“Loved it!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Amazing, spacious room. I loved the décor and the room was well equipped with a great sitting area and dining table.
The highlight of our stay was having dinner at the Ethiopian restaurant downstairs. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was amazing. We received a complimentary dessert because we were staying at their hotel. I highly recommend trying this restaurant if you’re visiting Montreal.
We ordered breakfast to our room which only cost 10.00 pp! It was excellent. Eggs, sausage, fruit, toast, coffee, juice, etc.
I would highly recommend staying here and trying out the amazing restaurant. Can’t wait to visit Montreal again!

Room Tip: Try the restaurant below!! It's amazing...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TorontoTakeaTrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

No elevator - tsk tsk tsk.. BUT I gota admit.. this is one of the best hotels my bf & I ever stayed in. Seriously, no lies. It was somewhat hard to find and the bad thing about it is that there's no parking :( valet parking only. When we first stepped into our room our eyes grew big O_O yes, big because it was a nice. VERY nice. The bed was very cozy, clean.. the environment was unique and it is definitely VERY romantic. (Recommended for couples for sure!) There was a nice small table on the side with two comfortable seats (great for having a romantic candle light dinner) and the shower room/washroom was amaaaazing. Adjustable lights (for dimming) with candles set aside (for extra romance, awww!). I think we stayed for about 2-3 nights and the first night we decided "hey why not try some Ethiopian food" since we're staying in an African themed hotel.

So we went to try out the restaurant downstairs and all I can say about it (the food, the environment..everything) was "unique." I have never been denied a fork or spoon at a restaurant before- first time! But hey it wasn't so bad (I guess lol) We ordered a platter (for two) it was okay but to be honest it's one of those one time pretty cool first experience type thing for me, don't think I would return for the food :P

The service there was EXCEPTIONAL and so was the Ethiopian coffee! (MUST TRY) Yummm. After dinner we had our dessert and coffee delivered upstairs to our room (I can't believe how great the service was) and we had it candlelight style. The coffee was sooo amazing that the next morning we decided to go downstairs just to have some dine in coffee before we left and even got some more coffee to take out for the road , mmm :)

I'm glad this was the hotel we decided on to spend our pre-Christmas holiday. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Though I did like the higher floor room, if you bring loads of luggage.. it's best to choose the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheInseperable
Yakima, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We recently returned from Montreal and a 4 night stay at the Kutuma. We were traveling with friends and we all agreed it was a good place to stay. The negative review about the noise level surprises me because that was NOT an issue with us and we all commented often how quiet it was. We are all in our early 70's but healthy so climbing stairs was not a problem and the staff carried our luggage if needed. The fact that there is no elevator is well published so I can't imagine any traveler arriving there to be disappointed about no elevator service.
We loved the restaurant, the staff at the hotel and restaurant, and the location near the Metro and near so many good restaurants. We would all return regularly if Montreal weren't so far from our home on the west coast!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank escapingsmoke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I agree with all the positive reviews here - the room I had was clean, charming, and romantic. The African theme was minimalist - this isn't a Vegas version of a theme. Nice features of the room - dimmers on all the lights, even in the bathroom. Tea candles for added romance. The full kitchen and nice place settings. A window that actually opened onto an inner airshaft of a very charming Montreal variety or like the French Quarter in New Orleans. The staff was very friendly, though there is no 24 hour front desk at this place. I never happened to need anyone at 2AM, but I don't know what would have happened if I did. The one complaint I have is that we were on the 2nd floor, directly above a noisy restaurant. Luckily, we were in the city to explore and enjoy the nightlife, so we were usually back after they had closed and then it was quiet. But one night we stayed in and the sound of revelry and dishes and general clatter totally traveled up into our room. So if you are going to stay in the room during the restaurant's hours, request a room on the third floor.

This hotel is exactly within the boundary of the set fare for taxis to the airport. Don't let the taxis put on the meter. The location is great for walking up Saint Denis and shopping in the Plateau and Mile End. We were big walkers and we love Saint Laurent, so this was ideal us. It's also only a couple of blocks from the Metro station.

Room Tip: Third floor to avoid the noise from the restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mantaraggio
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Other than a 2-night stay at Hotel Kutuma I have never been to Africa! I must say I loved it, even though I did not think I would really go for a ‘theme-like’ boutique hotel. As you might imagine, the in-room décor comprised Africa inspired prints, bedding and furniture, but additionally impressive was the overall attention to detail in respect of the other room fittings, especially the lighting and the magnificent bathroom. We took a small suite which gave us an additional small sitting/dining room area. The room also boasted a long balcony, which also could be used for chilling out on hot evenings or by those of you who have yet to kick the habit. In a word, the room was just really comfortable.

The location of the hotel is also excellent for wining and dining, as there are no end of bars and cafes in the vicinity of the hotel (running along St.Denis Street both ways). However, you do not have to even leave the hotel for really superb food, as the accommodation is linked to a rather swanky first-class Ethiopian restaurant called Le Nil Bleu. So why not give this theme-like hotel a go? Like me, you may be very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matti-Pringle
manchester, nh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I decided to book a last minute trip to Montreal, and this hotel had one room left, a jr suite. I chose this hotel based on the reviews, location and the fact that it has parking (valet only, but that is better than nothing).
We arrived at the hotel after a harrowing drive through downtown Montreal, absolutely relieved to drop the car off and have someone else take care of it! After a very quick check in, we arrived at room 203, which is on the first floor above the restaurant and at the end of the hall. I loved the location as it meant only one flight of stairs, and having the room all the way in the back, we weren't disturbed by people walking back and forth.
The room was a good size, with a living/dining area, a queen bed and a large bathroom. The decorations/animal print was not overboard like I was expecting from some of the other reviews.The kitchen area had a stovetop (electric) a small fridge, a sink, toaster and microwave, as well as a coffee and an espresso maker. We didnt use the stove, or the toaster, and the microwave worked fine. My husband had no issues with the coffee maker, though he didn't try out the espresso machine.
We had no issues working the lights or the ac. The shower controls were a little odd, but we figured them out after a little fiddling. The deep bathtub was wonderful! TV was a wall mounted flat screen, there were plenty of english channels. There is complementary wi-fi, the service was a little spotty at times, and not particularly fast- but it worked well enough.
I have no complaints about noise. We were never once disturbed by noise from the restaurant, or the room above us (and the hotel was fully booked). The only time I even smelled food from the restaurant was when we left the bathroom window open overnight. I never once felt unsafe.
I found the staff very pleasant and helpful. There is no lobby at the hotel, but it wasn't an issue for us at all. You get a card-swipe type of key to get in the front door when the restaurant is closed.
The food at Le Nil Bleu is very tasty, even if the bread is oddly spongy. If you are a hotel guest, they give you a free piece of cake for dessert.
The metro station is only a 15 min walk from the hotel, and there is a lovely park and pedestrian walkway just around the corner. Tons and tons and tons of restaurants and bars all within walking distance of the hotel.
All in all, if we do come back to the city (likely) we will definitely stay at Hotel Kutuma again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank phedrebun
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Montreal was the first stop of our month-long honeymoon and Hotel Kutuma was the highlight. We wished we stayed longer then just the 1 night. We were upgraded upon arrival and found ourselves in a room larger then our apartment with an extremely comfortable bed, a large and wonderful bathroom with a two person jacuzzi and a full kitchen. The staff were extremely friendly and hospitable.
There is no elevator which is not an issue for us and there is a porter who carries your luggage up the stairs for you. The location is central, but not so central that you are right in the centre of things. We did some walking, but also drove. There is an Ethopian restaurant on the main floor of the hotel that we did not have time to eat in but read wonderful reviews about.

Overall if you are looking for a romantic place to stay for your honeymoon I would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Kutuma.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple