“Great place for World Film Festival”
Review of Le Relais Lyonnais

Le Relais Lyonnais
Ranked #42 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Seattle, Washington
“Great place for World Film Festival”
Reviewed September 20, 2008

We loved this place. Its proximity was unparalleled: across the street from eight Film Festival venues. We were there for four nights and three days, and saw five great films, walked all over central Montreal, and biked around a lot farther. The metro was a block away, cafes and restaurants were everywhere, and the cheerful bilingual innkeeper gave us several great tips, including directions to a fine and reasonably-priced French restaurant about 15 minutes away. The Latin Quarter is very youthful, and St. Denis gets fashionable yet remains unpretentious to the north. There's a wonderful sophisticated yet casual quality to Montreal, and Le Relais Lyonnais helps epitomize this.

Cool espresso machine in room and wifi available in the hall.

We'll be back!

• Liked — Proximity
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TomSeattle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed September 4, 2008

My sister and I stayed here for four nights during a two week trip to Canada. Booked it based on feedback from Trip Advisor and we were not let down.

The location was perfect: right in the heart of the latin quarter, near excellent restaurants, a stone's throw from a metro stop and within walking distance of several key attractions and the main shopping street, Ste Catherine.

The hotel's owner Albert is a legend! He really made us feel welcome and gave us loads of information that only a local could provide. Food in the cafe beneath the hotel is also excellent. We ate breakfast there on three out of the four days.

Top marks all round really. We'd definitely recommend this gem of a hotel to fellow travellers and would stay there ourselves again should we return. And we'd love to return!

• Stayed August 2008
3 Thank cb161
Fulham, London
Reviewed August 19, 2008

“2 STARS” on tripadvisor is defined as “OK, but some problems”, so I am giving a generous 3. I write this review with a heavy heart as this place is fundamentally nice, and perhaps my review will help fix the problems.

First, you have to ring the buzzer to enter the hotel as there was no-one around, so for a few minutes I was standing outside buzzing, to no avail. An unsmiling man (probably the grey haired chap mentioned in other reviews-not Albert), opened up. I entered a tiny but clean lobby (think vestibule of narrow townhouse). I checked in only to find that my confirmed booking (from 4 months before) had been shortened from 5 nights to 4. I suspect they had bumped me out to accommodate another reservation. The grey haired man called someone to find out what was happening, and proceeded to scream down the telephone, with what I can only describe as visceral anger. Not boisterous shouting, but scary shouting. This shouting lasted for some time, and was not only extremely rude, but can’t be doing that man’s blood pressure any good. Basil Fawlty rating: 10/10.

They decided to move me to a different hotel for the last night, and although not delighted I agreed. I was then charged up front for the entirety of my stay. I was already feeling concerned, so when I meekly questioned if I could pay at the end, again a barrage of surliness!

My allocated room (Room 1) (ground floor facing the street) was next to reception, which felt a little odd. The room was small but accurately represented on the website, and the quality of the fixtures and fittings was fine, again spotlessly clean. There was coffee but no tea…bed linen nice. My main problem however was it was right next to the street. As such, it was noisy from traffic and the garage/jungle/rock music from nearby establishments (it was mid-afternoon). This coupled with my bad experience at reception and the fact that they did not honour my reservation, made me decide to pay for the night and check out. I gave 20 hours notice rather than the requisite 24, so again got a stout telling off! Grey-haired-man did try and charge the extra night but after calling someone they kindly let me go.

If this had been a more expensive place, they would have been given a 1 star. Messing up a reservation is inexcusable whatever the establishment. However, I do feel a bit sorry for the man, he seemed so world-weary and if I were on holiday rather than business, I might have been a bit more relaxed about the noise and position of the room.

In summation, if you go expecting the terrible rudeness, and if there are no booking “hiccups”, the price/quality ratio is high and you will have a great stay.

• Liked — The elegance of the rooms.
  • Disliked — Not honouring my reservation.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank WanderingWomble
St. Petersburg
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We stayed here during the first week of July and had a wonderful time. The location was great-- walking distance from many attractions and very close to the Beri-UQAM metro station. We actually wound up staying in three different rooms because we shuffled our trip around after we arrived. We had planned to go to Mont Tremblant for a day and wound up going a day later than we planned. Albert was a great host and made it very convenient for us to switch rooms. I have to say, the best part of the room(s) was the awesome rain shower. Probably the best hotel shower experience I have ever had! I hope we can plan another trip to Montreal (and Le Relais Lyonnaise) soon!

• Liked — The awesome shower!
  • Disliked — Can be a little noisy, especially if people are moving around on a floor above
2 Thank JB5150
Leicester, UK
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Last time we visited Montreal we stayed in a big modern hotel downtown so this time we wanted something different, which this certainly is! It is housed in a typical Montreal Latin Quarter townhouse with an external iron staircase to the front door. (the internal staircase is steep, too.) Our room was very stylish and immaculate, but lacked some of the advertised features (including a fridge - it would have been good to not have to go down to the cafe to beg milk every time we wanted to make tea in our room!). It was also a little small for the price. However, I was pleased it was at the back of the hotel as Rue St-Denis is busy until late.

There are loads of places to eat on the doorstep, many, but not all, catering for the student market, but the hotel's cafe is recommended by several guides for its breakfasts and the nearby Confused tapas bar perfectly encapsulates the eclecticism of this area.

If you want to stay in the Latin Quarter (and we certainly enjoyed doing so), this is the place to choose. Otherwise, you might get more for your money elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Size of room
3 Thank ianewestt
Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My husband and I visited this hotel/inn at the very end of May. I have to thank TripAdvisor for this great find (I certainly would not have found it on my own). There is a reason this place is consistently rated as one of the top (if not the top hotel) in Montreal. That reason is simply Albert. My husband and I like planning weekend getaways. Within driving distance of our home, we have a large selection of modern, luxurious hotels but the differentiating factor really comes down to service. Albert runs the hotel and greets you with the warmest welcome. It felt like we were visiting a relative that was happy to see us. Albert really goes out of his way to make your stay special. He really understands how to be friendly and helpful without being obtrusive.

Le Relais Lyonnais only has seven rooms but the size is part of the charm. We had a quiet and peaceful stay. Our room was modern without feeling cold. The shining hardwood floors, the luxurious bedding, the flat screen TV, California shutters and fantastic shower were all within the comfortable yet contemporary tone of this boutique hotel.

We loved La Brioche Lyonnaise downstairs. We enjoyed two superb breakfasts and late night pastries on the patios of this charming restaurant. The café au lait was fantastic.

The hotel is located in the Quartier Latin. Conservative suburbanites will definitely experience a different vibe while staying in this lively and colourful urban neighbourhood. There was a lot of action in the area but it was nice to retreat to the serenity of Le Relais Lyonnaise at night.

We didn’t see Albert when we left. I am sure I would have had to hug him. So Albert, if you are reading this, let this glowing review serve as your “hug.”

• Stayed May 2008
3 Thank Back2Cali
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Here are my thoughts on this great boutique hotel:

-perfect location

-clean, modern rooms

-The adjoining restaurant/pastry shop is fantasic

-Albert, the owner, is extremely friendly and helpful - a pleasure to talk to.

• Liked — overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — everything was great
2 Thank JMW20