“Top Notch Service”
Review of Hotel Kutuma

Hotel Kutuma
Ranked #56 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Just returned from a great weekend stay at Hotel Kutuma. The hotel is in a great location - close to restaurants, shopping and night life. Our room was very comfortable and nicely furnished as was the entire hotel. Even though it is a small establishment (9 guest rooms) we felt completely safe and secure. The highlight of the hotel is definitely the staff - we found them to be always pleasant and willing to offer assistance. They really went the extra mile. The hotel lobby is currently under construction but it in no way impacted our experience. My only regret is that I didn't get to try the hotel restaurant but I will definitely make that a priority next time I visit.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2007

Was sick of staying in boring big chains for my Montreal business trips and Kutuma got great reviews on Trip Advisor. It lived up to my expectations. I can't believe how nice everything was for the price.
- Great location on St. Denis.
- The African theme is fun and well-executed.
- The hotel upgraded my room upon arrival so I ended up with a gorgeous junior suite with balcony for my $115/night. Incredible deal.
- The bed rivals the Westin's dream bed, soft music is playing when you arrive in your room.
- there was a complimentary disposable toothbrush for each night of my stay in addition to the regular creams and shampoos, etc. I've forgotten my toothbrush tons of times when traveling so I thought that was cool.
- Complimentary big bottle of Kutuma-brand bottled water.
- There was a funky kitchenette not only in my jr. suite but also in my colleague's standard queen room.
- The staff was really helpful and friendly.
- The dinner downstairs at the Nil Bleu was really good. -Complimentary desert was a nice touch.
- There's no elevator but there are only 4 floors so no big deal for me.
I'm giving this hotel a 5 despite the 2 issues below because frankly I really enjoyed myself and the value was amazing.
- I couldn't get an internet connection (the wireless is free, which is great, but I couldn't get a connection and asked for a cable to plug into the connection directly, they gave me one and hooked up my computer for me but that didn't work either - i gave up and didn't bother asking again)
- There is no shower (i don't see why they don't just add a hook up on to the wall since there is a hand held shower) and because everyone is taking giant baths in the soaker tubs instead, there was no water at all on our first morning and no hot water on the second. Also, my plug didn't work (I didn't complain though so don't know if it would have been fixed or if I would have been offered a new room) From a convenience and an environmental standpoint (think of all the extra water massive tubs take to fill vs. a quick shower) this sucked.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank luckyjodi
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Kutuma in December and have to say that I was blown away.

Location: It is wonderfully located on St Denis, which as others have said, include great restaurants and some shops/bars. It is a 5 minute walk (even shorter when it's not snowing) to Sherbrooke Metro station. It has a convenience store about 2 stores down, which sells your basics, including alcohol and phone cards if you need to call long distance. Local calls at the Hotel Kutuma are free.

Service: From check in to check out, the service was just overwhelming. This small hotel puts the larger chains to shame. I arrived by taxi on the opposite side of the road. It was snowing heavily, but the hotel staff ran across the road (past the mounds of snow) to get my suitcase. They offered me a coffee straight away, and the check in process was over in 5 minutes. They had upgraded me as well, which was a nice surprise (Room 203 I got in the end).

Room: Well what can I say, it was superb. The room had light dimmers, which was on when I went into the room. They had also put on some jazz music before I arrived, which was a great touch. The African theme worked very well, and everything was tastefully decorated. ALL ROOMS have been recently renovated to include high tech showers (though water pressure was a bit of a problem), so you don't have to worry about it not having a shower - believe me, you want to see this shower! Flat screen tv, awesome bed, comfy couch, well equipped kitchenette, and cable tv are just a few of the benefits.

Amenities: All the usual bathroom products, plus free wi-fi. What more could you ask for?

Restaurant: It was quite simply the BEST food I have had for a long time. I have never had Ethiopian food before but seriously, you need to try it.

Conclusion: The only bad thing I'll say about it is that it doesn't have a lift (which isn't a problem because they carry your suitcase up for you), and the water pressure was a bit low. But for the price (amazing value), location and general ambiance, you CANNOT GO WRONG.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank timpw
Reviewed November 30, 2007

The Kutuma hotel was everything it was said to be. A lovely place and the service was fantastic. All the people at the hotel went the extra mile to make our stay special. We were in Montreal to attend the President's Cup. The Hotel is located in a super spot with tons of restaurants. The Blue Nile restaurant in the hotel is really good and was one of the best meals of our trip.

Some reviews complained about the lack of shower but our room had a bath and shower.

I would certainly stay in this hotel again if I were to go back to Montreal. It was spotless and actually looks like the photos on the website. The friendly atmosphere and willingess to help of all the staff was appreciated!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunicicle
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a large suite, which was the nicest room I have ever stayed in. Comfortable bed, relaxing tub and tons of space. We had to
remind ourselves to leave the room and experience the city. The Metro
station was only 1 1/2 blocks away and St-Denis had lots of great restaurants and stores, plus we were a stones throw away from St-Louis Square and the pedestrian walkway that leads to St-Laurent. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tamuardo
Reviewed October 25, 2007

My boyfriend and I loved this place we stayed for 4 days in the second week of September. The room was great, the hotel owners/staff were amazing, and it's a great location. The room was large and clean and the bathroom was roomy and spotless.

The food in the restaurant was outstanding and we received a delicious complimentary dessert after our dinner.

I would highly reccommend this place to anyone going to montreal looking to truly experience the city off the tourist track.

The only "snag" we had were some loud rude guests in the next room for 2 nights-totally not the hotel's fault and it didn't ruin our stay at all.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michelle m
Reviewed October 12, 2007

This hotel is at the top of our list. We don't like chain hotels or frilly bed and breakfasts and there are few good choices that don't fall into those categories...Kutuma stands on its own.

We had similar experiences as the other reviewers. The hotel is family-owned and they were so nice to us. We had bikes with us and Abbi insisted on taking our bikes into the basement every night, after their restaurant closed. When we ate at the restaurant, he gave us free desserts. Overall, we just felt so comfortable there.

The room was perfect and so relaxing. Great kitchen, and side door that opens for fresh air...We always felt great coming back to it after a full day out. Just ignore the reviewer who gave the hotel only 3 points, everyone loves this place!

We stayed in Old Montreal for the 2nd part of our visit, but I prefer Kutuma's location. Old Montreal is too touristy.

Staying here will make you feel like you are not your average tourist.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family