“Way nicer hotels in Montreal for same price. ”

Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville
Ranked #76 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Came here for a bachelor party. We booked a suite with two rooms and two Queen beds. We ended up getting a single room with two doubles. Called front desk and they switched us to another room that was the same but with a pull out couch. Didn't really solve our problem.

The rooms are actually relatively clean. The beds suck and the pillows are terrible. When I first walked in and saw the lobby I was very unimpressed. Horribly ugly. Service and staff were nice. Bunch of kids at this hotel that think they are cool but are idiots, arrogant and rude. Nothing staff can do about that but they tried by have a security guard in the lobby. Will I come back, likely not. Better hotels for same price.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paolo182002
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Hello Paolo182002,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. We do our best to honor the type of room on every reservations and when it is book on a third party website the room type are not guaranteed. In the coming months we will be doing some improvement such as, new pillows and new beddings for the rooms. We appreciate your feedback and take in consideration your comments to better improve our service. Sincerely, Julie S. – Guest Service Manager

Reviewed March 20, 2014

We spend 6 nights at this hotel last week as part of a group travelling to Montreal for a National level sports competition. Our athletes wake up early -5am is normal and often get home late -9/10pm. When we get back to the hotel the athletes need to eat and sleep and that is why we book hotels with kitchen suites and why we chose Candlewood. I have to say I was very disappointed in the hotel. They should not book groups like ours knowing that we will encounter the type of problems and issues that come with groups at hotels alongside the 'party' boys! I don't know where to start but in the name of brevity I will say on the first night we had 4 police cruisers at the hotel after one of our chaperones was punched in the face when he verbally confronted a young man who had just 'mooned' (front and back) one of our 12 year old athletes...one of the young women I was chaperoning came to me to report a 'blunt' in her room - I took pictures - either the cleaning staff is getting high while cleaning (I hardly blame them as the condition some of these rooms were left in was gross) or not doing a very good job...The other mom with whom I was sharing a room had to request a new 'cover' for her bed when she discovered a large white stain (yuk) on the top blanket -- pretty obvious as to what it was and pretty disgusting to say the least! I also took pictures of this...The staff were nice - the rooms were spacious - the kitchen was great to have...no cleaning of the rooms is done while you are there so it is a long visit with no vacuuming or bed making...if you want towels you can get new ones if you bring the old ones to the front desk........we will not be staying there again..oh yes and the parking - first come first serve and not always easy to get a spot!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Eileen B
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear eileentoronto,
My sincere apologies, this was in fact a very unique and awful situation. Being an extended stay hotel, where our guests usually stay for long periods of time and want to have more of a "feel at home" experience. We are very careful of the business we book in our hotel for that reason. We are a limited service hotel with weekly cleaning, which might have not been clarified to you and my apologies. However, this does not excuse some of the cleanliness issues you have mentioned, which will be addressed and followed-up with. I do share with my staff the importance of "above and beyond" service no matter what.
Also, I need to address the "party boy" event, as this was a difficult situation for myself - we can't control business that comes through Expedia and other 3rd party websites. This was not an event that I had encountered before, as the General Manager, I felt it was imperative to call the police officers, not once but twice in order to deal with this unique case and remove the boys from property in order to protect my hotel guests and staff, I also ordered additional security and believe I did everything I could do.
I do understand your concerns and thank you for sharing – It’s unfortunate that your experience wasn’t what our other guests keep coming back for.
In Hospitality,
Céline Diotte
Candlewood Suites Montreal - General Manager

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Descent room but woke up the next morning to a whole bunch of ants crawling in almost every corner of the room, all over the carpet, living room space and entrance to the bathroom. Brought it to the attention of the front desk staff, but all they said was "sorry about that, we will have someone take a look". Lack of remorse shown and even though I had a special rate, they could have done offered something to compensate for that as bugs is an issue of sanitation that I didn't expect to pay for.

• Stayed: March 2014
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear Charlyyy123,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay at the Candlewood Suites. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Our Housekeeping manager was already advised of the situation. You can contact us at your convenience to discuss more of the situation that occur. Again we are sorry for the problems that it caused you. Sincerely, Julie S. - Guest Service Manager

Reviewed February 22, 2014

It was my first exposure to the concept of a home like hotel, where you do everything by yourself!
No Room service, concierge, bell boy, daily housekeeping, etc... you know your usual hotel experience.

However, it was sincerely a pleasant one, the 1 bedroom suite was adequate for 2 persons and the fully equipped kitchen can fulfil magic with the right will and attitude. :)

The location is the most important feature as 3 minutes walk to the metro station with endless possibility as long you are within the DT (Down Town) area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AYousef
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hello AYousef,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay. The standard of the brand Candlewood Suites is to offer weekly services to our guest. It allows them to have their privacy. We are glad to hear that the location was convenient for you. I will pass along your comments to the staff.
Again thank you for your review.

Julie S- Guest Service Manager

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is a "suites" property, which means they only clean your once a week!
Since I booked this as a "3 star hotel" through Hotwire, I was very disappointed.
In my book, hotel has a daily cleaning service.

The fact the staff is very nice, and that the room is spacious and nice is no help
When I am on a busy business trip I do not expect or have the energy to end the day with having to wipe the floor and scrub the toilet

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Hello UpForTravelGuy,

We woul'd like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay.The
standard of the brand Candlewood Suites is to offer weekly service to our guests. It allows them to have there privacy and to be environmentally friendly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Again thank you for your comments.

Julie S.- Guest Service Manager

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Candlewood Suites for a month, this was our first "home" in Montreal. Service was okay, though not stellar. Staff were generally friendly and polite.

What we appreciated the most:
~ Complimentary items, like coffee and kitchen stuff (diswashing liquid, etc.) Those little things helped us a lot while we were still settling down, all jet-lagged and tired :)
~ Pet-friendly.
~ Free wifi with good speed.
~ Laundry room is free to use, there are washing machines and dryers.
~ Business center with 2 computers and printer.
~ Small convenience store in the lobby, which comes in handy if you don't have time to walk to the supermarket.
~ Location is excellent, right in downtown Montreal. Near the Metro (Champ de Mars) and Chinatown, as well as shopping areas at St. Catherine.
~ Quite pleased that we weren't charged for breaking a drinking glass and melting a cooking spatula in the dishwasher.

What we weren't really too hot about:
~ Housekeeping was inconsistent - they were supposed to clean every week, but they'd miss a week sometimes, and there were times when we didn't get the appropriate number of towels.

Overall, this an okay hotel to stay in, no major complaints. I would recommend this for families or groups to get best value for money, considering the good location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VeeMeow
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Hello VeeMeow,
First of all i would like to thank you for your review. We are happy to see taht you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. It is great that the location was convenient for you.We will take note of your comments about the housekeeping and with your feedback we will make the improvement on the service towards are longterm stay guests. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again. Julie S- Guest Service Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Our 2 night stay here was just ok. The staff was helpful but did not go out of their way. The rooms were dirty and the bathroom sink was stopped up. The room was quite and big however. If we return to Montreal, I do not believe I will be booking here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Hello Charles K,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a comment. We are very sorry that you have experience problems during your stay. The manager of housekeeping is already aware of the issues and they are making the follow up so that this problem does not happen again. With your feedback we can make the improvements to be at your sastisfaction. Sincerely, Julie S - Guest Service Manager