“Location Good and Bad”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh
“Location Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hotel location was great for walking to the old town and access throughout the city via the metro but, as others say, it was a bit scary at night with so many down and outs hanging around the nearby streets. Still Canadian beggars are very polite! Look at Google maps street view if you want a look at the area. However, the room was good, staff were very helpful and breakfast was more than adequate. All round good value especially if you don't mind a little local flavour.

Room Tip: Try to arrive during daylight especially if walking from nearby Metro exit (100m).
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Martin R, Director of Sales at Hotel Les Suites Labelle, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comment regarding your recent stay.
I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel and appreciated service provided by our staff as well as our complimentary breakfast.

I regards to location, as mentioned in previous responses, large cities come with goods and bad. However, I must mention that the area is absolutely safe. Furthermore, guests who may prefer to avoid Labelle street at night can walk across the small (and illuminated) parking lot directly facing main entrance, to reach Berri street, which is a larger, more frequented avenue.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review !

Director of sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was looking for a decent location without breaking the bank for my recent trip to Montreal. Hotel Les Suites Labelle was a great fit!

Check-in was easy. I found the staff friendly and eager to help. Everything we needed to know was clearly explained upon our arrival. We were always greeted when we walked through the front door. Staff called us a cab for our return to the airport without hesitation.

Room was spacious and clean. We had a two bed suite with kitchenette. Though we did not use the kitchenette, it was a nice option to have available as there was a grocery store down the street. We were on the sixth floor of the hotel and, for the most part, did not have an issue connecting to the free WiFi that was made available. Breakfast was included each morning with our stay, however we opted to visit the local cafes instead. It smelled great though!

The physical location of the hotel, with regard to sites and shopping, is great. Berri-UQAM Metro stop is at the end of the block, on the corner of Berri and St. Catherine Street. Sights and shopping are either within walking distance or easily accessible by Metro. In my opinion, there is no need for a rental car as Montreal is a very walkable city.

The actual street that the hotel sits on is what I would consider an alley. Though there were certainly some sketchy folks hanging about, I did NOT feel unsafe at any point during my five day stay and I was never hassled. I found that simply walking through the well-lit parking lot directly in front of the hotel to get to Berri Street cut out the sketchy alley element.

Overall, I had a great stay. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my friends who are looking for a convenient location on a budget.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Than you for sharing your impressions about your recent stay at Hotel les Suites Labelle !
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and could take advantage of our central location.

I hope you enjoyed visiting our beautiful city and that we'll have the chance to welcome you back on your next trip.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I choose this hotel for my overnight stay upon arrival to Canada for my vacations. It was one night only but I wasn't disappointed due to a following facts:

Central location and walking distance of Old Montreal.
Secure underground parking
Hot Breakfast was very good.
The room was clean, air condition worked well, the bathroom was very reasonable.
The room was very clean and staff were very friendly and helpful.

I only had one trouble upon arrival to the property, a guy at the street told me that the hotel parking is full and I should park in some other place he directed me too. I went there but having some doubts about it, I called to the hotel and everything was cleared (the guy didn't belong to the hotel's staff).
Mattress of the bed was too soft to me. But that was just only one minor "bug" on this stay and in my opinion everyone has a different preferences so it can't be expected that mattress fits everyone entirely.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jiří František E
Dear Sheoirse,

Thank you very much for taking a moment to share your impressions about Hotel les Suites Labelle ! I'm glad we were able to meet your expectations and hope it contributed to a pleasant trip in Canada.

We also took note of the incident you reported about the parking. We will pay particular attention and for future reference, please know that you can always park in front of hotel's main entrance during your check-in. Any additional parking information will be provided by front desk.

M. Roy
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is centrally located and within walking distance of Old Montreal and the shopping streets. There is also a metro station at the top of the street which we used to get near to Mount Royal and the Olympic Park. The hotel had a secure underground car park but as is has no elevator you have to unload first and when leaving you have to bring the car up to reload. This was not a problem as the street was quiet and you could park outside the hotel for a short period of time.
The hotel provided a complimentary breakfast with a good choice which included hot scrambled eggs and hash browns. The room was clean, air conditioned and quiet. It had two double beds, a good size bathroom and a kitchenette which proved very handy. The room was very clean and staff were very friendly and helpful. We would recommend this hotel.
I had read some of the earlier reviews but found no homeless people in this area which felt safe.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian C
Suites_Labelle, Director of Sales at Hotel Les Suites Labelle, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for recommending hotel les Suites Labelle !
I'm glad you enjoyed our location as well as our accommodation and complimentary breakfast.
I'll make sure to forward your review to all our staff !

Thank you and looking forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Montreal !

PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel is located in an alley in an undesirable section of the city. A lot of beggars, druggies, and non traditional couples. Best to stay in Old Montreal or near the upscale shopping at Eden Center (ph). Breakfast was OK and the walk to areas that we wanted to see was do-able however felt uncomfortable walking around this area after dark. Hotel had no restaurant or bar which would have been nice. Suites it is not. Stay at a nicer place

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience.
I'm sorry to read you didn't enjoyed our central location, it is usually appreciated by our guests.
We are located right between Quartier Latin, Old Montreal and the Village, which are major touristic areas.
Of course, some may prefer to stay directly in the Old Town or near Eaton Centre, but this would cost about twice as much.
I understand homeless may be intimidating to some people, but they are unfortunately part of any major city and Montreal is no exception. I must mention however that the area is absolutely safe to walk through.

We indeed have no restaurant or bar on-site. This information though is clearly mentioned on all websites we are listed on (to my knowledge) Please do not hesitate to let us know if any information you had before your stay led you to think otherwise.
While we are an economic hotel, we use the name suites as all our rooms consist in studios or suites with kitchenette.

Finally, I must say that you considering "non-traditional" couples as being an irritant makes me uncomfortable. Montreal and its citizens are known to be open-minded, tolerant and accepting. Fortunately, most of us don't make any difference between so called "traditional" and "non-traditional" couples.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to submit your review and I hope you still enjoyed visiting our wonderful city.

Wethersfield, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

An unexpected delight in downtown Montreal. Quiet and centrally located near Montreal attractions, walking distance to the subway and other public transportation. Continental breakfast is included with the reservations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dennis M
Suites_Labelle, Director of Sales at Hotel Les Suites Labelle, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Dennis,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions about your recent stay at hotel Les Suites Labelle!
I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel and its location and I have made sure to forward your review to all our team.

We hope we'll have the chance to welcome you again on your next stay.

Warmest regards,

Turin, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

The suite was clean; kitchen fully equipped (but only for two).
The parking under the hotel is useful; the location of the hotel is also good.
The value is excellent.
If I come back to Montreal I'd book at Labelle again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GaetanoT12473
Dear Gaetano,

Thank you so much for your recent review of hotel Les Suites Labelle!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that you would consider staying with us again in the future!

Grazie Mille!