“Overpriced”

All Suite VIP Saint-Jacques
Bermuda
“Overpriced”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed for 2 weeks in July. The location in Old Montreal is excellent. Our general impression upon seeing the 2 bedroom apartment was good - well decorated and spacious. Beyond the superficial appearance though everything was shoddy. They provide the cheapest towels and sheets. The pillows wouldn't even be acceptable in a veteren's hospital. No toilet paper holders. The dishwasher almost falls out everytime it is opened. On 3 occassions we had building staff (including the owner) just walk into the apartment using their pass keys! The underground parking is only suitable for sub compact cars and our rented car was a nightmare to park. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, but the owner was not. Considering how much we paid, I would not recommend this apartment hotel as good value.

• Liked — location and convenience of having a kitchen and washer/dryer
  • Disliked — lousy condition of the place
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank glashead

New York
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We booked our 3 rooms in January through LateRooms.com and had the hotel manager email us directly with confirmation. However when we showed up at the hotel in June he said that he no longer works with that website and has canceled all the reservations without telling anyone. LateRooms.com had no knowledge of the change and we were left high and dry. Please avoid this hotel, after reading the other reviews it looks like we are not the first people to be treated this way.

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank creamportion

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Michigan
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I booked a three night stay at the St. Jacques six weeks before my arrival on Orbitz. I paid in full and got a low-price guarantee and late check-in. My family and I drove from Michigan to Montreal and arrived at the hotel at 10 pm. We were told that there were no rooms available despite the fact that I had already paid for our room. We were given directions to a different hotel about five or ten minutes drive away. The second hotel only had a standard room (we were two adults and three kids), but we stayed there because we had nowhere else to go. In the lobby we met other people sent from the St. Jacques and the management of the second hotel said that the St. Jacques regularly overbooks. The following morning we checked out to return to the St. Jacques. THere was a brief fight with management of the second hotel who went back on their original agreement not to charge me for the hotel. I finally gave in when they got the owner of the St. Jacques on the telephone who promised to reimburse me. I also paid for parking and a cot, because the second hotel room was too small.

That day the owner of the St. Jacques did reimburse me for the hotel charge but then grew angry when I said I would still complain to Orbitz for the mistake in the overbooking and for the fact that I had to go to a different hotel, pack and unpack, and lose time out of an already short stay in Montreal. The owner laughed at me and said that it was no big deal and that I should be happy. He never made any offer to reimburse me for anything. He was so rude, it was a little unbelievable. I was not being irrational or even that angry, at that point I was resigned to a pretty bad experience, but he made it several times worse. What a jerk he was!

But it gets worse. This is not a real hotel. There is no housekeeping, the rooms are not supplied with sufficient towels, toilet paper, or soap. The kitchen is nice but has hardly anything in it. There was stove but not even one pot, nor a teapot. The concierge had to be contacted numerous times simply for additional towels. He must hire the very few Montrealers who aren't bilingual because most of our conversation was in a kind of hilarious sign language with my bad high school French.

Orbitz should make it much much clearer on their website that this is not an "all suites hotel" like Springhill or Embassy. It is an apartment building being used for short-term stays. As long as you bring your own supplies and check and re-check that a room is available, you could probably have a very nice stay. Just avoid the owner.

• Liked — location and size of room
  • Disliked — service and management. It is chaotic and unprofessional
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank GaoMin
Toronto
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We stayed on this suite for 2 days. They have a modern decor but lack of essential details such as no toilet paper handlers in the washrooms, no towel handlers in the shower rooms, a broken cupboard door handler & dirty floor.

We stayed there at off peak season so we could get a hotel indoor parking, we drove into the back alley of their hotel, it's very narrow. Inside the garage, a staff took over & parked our car because it's underground, they have to use an escalator. We don't have a nice car so I guess it's ok.

The worst is they overcharged the parking fee. I called them, their staff said it's because we took 2 parking spaces. I explained to them that it's not possible because we only have 1 car, it's a normal size & their staff parked it for us, they promised to call us back with an explanation but they didn't call us back, so we called again, they said just send them an email, so we did, but they didn't reply. We also faxed them the complain, again they didn't response. Finally we decided to file a dispute through master card & right now we are waiting the result.

Their customer service is the worst of all hotels we have been to.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — management & customer service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank LiaToronto
florida
Reviewed December 14, 2007

liked the hotel it was a magnificent journey people of the hotel are pleasant(kind) and quite see to it that you are indeed. The apartment was a magnificent state for which to ask furthermore really I recommend has all this hotel under shall return to it it is on

• Liked — The confort
  • Disliked — The swimming pool was to close for young works
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Nova Scotia
Reviewed September 13, 2007

In July 2007, three couples traveled to Montreal for the Just for Laughs festival. I had booked a 2 bedroom suite early in 2007 and it looked great! We wanted to be downtown and accessible to nightlife and the festival. The night before our reservation, my husband and I arrived but stayed by the airport awaiting our family/friends to arrive the next day.

A little background. I booked this hotel/suite early in the spring and obtained a reservation for a two-bedroom suite. When I booked the suite originally, I spoke once to the manager but was told to call back. Fortunately , when I called again I was given over to a nice young man who made our reservation and even gave me his personal cell phone in case we needed to contact him which turned out to be necessary.

In the following months, I called the VIP Saint Jacques on three separate occasions after our initial reservation was made for an upgrade to a 3-bedroom and spoke to the manager (he was the only one to speak with at that time). He was rude and very difficult to understand on each occasion. During the last call, mid-spring, he said to check a week before we were to arrive and perhaps there would be a 3-bedroom suite. Each time, the manager provided little-to-no customer service etiquette as he was impatient when I couldn't understand him. He was very French but that has never been a major issue in Montreal for me as I am functionally bilingual from a French-speaking family! and moreover, each time he was extremely abrupt and rude.

So, back to the day of our check in. I called to inquire about check in time and this same manager informed me that we didn't have accommodations! I said WHAT? I gave him our confirmation number and was incredulous when he said that we just didn't have our suite, sorry. I explained that there were now six people without accommodations and we were not informed of this and... and... and. I tried to find out the cause but to no avail. He just wanted me off the phone. Needless to say, I was very irate after trying to reason with him and find some middle-ground. In the end, I said I would call back in a half hour and wanted a resolution. He didn't seem to care in the least and was, again, was extremely rude.

My husband called the hotel we were currently staying in and tentatively reserved a 2-bedroom suite, just in case. In the meantime, I used the personal cell phone number of the young gentleman who made our reservation and left him a voicemail. He immediately returned my call (although it was his day off) and explained that it was his assumption that there had been a water pipe break on the floor above us a few days previously causing damage to the floor below and that was why we didn't have a room. I asked him why no one called us (they had all our contact numbers) and he indicated he was sorry but things were hectic and that the hotel would probably find us some type of apartment/suite accommodation. I told him the manager on this occasion and other times was extremely rude and he said, well, he is Parisian and that it was the way he was.

Regardless... I would not trust this hotel mainly because the manager really doesn't care (he could have at least explained to me the reason and I would have been worried about getting accommodations at this late date, but at least I would have understood.) This was a terrible experience mainly because it was a poor reflection on one of our lovely cities! We travel extensively and are pretty darn easy-going!, however, this type of treatment was inexcusable.

Our trip was only made bearable because we had a wonderful 2-bedroom suite (albeit at the airport, hence more travel and not as quaint/downtown), the festival was great, and Montreal is, as always, awesome.
Honestly, if I could tip the manager my tip would be "get out of the hospitality business!"

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank NB_NovaScotia
California
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I should have read a previous review before falling into the same trap. Made my reservation through AAA only to find the place locked when I arrived around midnight on Saturday.

They had a phone number on the door. I called and all I could do was leave a message. Then I called a cell number on the door, only to leave another message.

Now it's 2am; I managed to get into the lobby next to it because of the kindness of strangers who saw my wife and I with suitcases and in the street at 2am. Finally, somebody claiming to be the owner of the building came to our rescue: called a very nice hotel accross the street and got us accomodations there for our 3 day stay at close to our original reservation price.

I went there on Sunday again to find out what was going on and, still, there was nobody there. The place is locked and there's no way to get a hold of anybody.

DON'T STAY HERE!!! IT'S A TRAP!!!

• Stayed September 2007