New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #24 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Elmira, Canada
“Great Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a great stay at this Hotel! The staff were great, the location was amazing, right beside the Metro and a short walk to the Old Port and nearby shopping. The only thing we had a problem with was that the door is not soundproof, a bunch of loud and drunk kids woke us up one night, but thankfully they went to their rooms in a hurry. Other than that we had an awesome stay, the breakfast was a great add on too, there was always plenty to eat in the morning and made it super convenient!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is relatively small , but very clean with modern furniture and fittings .Bathrooms were up to date with hair dryers etc . Breakfast was a buffet with a variety of food , nothing cooked .
Free Wi Fi , reasonable underground parking with good walkable access to Old Montreal , downtown and the metro stations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RAGGEDNewHampshire
Edmundston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel. I love it. It is very small but the rooms are large with dust free hardwood floors. Free access to WIFI is a big plus, however we did loose the signal for a few seconds now and then. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast has a good variety of breads and fruits. I really enjoyed the automatic espresso and cappuccino machine. This time I parked under the hotel, but it is tiny and can only hold 7 cars. The last time, I parked at the convention centre a couple of minute walk from there. So drop of your bags before you park if you need to go to the convention center.

Friendly staff and high security (need room cards for elevator).

I will go again. I gave 4 stars mainly for the parking issue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

what i didn't like
- flaky wireless internet. Would slow down to the point that I could not load gmail.
- hardwood floors

- very quiet

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My fiance and I were in town for a visit to the US Consulate. This hotel was a 5 minute walk away, and relatively inexpensive, so we chose it based on that, and the reviews I've read.

The hotel is right downtown, and is a quick walk to St. Catherine and shopping, as well as to Old Montreal and Notre Dame. It's a perfect location for a tourist, I would say.

The hotel itself was 9 storeys, I believe, and our room was very spacious. We were on the second floor, and at first I was worried about being too close to the elevator, but we didn't hear anything at all. The rooms are very nicely decorated. I *love* the hardwood floors. There's a giant TV, plus a personal computer with internet access in every room (which was nice, because we didn't bring our laptops with us), so it's convenient to look up maps on a large screen instead of a smartphone.

The bathroom was nice - shower was gorgeous and modern. Toiletries were pretty good, too!

When we checked in, we paid $20 in advance for 24 hours of parking at the Palais Des Congres, which was basically right next door (but to drive there, you have to make a bit of a loop, because of the 1-way streets).

The breakfast was pretty good. Our appointment at the consulate was early in the morning, so we didn't get to see it right at the start of the day, but we were back before it was over, and it was still well-stocked.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to any travellers looking for a hotel in downtown Montreal. Check the deal sites (expedia, travelocity, etc) for a better rate if possible. We booked right through the hotel site, and it came to $184 after taxes and parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We took train to Montreal so we wanted to stay somewhere near the Station. It turns out the hotel is very centrally located with walking distance to old town, central shopping areas and even the Beau Art Museum de Montreal. Hotel was modern, efficient, clean and spacious. Continental breakfast was also sufficient, with several kinds of bread, yogurt, fruits and boiled egg. Overall great value for the money and would highly recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Dauphin when attending a conference. The conference centre (Palais des Congres de Montreal) was almost next door so that was great, and the Hotel is essentially on the edge of the old town and downtown so it was an easy walk to pretty much everything I wanted. Plenty of restaurants and places for a drink within 10 minutes walk.
The Hotel itself is reasonably basic, but the rooms are very comfortable, modern, clean and it is quiet. Fine for a business trip. There is even a computer in your room which you can access the internet from for free, but I struggled getting it off the French language setting. There is the usual tea and coffee complimentary but with the bonus of coffee bags being let down by having to use powdered creamer.
Breakfast is self serve in the small dinning room with basic cereals, bread, pastries, yogurt and fruit available. More than enough to fill you up if you like things reasonably simple. The coffee is from a machine as well and passable, just.
If you want to stay in the same area with more luxury etc. the Intercontinental is only 2 minutes away on foot so has all the advantages of the location. It is 5 star so it is naturally going to offer more but I suspect at a greater price ( I did not compare prices myself).
All in all I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Dauphin and I think it is more than adequate for a business trip, but if you are on holiday and looking for a bit more then perhaps you should consider other options. I did feel let down by the breakfast, particularly the coffee. It is a good hotel with good staff, I would give it a 3.5 if I could. Above average but not quite what I would rate as very good. For the review I'm going to round the rating up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business