“Excellent spanish food in a very nice part of Montreal”
Review of Restaurant Meson

Restaurant Meson
Ranked #237 of 6,715 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc-Extension
Reviewed July 10, 2017

Not just a tapas place. Appetizers and main dishes can be shared Fresh ingredients, simple and right on.
We've found it a dash too pricey.
But we will certainly go back next time in Villeray.

Date of visit: June 2017
Eloise S, Responsable relations clients at Restaurant Meson, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Make it an outing: top off your brunch or dinner at Meson with a stroll through Villeray, park Jarry and the Jean-Talon market!

Reviewed May 7, 2017

Meson is a general spanish restaurant we had never heard about before. In fact, my friend had other places in mind, but they were closed. Fine !!! Should they have been open on the day of the french presidential election, my friend and I would have missed MESON... We could eat the entree before, as Spaniards do sometimes, but we chose to finish our light meal with their delicious churros, with dulce de lecce. And we had splendid pastel de bacalao ( cod ) salada with salsa holandesa. And a juice of mixed oranges and grapefruit. Perfect meal. Perfect company. Splendid discussion. Friendly waiters. I shall go back for sure.

Date of visit: May 2017
Eloise S, Responsable relations clients at Restaurant Meson, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2017

Ghislain, you've really made our day!
Thanks for the positive feedback. How about dinner next time?

Reviewed December 16, 2016

This restaurant was referred to me by our very fussy clients. This December as I walked in, I was amazed at the layout of the place. What a beautiful restaurant and bar. The service was great... very effecient and cordial. Where I had some serious issues is the food itself which to me was way overpriced for the quality of what I had. I had the Paella which by the way is viewed as one of Spain's National dish. I expected to be wowed by this dish. Unfortunately , my paella was drowned in broth, pieces of chicken with uncooked skin, a few pieces of sausages and empty mussels (clams) but mostly my dish was cold. At $30.00 a plate, I was so disappointed. I love paella by I don't eat it everywhere as I know it won't be done right. My expections for this 5 star restaurant were high. Our colleague had to return her Bavette because her dish was also cold. Calamares con salsa brava was o.k. but no more. Pulpo a la gallega was awesome but quite expensvie for the entree. Cocas were fresh and good. Cocktails were also overpriced. Music was overly loud for nothing as the restaurant was full. WE were not comfortable with the loudness of the music in this place to enjoy a high end meal. The crowd noise was loud enough, they didn't have to blast us with the music volume. It seems that the chef was not ready for the capacity of this restaurant. Wines were excellent. Bravo for spanish wines!!!!! Service was also excellent. Would I return to Méson? Truly, I'm not sure!!! I'm usually not difficult but at that price, it has to be good;-)

Happy Holidays

Date of visit: December 2016
Eloise S, Responsable relations clients at Restaurant Meson, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2016

Hi there,
We are really sorry to hear you were disappointed with one of our dishes, but we’re glad we were able to make it up with your other selections as well as with the wine menu, the service and the decor. Please know that we take your feedback very seriously and hope to see you again at Mesón!

Reviewed December 3, 2016

Myself and 3 friends went to Meson on a Friday night to try something new. We made reservations for 6pm as we were meeting right after work. The decor is very nice with dark colors and a hip feel. We were therefore surprised to see quite a few very young children (at least 2 highchairs at the tables next to us) and 1-2 very small babies that were even too young for the highchairs. As the evening wore on the kids' crying along with the noise level of the other patrons was a bit annoying. As for the food ..... we were disappointed. We didn't find it very flavourful - actually a bit bland. For entrées I had the blood sausage pogos which were served with a nice slaw ($11) - there was a spicy creamy sauce alongside but it completely obliterated any flavour from the meat. My friends had the grilled ($15) and another one had the fried ($13) squid - verdict: nothing special. For mains 2 of us had the paella: again not much taste other than the few pieces of chorizo and at a price of $33 quite a sum for a few mussels and tiny clams, some shrimp, and a small piece of chicken. The others had the 'bouillabaisse' zarzuela ($25) which was good but not great. For dessert: a white chocolate flan (which my friend said didn't taste of white chocolate), and a nougat éclair (which was the highlight of the whole meal!). Wine can be had by the glass or bottle. The service was attentive throughout although our waitress was a bit too animated. We were definitely expecting more flavour for the price - maybe the other items on the menu are bigger on taste but we're not planning on returning.

Date of visit: November 2016
Eloise S, Responsable relations clients at Restaurant Meson, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2016

Hi there!
We are really sorry you’re evening at Meson didn’t meet your expectations. You give a detailed account, but we still have a few questions and would really appreciate it if you could give Victor, the owner, a call at 514-439-9089. Your feedback means a lot ;)
Thank you!

Reviewed October 24, 2016

We had dinner on a Friday night, you need a reservation as it was packed. Friendly and sophisticated waiters. Food was very good, however wine was pricy...as per example a bottle sold at SAQ for $20. was $55 at the restaurant... we thought that was little bit of a turn off. Definitely a challenge to park the car. Besides that, we enjoyed our dinner.

Date of visit: October 2016
Eloise S, Responsable relations clients at Restaurant Meson, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2016

Thanks for the feedback, Josée.
We'll be sure to tell our sophisticated waiters you enjoyed the food and service ;)
Hope to see you soon!