“Right in the heart of the action” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Relais Lyonnais

Le Relais Lyonnais
Ranked #40 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Right in the heart of the action”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A great stay at this quaint hotel. Right in the heart of a very busy St Denis street with many attractions and eating places. The room was very clean and well organized. Very quiet for such a busy area. The restaurant below was convenient and offered a wide selection of tasty delights. They have an association with the parking garage across the street. A nice place to stay at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: try to get there before 7PM, as the office in not around the clock.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ScottInToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. You might expect to hear a lot of noise as you're right on St-Denis - that wasn't the case at all - at least not from our room (102). The room was small but with everything we expected and needed. We found the place very clean. The manager was extremely attentive and served us very well. The hotel is close to everything.

The parking was a little tricky to find but once you know where to go, it's quite easy - it's in the garage of the St-Denis Theatre. You will run into homeless people but has nothing to do with the hotel - it's just that a fact of life.

Almost forgot - we made great coffee with the coffee machine in the room!

Below the hotel, there a lovely restaurant, "La Brioche Lyonnaise" - we had great breakfasts there - but that's for another review!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Hole_Hole
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in a “Deluxe Queen” room at the rear of the hotel. The location is in the heart of the student area close to a metro station which is very lively with many bars and restaurants located directly outside the hotel. As our room was at the rear it was quiet, however Im not sure if this would be the case for one of the front rooms. The room was modern with a fridge, bottled water and a very good espresso machine (tea bags were also provided for tea drinkers but there was no means of boiling water!?). The shower was excellent although there was no bath, unfortunately however the air conditioning unit was placed directly above the bed and water dripped from it onto our heads throughout the night. There wasn’t much living space in our room which was medium sized and there are no other amenities in the hotel available to guests (reception area is very small) so this did give us a claustrophobic feel to our stay however at the price charged we were happy with the stay.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms might be noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My girl booked a weekend at the Lyonnais for my birthday, it was perfect. A boutique hotel with the friendliest staff to greet you when you check in. The place surely has history I didn't look into yet the room had a modern flair while maintaining it's character. It's in the middle of some nightlife/dining so noise is to be expected. If you're looking for utter quiet it's not the place for that. If you like the hustle and bustle of seeing people out and enoying themselves you're right amongst them. We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank opuscat
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am reminded of an 'auberge' that I stayed in in Terrebonne, which I loved. The big difference here is the location and much more modern. I booked the regular room through our company travel agency (no choice) and requested a high room as I usually do. I just realized that I got the upgraded Suite on the 3rd floor!

I didn't have much interaction with the staff. I checked in late as I had business to attend to once I landed, and was off to dinner shortly after I checked in. It was pretty quiet when I got back after dinner, and it is hard to tell how many rooms are occupied. The front desk is not manned at night. The light dimmers in the room were nice and the washroom vent has a timer (very smart).

The bed springs were slightly squeaky, but still comfortable. I encountered the same type thermostat that I did with the auberge and not sure how it works. The wi-fi is finicky, which is probably due to the room being high up, which did make it inconvenient at times, especially when I had to get some work done. Lastly, the Cafe and Bistro was not open in the morning, around 7:45 am on a Thursday.

This is my first 'excellent' rating and it is deserving of its ranking, currently at #12. I would gladly come back and pay regular price for personal or business use if I get the chance.

Room Tip: Suite 301 all the way! Although you have to deal with stairs, it is worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank John A
Monroe, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located on St. Denis right next to tons of bars and restaurants. Only a few blocks from St. Catherine and short walk to Old Montreal. The people working at this place were very friendly and happy to show us things to do and give us directions. The hotel is small but in such a perfect way. Great for couples. The furnishings are very modern, very clean, amazing shower. Bed was very comfortable. Also, even though we were there on a weekend by a bunch of bars, we could not hear a thing once in our room! Choosing this place made our trip to Montreal wonderful and stress-free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alyssa M
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the best hotel in Montreal. Bar-none. Boutique-style, and comfy. The rain showers are heaven and the owners are like old friends. I've stayed there now, 4 times I believe. Once for a combination business/personal trip and the rest of the times for personal trips.

One of our visits happened to occur when they were just finishing renovations from a pipe bursting in a room and instead of it being a pain, they had already arranged for a room at another nearby (more expensive) hotel (it was nice but just not the Relais), paid for a cab to take us there, free breakfast at the hotel or the Relais the next day and then the next day when the room was back in ship-shape we came back to the Relais. (They had offered to pay for us to stay at the other more expensive hotel for the duration of our stay but we chose to come back to the Relais... it really is our favorite).

The cafe downstairs is AMAZING. They have the most delicious desserts and crepes and the staff is very warm and welcoming.

This trip, Albert is going out of his way to get us another room at a different hotel for one of the nights of our stay because they are all booked up. Again he's gotten us into a more expensive hotel for the same price as we'd be paying him and its all arranged. I had to do NOTHING. Amazing service!

There are lots of great restaurants, stores, the Theatre St. Denis right across the street. Parking is underneath the Theatre, so very convenient.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the concerts or the hotel more on this trip. That's how much we love it at the Relais.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms on the back of the hotel for more quiet. And so I don't get hungry smelling...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple