“Great place”

University Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #37 of 146 Montreal B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I was traveling to McGill for research and the University Bed & Breakfast was perfect in every way - my room (the scholar) was small but very cozy and great for one person, the breakfasts were tasty, and the bathroom (shared by four rooms) was nearly always open when I wanted to shower, etc. However, the location and price are likely the best parts of the B&B. It took me about 5-10 minutes to walk to McGill's library and then 5 minutes in the other direction was a mall with movie theatre, restaurants, and even a grocery store.

Room Tip: Scholar was small but perfect for a solo traveler.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Grad08

Reviewed March 22, 2012

My daughter and I arrived from NY on a gorgeous March afternoon for a three day visit to look at McGill. We first stayed in the Queen room, which was beautiful with a great view. The shared bath was very spacious and we never felt like we didn't have access. The breakfast room was tasteful, bright and comfortable, the food simple but delicious and the morning staff professional, yet friendly. Directions, restaurant reviews, hints about Montreal and more were offered cheerfully. The next two nights were spent in the Red Suite, which was on the third floor. Much more roomy with a tiny private bath, tiny kitchen and roomy eating/living area. The space and the privacy were appreciated but the three flights up were a little tough with heavy bags. We looked at it as an opportunity to burn off the tasty croissants but if stairs are challenging for you, ask for first floor accommodations. Our parking spot in the garage was convenient, we never used the car during our stay, but if you have a large vehicle, be ready for a tight fit. All in all, University B & B was a great buy, clean, comfortable and homey. If my daughter attends McGill I will definitely be staying there again!

Room Tip: Ask how many flights up your suite/room is, if it has a front street view (recommended) and ask for...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Michele H
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We spent a week at the University Bed and Breakfast. The staff were cheerful, knowledgeable and welcoming. Our apartment was clean, bright and uncluttered.The area map with restaurants recommendations that we were given when we checked in was helpful in orienting us.We will return to University Bed and Breakfast.We had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed here in early December and absolutely loved being able to walk to everything. The price was reasonable, the staff very friendly and the breakfast and internet were both included. Room was very comfortable but don't come with lots of luggage as we needed to carry our bags up 2 flights of stairs, which was not a problem for us but could be for some. As already noted, they provide a good breakfast. Will definitely use again.

Room Tip: You can save money if willing to share a bathroom. If you have limited mobility might want to ask a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julsay
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I would definitely go back and stay at the U B&B on my next visit to montreal. It was in close walking distance of the downtown shopping area and Latin quarter. The staff were friendly and welcoming; the place was quiet and relaxing. We stayed in the Queen Room, which was just the right size for two people. It was clean and cozy, with a pretty window seat and hardwood floors.The bathroom was spacious and kept very clean. Shower and hot water was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've stayed at the U B&B several times and have been really happy with the experience. The best thing about the B&B is the breakfast and the location.There are dozens and dozens of shops and restaurants within walking distance - Simon's is a few blocks south and west, and the great shopping and dining on St. Denis, Prince Albert and St. Laurent is also close. Breakfast is fresh bagels or croissant, with lots of other options and accompaniments. You can meet interesting people in the breakfast room if you want to be sociable. And, if you have to leave early before breakfast is served, the friendly hosts will put a basket together for you.

The rooms i have stayed in are charming though the one on the main floor is ready for a reno. The kitchens are mostly very small, but dining out in Montreal is de rigueur, so we just used it to heat a few doggie bag items. Parking is a challenge in the area, (though you don't really need a car) it's best to read the signs very carefully.

Room Tip: The White room was the nicest I have stayed in, if you want a larger room and 2 separate sleeping ro...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I travelled from the West Coast to visit my daughter going to school at McGill. This is the second Bed and Breakfast I've tried in the city of Montréal and this time I'll say it's a dream come true. My very comfortable room, the Queen room, is sober and cheerful, with hard wood floors, and a beautiful view from windows that open! The central heating and AC are adjustable directly in the room which is a +.
Breakfasts are sumptuous with delicious bagels and croissants, accompanied by quiet jazz from the 20's /30's on the radio. The staff is very friendly. The kitchen can be shared and I was invited to use the fridge to keep my supplies, which is really good cause I can't imagine going to the restaurant for every meal... I had to work at night and took my computer down in the dining room, to work and have a nice cup of tea while my meal was warming up. It felt like home in the center of Montréal, across the university, close to stores and subways, yet in a quiet traditional street. This is a gem!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo