“Superb boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Kutuma

Hotel Kutuma
Ranked #57 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 27, 2007

The Kutuma is an African themed boutique hotel in the heart of Montreal. It is a true boutique hotel, as it only has 9 rooms on 3 floors. Dave and I stayed here for 6 days on our honeymoon. When we called to reserve a few months ahead of time, they told us they would upgrade us if there was anything available. When we got there, they had upgraded us from a junior suite to the deluxe penthouse suite. Every part of our room was gorgeous, from the elephant table in the kitchen to the huge jacuzzi tub. The bed was huge, and was the most comfortable bed I have slept on in my life. I have a lot of trouble getting a good, full night's sleep, and I had no problem during our stay. The decor throughout the hotel follows the African theme, with tan and brown colors, tasteful paintings of wildlife and people, and elegant animal print touches throughout. The only negative is that there is no elevator in the hotel, so it may be difficult for people with limited mobility

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MissWanderlustCA

Reviewed July 18, 2007

This hotel was in a central location. The room was clean but had a strong smell of cleaning products. And how we missed our bathroom ....we are not sure? Too excited to explore Montreal I think.... but when we went to take a shower there was none. All there was on offer was a bath with a nozzel on a short hose. We were only in the hotel for one night and I opted to check in early to the next hotel and use the shower there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roam-and-Home
Reviewed July 11, 2007

thanks to fellow trip advisors we booked in at the Kutuma and what a great place it was. Its location is prime as you can walk straight from the hotel a variety of great places. Centre of town is a pleasant walk or metro trip away. The staff were really helpful and could not have done enough or us during our stay. a great boutique location !!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2007

I booked this hotel because the pictures online looked fairly decent for the price and they had an ethiopian restaraunt on the first floor. (which we had never tried) Me and my new wife spent two nights of our honeymoon here and were extatic with our experience. The room was much more than I had expected. The linens were great the room had a kitchen and the bathroom was really really nice. Also every single light in the place had a dim switch on it. The first person we met when we checked in was Abbi. He insisted on helping us with our bags, parked our car for us and offered us something to drink. We modestly said water would be nice, but maybe two minutes later he showed up at our door with mango/papaya/coconut drinks. It was amazing! Abbi was so friendly and eager to help and it seemed like he was working every morning and night that were there. I would definately recomend this place and have to family and friends. Also give the restaraunt a shot, it's very unique and really quite good.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kjpro5
Reviewed April 28, 2007

We stayed there from Apr.21-23 and we loved it. The Kutuma is a boutique hotel and it's decorated beautifully. We stayed in a room with a queen bed, small kitchette, and a bathroom with a big bathtub. There was no shower but the tube had a hand held extension. The front desk usually has one person that runs back and forth from the resturant. Everyone was so nice and tried to help us out in anyway possible. The resturant there was an etiopian style resturant. My husband and I have never had etiopian before but we loved it...it was really good and reasonably priced. Great location. In the middle of shopping/stores on St. Denis. Close to St.Catherines and a bit of a walk to Old Montreal but not too bad...maybe 10-15 min. walk.
The manager at the hotel was really nice and always making sure we were ok....would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank LISA197
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Even in the dreary cold middle of winter, Montreal is a great city to visit, and I'm already planning a return trip for the summer -- with the Kutuma as my likely base of operations.

Especially in the off-season, when it is barely over 100USD/night for a standard room, this hotel was a great value. It's definitely a "boutique" hotel in the truest sense of the word -- it's a very small operation, often with only one person manning the (very tiny) front desk. It's probably not the ideal place for travelers who put a lot of demands on hotel staff (or have an aversion to stairs -- there's no elevator).

But if you're looking for a quiet, elegant, clean, and extremely convenient place to spend your nights in the city, you could scarecely do better. The halls and stairway are nicely appointed, and the room (i got the basic queen) was HUGE. In addition to the wonderfully appointed bed (especially loved the faux fur throw), the main area is set up like a studio apartment, complete with a dining area set for two (very nice settings, by the way), a huge wardrobe, and a full kitchenette with sink, stovetop, toaster, and mini-fridge. The room I had was lacking in all but a couple tiny windows facing the back -- perhaps I would have minded in spring, but I didn't even notice it during my stay.

The bathroom sometimes felt a little bit too trendy for its own good functioning, but had one huge plus for it -- a giant, deep, two-person soaking tub. The faucet and showerhead could have used some higher pressure (and really, the showerhead and lack of curtain/shower area made it inadequate for showering), but oh... once i got the tub filled, the candles lit, it was like a little spa. I originally planned on going out dancing on my second night there, but instead wound up going to the best sleep I had in weeks after ordering some excellent ethiopian food from the restaurant downstairs, chocolate cake, followed by a long soak in the tub while finishing a bottle of wine!

I never had any problems with noise, and the staff was eager to help when needed (though I didn't have much in the way of requests other than the meal, and figuring out how to use the climate control).

The hotel is located about halfway up the Rue St Denis, which is a major strip of restaurants, stores, and boutiques, and makes for a nice stroll to any of the adjoining neighborhoods. Metro access is fairly close, though travelers with a poor sense of direction might get turned around the first time or two.

Over all, an excellent stay, no major problems, and for the price, I can't imagine anything better!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank nycdave
Reviewed March 30, 2007

After staying two nights at Hotel Kutuma, I rate it as the #2 hotel in the entire world (in my experience). The staff was friendly and extremely accommodating. The rooms are beautifully decorated in African decor, with a dining area and kitchenette. The bathrooms are also nice. The room we stayed in was a regular room, and it had a large jacuzzi-style tub (no jets) in the corner. All lights had dimmer switches, which added to the atmosphere. The BEST part was the restaurant, Le Nil Bleu, which is connected to the hotel. They serve some of the best Ethiopian food I've ever had. It was so good, we ate there both nights, and both nights we were given a complimentary dessert. You can also get this food brought to your room with room service. I highly recommend it. It's a short walk from the metro (Sherbrooke station).

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple