“Fantastique!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Fantastique!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This b and b is in a great location, in a beautiful historic home, and has delicious breakfasts that include organic cereals, fruit, montreal-style bagels, croissants, yogourts etc... I will most definitely be coming back here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have only positive things to say about this place. The rooms were adorable, convenient and had everything I needed like a small kitchen, wifi and a hair dryer. Right when I booked the hotel they called me to inform that they didn't have one room for me and I would have to change rooms in the middle of my stay. This barely was a hassle as they took care of moving all the luggage and I could enjoy exploring Montreal in the meantime. It did give me a chance to see that each room is uniquely decorated in a homely manner. Some may call it outdated, but I think it was adorable. There was no safe, which was not a problem for me, but some readers may want to know about this. The breakfast was tasty and elegantly served. I guess the most annoying part was looking for a parking spot. Sometimes it would require squeezing into a tight spot, not to mention that the street has strange parking laws (make sure you read the signs, with my very basic French I could figure out what was written but if that's a problem just ask inside the hotel upon check in). Nonetheless, there is parking on the street and it's free.
Bottom line: Good location, friendly service and not too pricey.

Room Tip: I found the wifi on the second floor was better, probably because it's closer to the office.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SillyMidget
Swansboro
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We found this to be a charming B&B, with interesting architectural features, and pleasant decor. We had a room in the Castle with shared bath. Everything was clean and neat. The office/breakfast room was relaxed, homey, and the staff played great music. Nice breakfast, with good variety and great coffee! The staff was friendly and helpful, and very gracious with breakfast service. We liked the B&B a lot, but this is not the best place to stay if you have a car. Parking in this area of Montreal is practically non-existant. When we arrived, we were not told about a parking garage, which I now see others have mentioned. We got a place on the street, but one day when we moved our car, it took us an hour to find a space when we returned. Lots of nice places to walk to and not far from Vieux Montreal and other sights. Ask for the garage, and don't hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: We loved our third floor room overlooking the trees on the street, but some folks might not apprecia...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Excellent location for walking in Montreal. Friendly, helpful, and competent staff. On street parking is really difficult, but $10 extra per night you get secure locked garage parking...well worth it. You won't beat this one for the breakfast and what a B&B should be. Not fancy...just very nice.

Room Tip: Web site is accurate as to what the rooms really are.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey, UK
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We had four rooms in the castle for a couple of nights in June. Overall, it was an average stay for me.

Pros:
Staff were friendly and polite (though insistent you pay on arrival and not happy for us to leave bags)

Parking in private garage - but had to pay for space and only got it if you arrived early)

Fairmount Bagels for breakfast one morning - saved me a walk to the shop

Location good - 10 mins to the subway and a nice area near McGill Uni

Cons:
4 rooms sharing one bathroom is crazy (not the most modern bathroom either) - not sure how we managed it with 7 of us. At least we knew each other, but it would have been awful if you didn't know the people in the other rooms.

Breakfast was good quality, but basic. Yoghurt and simple cereals on the side, and then you'd get offered 'a croissant' or 'a bagel'. Never a mention of seconds. And the other places we stayed (in Ottawa and Quebec) did full cooked breakfasts. Have to say the coffee was great.

Price - ended up being the most expensive place we stayed (don't forget that we were sharing a bathroom with 3 other rooms) and in other B&Bs in the major cities (including Toronto) we had bathrooms and cooked breakfasts.

So, overall whilst the stay was fine, in comparison to the value for money we received elsewhere, it didn't compete. I would say it was ok, but I wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katiek14
, Owner at University Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
I would like to correct following small pieces of misinformation:

Parking: There is ample free parking on the street and you can leave your car for several days. Since we have a small garage which can fit only 3 cars, one can reserve a parking space even form our website (for a fee) while reserving a room and can arrive any time.

Bathroom Issue: Please note all our suites have private bathrooms. But these guests stayed in rooms which share a bathroom which share not one but 2 bathrooms. I think the problem in case was the group size. Since they were 7 people arriving at the B&B all at the same time I can see that waiting for the bathroom could be a problem.

Breakfast: We serve several kinds of fruits (Orange, apple, bananas), bagel, croissant, cream cheese, 3 kinds of jam, several kinds of cereals, several kinds of artisanal bread, orange juice, coffee, tea, 2 kinds of milk and cream and several kinds of yogourt and boiled eggs and seconds are always offered and available for self serve on the counter.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 24, 2012

PROS:
- Spot on recommendations on where to eat from the staff (yummy food and affordable)
- And help getting everywhere
- Breakfasts where you get to meet other travelers
- Breakfasts that include famous Fairmount bagels, croissants, fruits, yogurt, granola, hard-boiled eggs, milk and cereal, juice, tea, coffee
- Accomodated 3 of us to a room by providing an extra little mattress
- Location was great (closest to McGill U) but we also had a car
- Able to find parkin close by easily - just need to pay attention to when the meters are on and where it is residential only parking

OK:
- Stayed in the traveler room. There were 3 of us and it was on the smaller side with all our stuff but would've been fine if there were only 2 ppl
- Shared bathroom was not the cleanest at times (open and spilled shampoo bottles in the shower) but things were always stocked
- Internet if you have your own computer
- Garage parking - had that for one night and the spot is small and took a little maneuvering to get into in the corner but wasn't too bad

CONS:
- No office computer for guest use

Overall this place was a great value. Thought it was super cute and the staff was wonderful. Maybe next time we would get a private bathroom. But would definitely return!

• Stayed July 2011
New York
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was our first stay at University B&B, and we couldn't have been happier. I cannot express how much I LOVE the location. It is a quiet street, but is within easy walking distance of the Plateau and Quartier Latin (we love both of these areas), as well as downtown and Chinatown/Old Montréal. We were travelling with a friend, and both of our rooms had the shared bath option. We never had to wait to use the bathroom, and it was kept quite clean. Our room was so charming and had everything we needed. The mattress was very comfortable, and we had a lovely view of the tree-lined street. The breakfasts were really great (I couldn't have been happier about the Fairmount bagels!), and the French press coffee was a nice and delicious touch. My only complaint, and it is a minor one, is that the lady in charge of the kitchen wouldn't let me store one tiny ice pack in her freezer for a single evening. I thought that was strange, as I wasn't exactly asking to store five loaves of bread or anything. Anyway, that was a minor blip during an otherwise outstanding stay. We will most definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends