“Fantastic Stay”
Review of Victorian Heritage

Victorian Heritage
Ranked #4 of 145 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at Victorian Heritage B and B for two days and had a fantastic stay! This B and B was well located for exploring on foot. We walked to Old Montreal, Fairmont and up and down Saint Denis and Saint Laurent several times. Lot's to see do and eat, all within walking distance. We stayed in the Carolyn Suite and it was Beautifully furnished, comfortable and clean. I just loved the antiques and the history throughout the home. Denis was a kind and helpful host answering all of our questions and providing an excellent recommendation for dinner out. He has done an exceptional job decorating this Beautiful B and B and has thought of every detail to insure his guests have an exceptional stay. We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast fresh squeezed orange juice, homemade fruit salad, veggie omelette, homemade jam, assorted daily fresh baked goods, Greek yogurt, coffee, teas, assorted cereals and granola! We were Deliciously full each day! This place is a Gem and we cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 4, 2014

My friend and stayed three nights at the Victorian Heritage B&B and enjoyed every minute. We had the two bedroom suite, and it was HUGE! Two large bedrooms, a large bathroom with great shower, a full size washer-dryer in the bathroom (so great to be able to wash clothes during a trip!), and a full kitchen with full size fridge, stove, dishes, pots, silverware - the works! The rooms were very well decorated in 19th Century style, as was the rest of the B&B. Breakfast is served in the large dining room, and the variety is excellent: omelets, various breads, fruit, Greek yogurt with homemade jam, and fresh squeezed orange juice. Really fueled us for a day on the go in Montreal. The location is terrific, very close to several shopping streets and only a 5 minute walk to the subway. One note of caution: the stairs leading up to the apartments from the street are very steep, and there is no elevator inside, so you need to be able to negotiate those stairs with your luggage. But that aside, there is nothing to quibble about. This one is a real find.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband, adult son, and I stayed at the Heritage Victorien for three nights this month. It should have been four, or five, or six, or more. We all loved it. From the time we were welcomed inside, I knew I had made a wonderful choice. We had a beautiful apartment -- not a room -- with two very large separate bedrooms, which accommodated three adults perfectly. The apartment included a modern and fully equipped (even a dishwasher) kitchen, an up-to-date bathroom, and a full-sized stackable washer and dryer. Each of the bedrooms had its own TV with cable, and we had air conditioning which we could control as needed. And those are just the practical features of the apartment! It was exqusitely decorated with interesting pieces, both old and new. for example, amidst all the Victorian pieces, an enormous wooden mask was hung over the fireplace. One of the rooms contained a beautiful antique metal soaking tub. We didn't use it, but it did have running water. What fun! Nothing was shabby -- not the rugs, the bedding, nothing. Everything was absolutely lovely. The location was perfect for us, too. It was very near the metro, and we could walk almost everywhere, which is our preference. We were in the Latin Quarter, could walk to the Old Port, the Village, and even Mile End. We walked to the Museum of Fine Arts, McGill, and Mont Royal. We had a car, but it remained parked for the whole visit. (Another benefit was that the hotel could provide parking for an additional fee -- worth it.). Breakfast was wonderful -- fresh-squeezed juices, organic breads, lovely pastries, fritatas, fruit, yogurt -- many choices and all good, and much more than a typical continental breakfast. We ate at a lovely oval table with interesting guests who were fun, and Denis, the owner, interacted with us at the table. What a way to start each day! He and his staff were all very accommodating and friendly in addition to being professional. There was not a single snag in this visit. I can recoomend a reservation here "without reservation."

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any room or apartment in this B&B.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My wife and I just arrived home from a two- night stay at The Victorian Heritage B&B... And it was a joy to have stayed with Denis. The Latin Quarter was so very lively. Especially along St Denis where the evening crowd was bustling even during the week nights. The room in the dormer was great... Huge bath tub in the room, large modern shower, and super comfortable bed. The breakfast was more than adequate - fresh fruit, yogurt, wonderful coffee, and the offer of an omelette. Yummy! It is a real find.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sigotter
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed for a week total at the Heritage Victorien, first in the Dormer Room, then in the Garden Apartment in June 2014. Both were nicely furnished with everything you could want. Both were very comfortable & quiet. The apartment was very spacious and has its own separate entrance. Breakfast was great. Every morning there was fresh fruit, a variety of breads, eggs or omelets, yogurt, cereal, etc. The fresh squeezed orange juice was something we looked forward to. Denis, the host was very friendly and made us feel welcome. He and his staff made sure everything we needed was taken care of. Right around the corner on St Denis there is every type of restaurant imaginable, as well as plenty of places for a drink. Metro is very close, but most sites are within walking distance. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Montreal!

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed in the loft apartment over the weekend and the experience was unforgettable. The owner Denis gave us a tour of the house and the history behind it, and his love for preserving the history within the house was very special. It gave us a sort of feel for the history of Montreal and it was a unique experience to see someone who takes so much pride in what they do. Everyone on the staff was absolutely wonderful and kind. I was a little afraid of having a bad experience because we don't speak French but everyone was so kind and made us feel so welcome. The owner was even kind enough to show us the original diary of the girl who lived there, and told us of his plans to keep restoring the original documents and things to the house. His love and passion for preserving the history of the house made the visit extra special for me.

I was a little unsure about eating breakfast at a table with strangers since I'm rather shy but it was lovely! We talked to a wonderful couple visiting from England, some others visiting from America and other guests in the hotel. I looked forward to breakfast to see who we would meet that morning.

The food was so delicious. I have a fairly bad allergy to strawberries and Denis was kind enough to help me make sure I didn't eat anything that would have ruined my trip. The bagels were probably my favorite thing, but the omelettes are fresh made and were also lovely. The fresh squeezed orange juice is absolutely heavenly. Most of the time fresh squeezed is just a saying but they really do make the orange juice there and it is so outstanding. Make sure you give the homemade jams a try as well, they're absolutely wonderful. I love to make my own homemade jams so I can be sort of choosy but theirs are so delicious.

We stayed in the loft apartment, it was a lot of stairs but well worth it. The windows in the back look over the back yard and the garden, the apartment itself was so lovely. The decor was beautiful, you'll want to bring a bottle of bubble bath to take a bath in that gorgeous bathtub! I also enjoyed that the inn is so close to so many places within Montreal. Having an apartment really gives you a chance to have a more intimate experience with Montreal, being able to walk to the market and pick up some wonderful french breads and cheeses or pasta to make your own meals makes you feel like you're a part of the city. The inn is also close to so many wonderful restaurants, bars, and other attractions in Montreal. I don't have a single thing to say about this place that isn't glowing. It's truly a magical experience you don't get in a big hotel chain. You owe it to yourself to experience this bed and breakfast at least once, I promise you won't regret it!

Room Tip: The loft apartment is up two flights of stairs so if you have trouble climbing stairs I would pick a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and i stayed in the dormer room. We couldn't have been happier with the quality , the location, the host, everything. Denis gave us great advice and was patient with our lack of french - as was everyone else we ran across in montreal. Outstanding breakfasts : fresh breads cheeses fruits. Beautiful dining room with music setting the mood. Ideal place for our 20th anniv.

Room Tip: An easy cheaper way to get there is the 747 shuttle bus from the airport. Take it to the end of the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple