“B&B just like home”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, Canada
“B&B just like home”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Recently I came to Montreal and stayed at University Bed & Breakfast. Not only was it my first stay with them but my first experience with B&B. It was marvelous having a more than ample breakfast waiting for me every morning and the pleasure of meeting other lone travelers over that meal made me a convert to B&B. By staying in the Brick Suite, four steps up into building, as a physically challenged individual I was able to enjoy the flavour & character of the building yet be completely independent. I felt quite at home with a small kitchen, private bath and windows which over look the front garden which must smell spectacular when the lily of the valley are in bloom! University B&B is wonderfully situated for walking though I'd suggest walking "down" University rather then up! The staff was friendly and very helpful both in person and over the phone & online. The house keeping staff came and went unnoticed except that things were always clean and tidy. My next trip to Montreal may very well include University B&B and I'd certainly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in this part of the city.

Room Tip: Though Prince Arthur may seem busy, I stayed in a street front, main level suite and slept better h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank E M J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed at this bed and breakfast in Montreal. I was really impressed
with how clean it was. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were also situated in an ideal location for walking to the university, shopping, the park and the fine arts museum. I certainly will stay here again on my next trip to Montreal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Encinitas, California
Reviewed April 20, 2012

University B&B is everything you want , need and enjoy when you visit a new to me city. It is very welcoming. They have all the arrangements necessary for a late arrival. We stayed in the Beige room a perfect fit with a small kitchen, comfortable chair and a small balcony to enjoy the roof tops and hear the city. It was very clean, fresh and up to date, but kept the townhouse old feeling. It was close to walk Old Town, the Latin Quarter, the energy of the university and close to the metro to explore far and wide. This will definitely be our place to stay for return trips.

Room Tip: Beige room has a private bathroom, small kitchen and balcony. Good value!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Encinitas, California
Reviewed April 18, 2012

As a retired professor, my wife and I feel right at home staying close to a university wherever we travel, and the University B&B is no exception. It is down the block from McGill University and there are lots of good coffee shops and small restaurants within walking distance. We took the Beige suite with a small kitchen and in suite bath with an excellent shower. There is also a French door exit on the back of the room onto an outdoor patio. The breakfast was excellent (fresh breads and toast, boiled eggs, cereal and yogurt, and superb coffee. They also have indoor parking for 3 automobiles for $10/night. The office staff was cheery and very helpful when planning walks about this charming city. The price was very competitive as well. We will certainly stay here when we return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rsouviney
New York Mills, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I was traveling to McGill for research and the University Bed & Breakfast was perfect in every way - my room (the scholar) was small but very cozy and great for one person, the breakfasts were tasty, and the bathroom (shared by four rooms) was nearly always open when I wanted to shower, etc. However, the location and price are likely the best parts of the B&B. It took me about 5-10 minutes to walk to McGill's library and then 5 minutes in the other direction was a mall with movie theatre, restaurants, and even a grocery store.

Room Tip: Scholar was small but perfect for a solo traveler.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Grad08
St. James, NY
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My daughter and I arrived from NY on a gorgeous March afternoon for a three day visit to look at McGill. We first stayed in the Queen room, which was beautiful with a great view. The shared bath was very spacious and we never felt like we didn't have access. The breakfast room was tasteful, bright and comfortable, the food simple but delicious and the morning staff professional, yet friendly. Directions, restaurant reviews, hints about Montreal and more were offered cheerfully. The next two nights were spent in the Red Suite, which was on the third floor. Much more roomy with a tiny private bath, tiny kitchen and roomy eating/living area. The space and the privacy were appreciated but the three flights up were a little tough with heavy bags. We looked at it as an opportunity to burn off the tasty croissants but if stairs are challenging for you, ask for first floor accommodations. Our parking spot in the garage was convenient, we never used the car during our stay, but if you have a large vehicle, be ready for a tight fit. All in all, University B & B was a great buy, clean, comfortable and homey. If my daughter attends McGill I will definitely be staying there again!

Room Tip: Ask how many flights up your suite/room is, if it has a front street view (recommended) and ask for...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Michele H
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We spent a week at the University Bed and Breakfast. The staff were cheerful, knowledgeable and welcoming. Our apartment was clean, bright and uncluttered.The area map with restaurants recommendations that we were given when we checked in was helpful in orienting us.We will return to University Bed and Breakfast.We had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2012