“Excellent Botique Hotel”

Ranked #38 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Bloomington, IL
“Excellent Botique Hotel”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

This is a gem of a hotel. It is located within a 20 minute walk of Old Montreal and a 10 minute walk of St. Catherine Street. It is also located a block and a half from the Beri UQAM bus station, meaning you can take the 747 express bus to/from the airport very easily. The hotel itself is tastefully decorated in a simple but very comfortable manner. We stayed in a suite, which included a small balcony. We also had free internet access; I'm not sure if that is just for suite guests or if it is for all guests. The only drawback we found was that rue Saint Denis is a very busy street and can be noisy at night, even in the early morning hours. Since this is a small botique hotel, the noise from outside can be heard in the rooms that face the street. Otherwise, this hotel was excellent. There is also a restaurant attached to the hotel which is very good. The staff are very friendly.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 22, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with a trip to Montreal. Le Relais Lyonnais was the perfect place to stay. Our room was modern and comfortable. It is above a wonderful cafe and conveniently located near lots of restaurants. Staff was super nice and made us feel very welcome. Our room view wasn't the best but that was about the only flaw and it really didn't matter. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Relais Lyonnais over Memorial Day weekend. I selected the hotel based purely on the reviews on Trip Advisor and they did not deceive. This is a charming modern hotel in a lively neighborhood. It is right next to the Berri-UQAM metro which provides access to three different metro lines.

Our room faced the back and so we have no complaints about the noise from the street. The sound of the hair blow dryer from the neighboring room or room above us did wake me up one morning but I also have sensitive ears. My pillow was a little lumpy but I am sure if I had said anything they would have gladly exchanged it.

Albert and the others who work at the hotel's reception were not only eager to help but they also offered great advice on restaurants and sites. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
SIlver Spring, MD
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We just had a wonderful stay at Le Relais Lyonnais. We agree with everything positive that has been said on TripAdvisor. Albert and his staff could not have been warmer or more accommodating. Lovely, lovely place to stay in Montreal. Breakfast next door was outstanding!! Note: there is no elevator - if stairs are difficult for you.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We loved this wonderful hotel and the surrounding area! The service was great and we were even notified that we were getting bumped up to a larger room prior to our arrival! If you are looking for a great hotel, in a lovely area, close to a major subway line STAY HERE! You will not regret it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Le Relais Lyonnais is a jewel in the whole tripadvisor/user reviews system. I found this hotel on Tripadvisor; and now I'm just trying to pay it forward. I was a long-time resident of Montreal, years ago, and I was delighted to discover this hotel right on St-Denis. You'd think it would be too noisy on such a busy nightlife street, but my room was an oasis of peace and high threadcount slumber. You've got a great French book store less than a mile away (Marche du Livre, St-Hubert and de Maisonneuve), you've got the ideal place for the 1 AM munchies right up the street (L"Express, 3929 St-Denis), and you're also within walking distance of downtown Ste-Catherine street, Crescent Street, tea at the Ritz, swimming at L'Hotel de la Montagne, begging for change in the Carre St-Louis, and on an on. Normally you'd pay for such a location with bad value in a hotel. Le Relais Lyonnais is five-star value. Did anybody mention their breakfasts, down in La Brioche Lyonnaise? I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I chose this hotel solely based on the reviews that I read on TripAdvisor. Let me tell you.... Le Relais Lyonnais is not No.1 on the list for no reason. After a long haul from Toronto, we were very pleasantly greeted by Albert, where he not only gave us vouchers for free breakfast, but also upgraded our room to a fabulous suite.

This hotel is situated right by UQAM, therefore have several pubs and bars nearby. While I was there, UQAM was holding "Law Game" where all the law students gathered and partied until they dropped. It was loud at night, but it was out of ordinary.

Hotel is situated right in the middle of Old Montreal and downtown, and I found the location very ideal.

You need any recommendation? ask albert he will tell you which restaurants to go to, where to shop.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple