“Good room, bad service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
“Good room, bad service”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Decent hotel, the room was decent and clean. However the service was ungodly terrible. I struggled between rating 1 and 2 stars- but put it this way- the room was about 3 stars and the service was 1 star. I have had WAYYY better service at cheap, danky hotels in Montreal, but I figured since my husband and I were bringing a friend along- we would get a better rated hotel, with more amenities.

The issue:

I booked through American Express travel for 3 people, for 3 nights. Upon arrival, they only had the reservation for 2 people- and refused to give us another "coupon" for breakfast because of this. While my reservation with Amex had 3 people- the night clerk said "I don't have their number to cal." and refused to process the matter any further (with some attitude). So I just said, check us in, charge us the extra person fee, and I will talk to the morning clerk to sort this out.

Well, the next morning, we had to basically teach the morning clerk how to calculate how many "coupons" we needed for breakfast- since she also refused to call American express- and told me I needed to call them. I am on my vacation, and would be charged to call them from the room...you have a number in the email you later showed me- why cant you sort this out?

Sure enough I see a 50 dollar charge after I get back home- which I was expecting. Now I have to dispute the charge via my credit card and do all this work because this hotel's employees refused to do their job. I have worked as a front desk clerk and know what is expected of them, their powers they have, and what they can do to help their guests feel welcome. This hotel failed on all parts service- even in the breakfast room. Not even one smile from any of the staff.

Also, during our stay, from approx 8am to 2pm, on my husbands birthday no less, they were doing some kind of construction on a room near us. The noise was quite unbearable at times, and very annoying. We do not spend most of our time in the room- so we figured we would leave out of the room ASAP after gift exchanges and breakfast. However, I do have to mention that besides the construction- there is some noise from the road.

Another big reason for my choosing this hotel was the free wifi. We were at the end of the hallway and it basically only worked well in the lobby.

The best part:
The location cannot be beat-right down the street from Berri metro stop. It is down a sketchy alley, but being to Montreal before- I know it's not that bad, and is safe. It is also in the gay village, which has a lot of shopping and awesome restaurants.

Bottom line: I would not return to this hotel again, it is clean and in a good location- but thats all it has going for it. Honestly, I got the room for a decent price- but with all the amenities and problems that came from this stay, I feel like I overpaid.

Room Tip: Do not get one at the end of the hall- wifi will be bad and road noise may disturb you.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Martin R, Director of Sales at Hotel Les Suites Labelle, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Roger,

I'm terribly sorry to read that services provided by our staff wasn't up to your expectations.
All our team do there very best, day after day, to insure all our guests have the most pleasant stay.

I must say that your review does surprise me a little, as I feel it doesn't reflect what actually happened and the last discussion you had with our supervising staff.
Your reservation was made by American Express, through Orbitz.com.
Unfortunately, the agency made a mistake and booked a room for 2 adults, as was shown to you on the booking confirmation we received.

The phone number indicated on this confirmation is Orbitz.com hotel support line.
Unfortunately, they couldn't be any help since the mistake came from the agency, which confirmed through Orbitz a room in double occupancy. We do not have access to the agency phone number, since they booked through Orbitz and not directly with us.

You recognized the error was theirs on the last conversation you had before leaving and said you would contact the agency to get a refund for the 15$ charge per day, upon your return.

Concerning noise disturbance, while no construction work is being currently done in any room, we do have some maintenance work being done in our underground garage at the moment. I certainly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, however, the workers never start before 10h30 AM and are not working during weekends, so I presume this inconvenience only occurred on the last day of your stay, since you checked in on a Saturday, for 3 nights.

As for street noise, Labelle street is probably one of the quietest and lowest trafficked street in downtown Montreal. Of course, considering we had a storm leaving about 30 cm of snow during your stay, you might have heard some of the snow removal operations going on.
Unfortunately, there isn't much we could do to avoid this.

Finally, there is a Wi-Fi antenna located directly over the door of room 506, which you occupied, so I can only presume the issue with Wi-Fi was technical. I just went to test the connection and had a perfect signal.

Once again, I'm sorry your stay wasn't up to your expectations and left you with such a bad impression of our property. I can only reiterate that our staff do all they can to make sure all our guests get the best possible stay. I hope you were still able to enjoy the city.

Director of sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
Bound Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The location is great and not great. Great because it is one block from a major metro station. Great because it is near a very commuted street, with shops, restaurants, banks, coffee shops. But it did not seem like a very safe area at night. So, families be careful. The street the hotel is located on is easy to miss. If you hit the Amir restaurant you've missed it. It was the street before. When we arrived, the hotel was very clean. The lady at reception was nice and helpful. We reserved a queen bed, though and did not get it. We had a full instead. The three nights we were there our room was not refreshed once by the housekeeper. They do have a parking garage for $15 CAD per/day. Breakfast was included in our stay. It was good. Again, the hotel was clean but make sure you get what you reserved.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms in front of the elevator doors. On the floor we stayed on it was 403. Also, mak...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liliana B
Martin R, Director of Sales at Hotel Les Suites Labelle, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Liliana,

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your recent stay with us.
I'm glad you enjoyed our central location and the cleanliness of our hotel.

I certainly apologize about your room not being refreshed during your stay. I tried to retrace your reservation, but wasn't able to find a recent 3 nights stay in room 403. I would really appreciate if you could provide additional information, in order to follow-up with housekeeping. We do have daily housekeeping service provided and I'd like to investigate why this wasn't the case during your stay.

Finally, concerning the queen size bed, I just went personally in room 403 and I can confirm that the bed is a queen size, measuring 60 inches wide by 80 inches long, which is the standard queen size measurement. All our rooms, except for the 2 double beds studios, are furnished with queen size beds.

Once again, thank you for taking a moment to post your review and I hope you will consider us again on your next trip to Montreal.

Leeds
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I loved having a little kitchenette with everything I needed to self-cater. The room was clean and comfortable and staff were pleasant and helpful. The wifi is good and there are a couple of computers for customers to use (with a printer). Breakfast was included in the room rate and it was simple but good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Martin R, Director of Sales at Hotel Les Suites Labelle, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Aisha,

Thank you very much to take a moment to post your comment about hotel Les Suites Labelle!
It is so pleasant to start the day by reading such a positive review and I'm glad you enjoyed staying with us!

I hope you had a pleasant trip back and we are surely looking forward to welcoming you again on you next trip to Montreal.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I recently stayed at Les Suites Labelle for one night and was so impressed that I have booked a room there for an upcoming trip to Montreal. It is in a great location downtown - just off of St. Catherine and around the corner from Berri-UQAM Metro station. The room was clean and comfortable, and for appoximately $80 per night I was pleasantly surprised to see that it included an en-suite kitchen complete with stove, microwave, sink, dishes, and dish soap for cleaning up. The free breakfast buffet was also very good (eggs, sausages, toast, pastries, fruit, coffee, juice, etc.). There was no parking left at the hotel when we arrived, but the receptionist recommended parking at Place Dupuis around the corner, which turned out to be even cheaper than parking at the hotel and had very accomodating staff. Overall a great affordable place to stay in Montreal!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such a nice review!
I'm glad to read you already booked your next stay with us.
I promise we'll do our very best to make it as pleasant as your first stay!

I'm sorry our parking was full when you got to the hotel. This only happens a few times a year.
Fortunately, this doesn't seem to have been much of an issue and you were able to park around the corner.

Once again, thank you for sharing your impressions and I hope you'll consider us again on your nest trip to Montreal!

Best regards,

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The staff was very friendly, making me want to like this place. But I couldn't. The room was small ("suite"? For Lilliputians, maybe), tired, cheap. Industrial carpet barely padding a concrete floor, except for the cold tiled area. Bed sits on a platform that juts out, cracks ankles. I could barely push the chair back from the desk to get up, rather than slide out to the side. The sheet was torn and worn, and the pillows were lumpier than cheap oatmeal. It's on a truly scuzzy side street - do enter it from Rene Levesque, even if that means you have to walk around the block from the Metro (or 747 stop), since you'll feel like you're in a war zone if you come at it directly from the Metro. Breakfast is fair, with good pastries (let's hear it for the prune (?) roll, which was a standout), which but little else to eat. The staff was very friendly, making me want to like this place, but the facilities themselves are bottom-end.

Room Tip: Ask for one that isn't beat up and worn and maybe has newer sheets.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guildenstern,

I truly regret to read that our hotel wasn't able to meet your expectations.
As mentioned in other reviews, our guests usually think that we offer very good quality and service for our price range.
I'm glad to see you did appreciate the courtesy and professionalism of our staff and hope this could somehow contribute to make things a little better.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and they will be considered in our constant efforts to improve our services.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Friendly Staff at front desk which made the Quick Check -In and Quick response with full information ,House keeping has provided Clean Room & Clean Bath,Quality Breakfast provided with Manner Service,There is No disturbing on Saturday & Sunday Morning because of no meeting in the morning time...will be back !

Room Tip: Great Value !
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Roland,
Thank you so much for such a positive review!
I'm glad you enjoyed our service and accommodations overall and certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay!

Regards,
detroit
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Wanted to visit Montreal for a nice vacation away from the States. This hotel although budget friendly was not bad at all. Clean rooms, and bathrooms and plenty room for us to spread out. The staff was nice and mostly helpful with getting cabs and telling us how to get somewhere on foot. As far as the neighborhood, it was fine nothing to really cry about and we liked it because it was a little off the beaten path away from all the busy stuff and main streets. If I visit Montreal again (Which i will) I will stay in Old Montreal, not because I didn't like it here but just because its so pretty there and I want to spend more time shopping and eating in the neighborhood.

again if your new to montreal and on a budget you can totally stay here and have a great time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Martin R, Director of Sales at Hotel Les Suites Labelle, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to post your review !
I'm glad our staff could contribute to make your visit a pleasant one and to see you enjoyed our neighbourhood.

Thank you again for your warm recommendations !