“Make sure you will not have an emergency!!!!!”
Review of Hotel Elegant

Hotel Elegant
Ranked #123 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I made a reservation for Hotel Elegant in Montreal for 2 nights as of Tuesday June 4th. I am aware this is a very economic hotel, but that did not matter to me as the plan was to rent a car and drive around the whole day and go there just to rest. The location was very important to us.. and it seemed this hotel was well located. It was an important small get away as my mother was visiting from abroad and we wanted to show her around.
We made the reservation through Booking.com and we were informed that the hotel will process a non-refundable charge for the first night. It did not bother us as we were 100% sure that we were going.
Unfortunately, my husband had a work related emergency and we could not leave the city as planned. I contacted Booking.com to request the cancellation and to see if it was possible to waive the charge due to this emergency. They had to contact the hotel to see if they approve. I received a call from Booking.com saying that they tried and that the hotel did not approved.
I work in the hospitality industry for 15 years and I never expected this answer. I work in a hotel myself and I am proud to say that we always do our best to accommodate and assist every guest need.. even if they cannot make it to the hotel. I know that hotels want to have the guaranteed payment.. but customers also matter.. you know....
Well, this is my story.. Make sure if you book here you do not have an emergency otherwise, the hotel will not consider assisting you with the cancellation.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Amololatino

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The place provides basic amenities. The beds are not that comfy yet its ok enough to sleep at. The washroom was acceptable. We asked for extra towels and the guy in the reception said he would bring it up but my cousin had to go get it himself after waiting for an hour. Its an ok place to stay if you only need a place to sleep at the end of the day

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed here recently and were not impressed. First of all, the rooms are not that clean. We stayed in a few different rooms because they kept moving us due to rooms being previously booked. One room we stayed in had yellow urine colored stains and grit around the toilet and it was puke gross. The shower curtains are not clean and need a good wash. The bedspreads are often dirty and stained and have cigarette holes in them. We think it is a nonsmoking hotel. It is best to D.Y.O.B. in other words Do Your Own Breakfast as the complimentary continental breakie leaves a lot to be desired. The croissants were limp and not too tasty and looked like they had been around the track a few times. The large muffins are not bad. The coffee was lousy and maybe if they cleaned their coffeemaker it would taste better. They only have milk for the coffee, no cream. We went down there one morning to get breakie and there was a really sour uptight woman serving. While we were putting items on the trays she suddenly shoved a paper towel and a napkin onto the tray without saying excuse me. This knocked the coffees over and wet the paper towels. It was really annoying and rude. They kept changing the prices from day to day. We were supposed to pay $69 for one night but they told us the next day the room would be $99. So we moved to a smaller one.

The hotel is ok if you want to catch a bus the next day and want a place to stay close to the bus depot. But we don't recommend staying more than two nights. It is way overpriced considering what you get in return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank sherri c
Reviewed March 21, 2013

For the price, you can't beat it.
The hotel Staff was awesome. The guys that work night are great. If you are new to the city, they will tell you the top places to go.
The room was what we expected, bring your own alarm clock as they don't have one. Great for a place to crash.
We will all be coming back to this hotel everytime we come to Montreal.
There is a very safe parking garage directly across the street as well (I believe it was $12 for 24 hours)
Steve is the best.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Colin S
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in April 2011, nothing fancy but a good room for the $$. Huge bathroom, good-sized room with a mini-fridge. Staff is not friendly but not hostile either. The worst part is audibility - you can perfectly hear your neighbours, so if you are a light sleeper, this place might not be for you (depending on the neighbours, of course). The best part is location, you can get to the downtown even on foot, plenty of bars & restaurants within a 5-minute's walk. Also, a nice indoor parking with reasonable prices is right across the street.
Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank D_Di_D
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I arrived in the late afternoon. The receptionist had suggested we use the indoor parking garage across the street as his car windows had recently been smashed. It actually worked out great. $9 to stay from 6pm until 12pm the next day and it was a nice clean parking garage.

The hotel was nice for a quick stay. We had plans to see a show that evening and knew we wouldn't spend much time in the room.

It was an average size room. Double bed with a bar fridge, table with 2 chairs, dresser and a fan (no a/c). I had asked for the jacuzzi upgrade thinking it would be a larger bath but that was not the case. It was still nice to enjoy the jets and we managed to both squeeze in!

The location was the best part. A couple of blocks from St. Catherine St. (which, in my opinion, is where it's at in Montreal!) however it was still close if you needed to stay for business. China town was walking distance which means the old port was too... if I had walked another 15 minutes.

We would go again based primarily on the location however I doubt we would go in the summer since we did not see any A/C units.

There was a restaurant in the hotel however we did not go.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennbooth
Reviewed October 7, 2012

we parked on the street upon arrival the man behind the dest went out side to help us find a free parking spot and helped me parallel park. he was super friendly, gave us plently of tips. The room was decent- i read some mixed reviews and brought my own sheets just in case but we really didn't need them. Although the pillows were a bit lumpy.

There is a secure parking garage across the street you have to pay extra but it's worth the $8/24hrs. That was really the selling point. For a budget hotel we were really satusfied, the location for perfect and walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple