“Cheap & Clean, OK for <2 nights”
Review of Hotel Visitel

Hotel Visitel
Ranked #91 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Ottawa
“Cheap & Clean, OK for <2 nights”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed in room 102 (ground floor) for 2 nights in Feb 2012. We had a bathroom next door for our own, but not ensuite.

Positive:
- Location (Quartier Latin, 2 min to Metro station)
- Clean (both room and bathroom)
- Towels provided
- Bed OK
- Room service
- Flat Screen TV
- Nice staff
- Price!

Negative:
- Not soundproof! You will hear everything going on outside, plus the air conditioning is pretty loud too. Definitely bring earplugs. I could not sleep even although I did.
- They use absolutely unbearable air freshener. I'm not a sissy, but I could hardly breathe.
- Room pretty small, no wardrobe, rather cold
- On the day of our departure, there was no hot water in the bathroom.

ALL IN ALL:
It's OK if you stay for a weekend and spend most of your time outside. It's clean and has rather reasonable prices and nice staff. For >2 nights, the room size and wafer thin walls might make your stay a rather uncomfortable experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
B.C.
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Our group of 8 stayed at the Visitel in the summer of 2011 for several days.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, going out of their way to ensure our comfort.
The location was great, central for "old town". All in all, excellent value !
Ken/Diana

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite small, but others are very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank KenandDi
Paris, France
Reviewed February 7, 2012 via mobile

Booked a room for 4 and got a room,301,that had 2 separate rooms,but no door separating the rooms though which wasn't a problem for us at all. We even had our own balcony.we managed to get a free parking spot that could just fit our dodge caravan.
The staff was ok, the room was good considering it was so cheap. The walls are thin and could hear a couple practicing bedroom gymnastics in the middle of the night.
Great location by main bus station and metro and also convenient for walking around.

Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Shortymaria
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I booked a room with private bathroom in September. Upon arrival the first thing that the receptionist did was charging my credit card for the full amount, which seemed suspicious from the beginning. After I walked upstairs to the room I've noticed that it didn't have private bathroom, only the shared one on the floor. The receptionist tried to give us another room for the night then which was in unaaceptable condition, the patio door couldn't be closed and the heating was on (seriously? it is 75F outside!!). And guess what the receptionist answer was: "What do you expect? This is not a 5 star hotel." What a joke! They even refused to refund the charge for the night. One good advise: DON"T LET THEM CHARGE your card before you see your room!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maksym S

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Calais, VT
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We wanted a place to stay for an overnight that was clean but not overpriced: Hotel Visitel fit the bill. Great location; professional, courteous staff; clean/basic room: just what we were looking for. Only complaint is that they were renovating breakfast area during out stay so no coffee/breakfast. I'm guessing that will be fixed in near future.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew N
Vietnam
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I had booked my room at the Visitel by phone from Toronto. The male receptionist assured me that I had a room with an ensuite bathroom. I finally found the hotel after following his wrong directions from the subway station. I dragged my bag up 4 flights of steep stairs to room 401. As he showed me the very, very basic room I asked where is the bathroom? He showed me - down the corridor past two other rooms, but he said it was my "private bathroom." I protested that this is not what I expected or asked for. We played the semantics game around what constitutes a "private bathroom" while I insisted on another room. He said the hotel was full. It was dark and cold and I was in no mood to drag my bag back down four flights of stairs and out into the cold night and go look for another hotel. I endured a night of having to get dressed and remember my card/key when I needed the bathroom.

The next morning I met the very nice owner and she gave me a much nicer room with a proper ensuite bathroom for my next night and explained how difficult it was to get good bilingual staff in Montreal.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 401
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank TravelbugVietnam
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at this hotel last November, It was Good for price,
It is basic Hotel ,No fancy But Clean but the staff were helpful.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business