“Great Jazz”
Review of Upstairs Jazz Club

Upstairs Jazz Club
Ranked #5 of 221 Nightlife in Montreal
Reviewed September 4, 2012

went to this club for some drinks / jazz on a saturday night. The have 3 shows, 8:30pm, 10:30pm and midnight. we went for the 10:30pm show, place was quite full. The jazz was very good. seating was very romantic with a dimly lit room and candles at every table, the table spacing was a little cramped though. They have a great selection of cocktails and scotches ( did not try any food here). Overall, highly recommend it for a nice drink and some quality jazz. Unfortunately they only take reservations for the 8:30pm show, but we showed up 20 mins ahead of time for the next show and got a decent table.

1  Thank krazy140
"stage"
in 8 reviews
"recording"

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I went to see a performance there last week and what a great night!!! Kimberley Beyea was performing and what a talented trio they are... their Summertime got me from the get go and Kimberley's original song, Moving On, I believe had my feet tapping, my fingers snapping and my head all bopping along to the same beat.

But Upstairs is a splendid venue in itself with its jazz cover menus and decor. The small intimate space harks back to the older jazz clubs and seems to be missing a thick fog of smoke and fancy ladies wearing long satin gloves. The food is also delicious, the cheese plate was wonderfully pungent and sated my friend's love of all cheeses. As for the Litchi Martini, it had a delicious punch that made me yearn for more.

My goal is now to go back to Upstairs for a full sitdown meal with some jazz....

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Being jazz lovers, this place was exactly what we looking for. It's exactly what we expected it to be...actually the only negative aspect is that we expected to find lots more of these places in Montreal, being such a important city when it comes to jazz...so I'd definitely be a regular if I were to live there. There is a 5$ cover charge...which is nothing!! The atmosphere is very pleasant, you can really feel the musicians' passion, being so close to them -but not too close. It's a bar and grill as well, so that makes it a perfect place for an evening with friends. Unfortunately we did not try the food, but the plates our neighbours ordered smelled delicious. The list of drinks is not very long, yet quite interesting, in fact we found something that satisfied our craving. They also serve lunch. I'll definitely go back next time around!

1  Thank BeaBloom
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Went there on a Friday night and my first time going to a jazz bar.
The atmosphere was beautiful (depending on where you are seated) and a very talented live band (Walls of Sound).
The music was superb and the staff especially the bartender was above and beyond as she visited us to ensure that our drinks were filled because the wait staff were busy.

Place is cozy and full of ambiance. I'd go here again on my next visit. As another poster has mentioned, best to eat food elsewhere. The menu items are a bit pricey and portions don't relate to price but i guess you pay for the atmosphere. BUT, I had already paid via a $10 cover charge for the show.

Food was delicious but not worth the portion and price.
Overall, I'd go here for the music and sounds of breathtaking and beautiful jazz.