“Amazing Experience”

Auberge de Paris
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I highly recommend the Auberge de Paris. I went up to Montreal for the weekend to attend an audition and had never been to Montreal before. The hostel is perfectly located a few blocks from the bus station and so many different restaurants that it was hard for me to choose where I wanted to eat. They recently renovated the place so the past ratings are very inaccurate. I found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful considering I speak little french. They went out of their way to make sure my experience in Montreal was memorable. They have free internet access and tv which is always a plus and the prices were the lowest out of all the hostels I researched. I loved my experience there and will only ever stay at the Auberge de Paris when I travel to Montreal. The people I met were truly nice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I highly recommend this hostel. The staff was very helpful and very friendly. The staff put in a lot of effort to make sure you enjoy your stay in Montreal. The hostel has clearly been through many renovations and I assure you that the ratings from a while ago should no longer be considered. The place has a very comfortable and welcoming feeling. This is a great hostel for a great price. The location is very close to the bus station, metro station, and a short walk to downtown. We all loved our experience at Auberge de Paris and will recommend it to everyone. Thank you for the great stay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I don't normally write reviews, but just wanted to counter a few of the negative reviews below, which I was pretty surprised to read. I stayed at the hostel for a couple of nights recently and thought it was great. It's really reasonably priced, clean, colourful, has a great kitchen and really friendly staff. It's undergoing some renovations and a general revamp at the moment, so it's set to get a whole lot cooler with activities etc. Plus, it's in a really sweet location in Montreal. I'd definitely stay here again and recommend it to whoever is passing through.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Fern T
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2012

my friend and i spent this past weekend in Montreal, and ended up staying at the Auberge De Paris because of the attractive $20/night price. when we arrived at the hostel, we were handed our keys by a friendly member of staff, then headed to our room. we werent expecting much, but the place actually ended up being very nice for the price.

the room we stayed in was a dormitory style with three bunk beds, and i was very comfortable during the night. the sheets felt clean and there was no trouble with the mattress. we had our own bathroom, which was quite small, but clean enough. they are currently repainting and fixing the place up a bit, and so far the improvements look very nice. the hostel is a good size, too. small enough to feel cozy, but big enough that you can have your privacy.

the staff was lovely, and made us feel very welcome. the whole atmosphere of the place is quite enjoyable. we met some very cool people from various places, and made new friends.

all in all, i had a great experience at the Auberge De Paris. i met some really nice people, slept in a comfortable bed, and was quite honestly sad to leave. this is a good place to stay for a very impressive price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My stay at the Auberge to Paris was in May 2011... I spent two nights there, and though the location is really convenient (not far from DT and really close to the bus station if that's where you're going), it was probably one of the weirdest experiences ever.

One of the nights, we heard a couple having really loud and raunchy sex upstairs, which attests to the fact that the walls hide absolutely nothing.The rest of the night consists of random people showing up and taking one of the bunkbeds until about 1 or 2 in the morning, waking you up in the process because they're squeaky as hell. The people who show up at night are more likely to have been kicked out of their house than it is likely that they are travelling.

There was trash on the stairs, which made it pretty difficult for me to get my luggage around. Also, I felt a bit dirty when using the shower or wandering the hallways. Also felt a bit weird when showering. One of the times when I walked inside and gave a friendly hello to the old man covering reception, he gave me a glare asking who I was and what room I was staying in (en français, bien sûr!) which is nice for security, but not really helping their cause. They were renovating the kitchen area when I was there. Maybe the renos will help, because they don't got much going on right now. Not a place to stay if you're a travelling student or want to meet other students, but if you live in Montréal and your lover gave you the boot, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Krakow, Poland
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The place was dirty, I found that my bed was not made and the washrooms were tiny, crowded and dirty. We were staying on a different building that the main one, with no one from the hostel controlling the entrance of people. The door was open all the time so at one moment I thought we had some guest that were not costumers (the place was crowded). We were received by a home made girl that was not nice at all when we ask her about my not made bed. Never go there

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hispaniard
London
Reviewed August 28, 2011

One of the worst hostels I've stayed in on nine months travels. The rooms are not in the main building but spread about the street and all basement rooms. All very cramped with kitchens (tiny and impossible to keep clean) and bathrooms (so dirty and flooded after a couple of uses) that are made worse by the basement conditions. The rooms are tiny. Bunkbeds crammed into the tiniest spaces. Areas are very small and paper thin walls so it is impossible to sleep until the kitchen is vacated (and people tend to congregate there).
When I arraved it took 1.5hrs to check in. They had checked in someone with the same name under my booking and took ages to realise the problem (the bed was taken). They kept sighing at me like it was my fault then demanded I move all my stuff several streets along to a new room. When I got to the new room my swipe card did not work. It seemed to be set to 'one entry only' so as I moved my bags one by one each time I had to go via reception to reactivate my card. The guy kept sighing in frustration, again like it was my fault. I was never once received an apology for the hassle of the 1.5hr check in or problem with the key card. If someone personable had been dealing with the problem and apologised for the error it would have been so much more pleasent. The key card never worked again, nor did my fellow room mates so we had to continuously knock on the door to get in or leave it propped open when we were there. Reception just said they didnt know what the problem was. They really did not want to help.
All in all I found it such a stressful experience staying here I checked out two days early.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo