“Great place for staying in Montreal”

Hotel Dauphin Montreal Downtown
Ranked #26 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great place for staying in Montreal”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Got this hotel from a trip advisor search, and in terms of what you get for the price, it's probably one of the best deals I've seen. The location is very good, just outside old Montreal. Parking is available in the nearby (1 block away) convention center. You can stop the car at the door, for unloading, and up to 15' minutes, which is ideal.
The rooms are functional, clean, with comfortable beds, and spacious. These are no frills, yet very modern accommodations. The bathroom was also very adequate.
The personnel was friendly, and provided very good service.
Breakfast, which is included, deserves its own mention; variety of breads, cereals, juices, fruits, yogurts, coffee options (including a self service expresso machine, which is quite important in my dictionary), all of it, all you can eat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandro1967

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Firstly - the staff were fantastic, polite, courteous and bi-lingual. We arrived as a walk-in (3 adults) at 10pm. It was a Tuesday night and the price was $160 +tax (took it up to $198.00).
The hotel was also built brand new in 1997.

Pros:
-Bi-lingual. For those of us who don't speak French, the staff and in room instructions were in both languages.
-Location. It's only a block from Chinatown; and cafe's, restaurants and metro station were all within a few blocks.
-Wood Floors. It's a bit different than what I'm used too, but a great feature. Healthier for anyone suffering with asthma.
-Room had a window that opened. There was a screen on the other side too.
-Beds were firm, but updated with comfortable sheets.
-Bathroom had a magnification mirror installed which was on an extension arm.
-Electric roll down blinds behind the wooden venetian blinds controlled from the wall beside the bed.
-Alarm clock was an iPod dock
-Need key to access after-hours door, downstairs washrooms and elevators. Felt very safe with this feature.

Cons:
-Was told at check-in that parking wasn't included and had to find somewhere at 10pm that wasn't closed.
-In room computer didn't work. (no big deal, we had laptops)
-Light above the bathroom mirror had one light bulb out. (again, annoying but not a deal breaker)
-Fitness Room had been shifted but the guest information books in the rooms had not been updated.

The bathroom was newly updated. Beautiful stone shower but for those of you with little ones there was no bathtub. They also have heated floors available only seasonally.

Breakfast wasn't the best or worst I had ever had. It was included with our stay. Basic cereals, juice, breads, hot beans, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and one variety of bagel, muffin and mini croissant. Another reviewer had mentioned chocolate croissants, however we weren't so lucky on our stay.

I would recommend it for business or people who like to be in the middle of things. Probably not so much for families.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are probably quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CAN
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. First the good. Location was very convenient to the convention centre. Also close to metro station. Restaurants and convenient store can be found nearby or within few blocks. The room looked clean. The bathroom looked updated with glass enclosed walk-in shower (no dingy shower curtain or shower door). The shower water was hot with good pressure. The room is not posh but it is more than satisfactory. Free wi-fi worked okay. Now for the bad. The parking garage only has 7 or 8 very tight spots. God help you if you have to maneuver into the last empty spot. The second night I noticed that the top sheet below the duvet was not changed. It had a distinctive black mark. No big deal. Then I noticed there was another top sheet over the fitted sheet. As I pulled back this top sheet I saw a light yellow stain on the fitted sheet in the middle of the bed. Real gross! I replaced the top sheet and went to sleep as it was so late. The next night I checked the sheets. Now the top sheet with the black mark was gone. So now I pulled back the top sheet that was there and that fitted sheet with the nasty stain was still there! Why did they remove one sheet but not the others? Makes me wonder if they even change sheets between guests!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel in April and I was very happy with the room and location and breakfast provided. The view wasn't very good but that's because we were given a room on the lower floors (3rd). The parking situation sounded so complicated that I decided not to take my car which was a great decision. I heard a few other people staying at the hotel having trouble with parking. I was happy with my choice in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights recently and it was great. It's a smaller hotel located a block from the Palais de Congres, Chinatown, metro station and vieux Montreal. Staff were polite and pleasant, rooms were super clean with wood floors (no dirty carpets here) fabulous shower and heated floors in bathroom. Rooms also have computers in them...what a great feature (I could leave my laptop at home!). I will definitely stay here again. Breakfast is included which is a bonus. There is a really good cafe right across the street and the pain au chocolat (chocolate croissant) were delicious.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver BC
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel is in a great location near old town Montreal and within walking distance to the convention centre. As well, it is on the bus route from the airport which I made use of and found it quite convenient.
That being said, I would NOT stay here again. There were several problems with maintenance that never did get addressed. The day I arrived, I reported that the outlet in the bathroom did not work, and that the light over the bed was flickering. These things never did get fixed. When I asked about it the next day I was told I could switch rooms if I wanted. This is not acceptable when you are on a tight schedule. So I declined, and asked them just to fix the problems. (They did admit that they had a previous complaint about the outlet - so why did they put me in that room when it hadn't been fixed?)
Then I discovered the toilet didn't work properly so I fixed it myself several times. I had given up on maintenance by this point.

As well, I was not impressed with their lack of emphasis on recycling. A little blue box was in the room, but no information on what they would or would not take; no encouraging signs about water usage, light and heat usage. They left bottled water in the room - but surely everyone knows that these are bad news for the environment. The tap water is fine and they should promote that.

All in all, I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Just don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BarbaraJVancouverBC
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We spent a couple of nights and couldn't be happier with the overall experience. The rooms and common areas were super clean, for a hotel in operation for five or six years it looks brand new. The location is excellent, right downtown and across from the Congress Centre. The breakfast, included in the price of our stay, was also an excellent value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple