“Delightful Treat for Us All”
Review of Victorian Heritage

Victorian Heritage
Ranked #5 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband, adult son, and I stayed at the Heritage Victorien for three nights this month. It should have been four, or five, or six, or more. We all loved it. From the time we were welcomed inside, I knew I had made a wonderful choice. We had a beautiful apartment -- not a room -- with two very large separate bedrooms, which accommodated three adults perfectly. The apartment included a modern and fully equipped (even a dishwasher) kitchen, an up-to-date bathroom, and a full-sized stackable washer and dryer. Each of the bedrooms had its own TV with cable, and we had air conditioning which we could control as needed. And those are just the practical features of the apartment! It was exqusitely decorated with interesting pieces, both old and new. for example, amidst all the Victorian pieces, an enormous wooden mask was hung over the fireplace. One of the rooms contained a beautiful antique metal soaking tub. We didn't use it, but it did have running water. What fun! Nothing was shabby -- not the rugs, the bedding, nothing. Everything was absolutely lovely. The location was perfect for us, too. It was very near the metro, and we could walk almost everywhere, which is our preference. We were in the Latin Quarter, could walk to the Old Port, the Village, and even Mile End. We walked to the Museum of Fine Arts, McGill, and Mont Royal. We had a car, but it remained parked for the whole visit. (Another benefit was that the hotel could provide parking for an additional fee -- worth it.). Breakfast was wonderful -- fresh-squeezed juices, organic breads, lovely pastries, fritatas, fruit, yogurt -- many choices and all good, and much more than a typical continental breakfast. We ate at a lovely oval table with interesting guests who were fun, and Denis, the owner, interacted with us at the table. What a way to start each day! He and his staff were all very accommodating and friendly in addition to being professional. There was not a single snag in this visit. I can recoomend a reservation here "without reservation."

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any room or apartment in this B&B.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 22, 2014

My wife and I just arrived home from a two- night stay at The Victorian Heritage B&B... And it was a joy to have stayed with Denis. The Latin Quarter was so very lively. Especially along St Denis where the evening crowd was bustling even during the week nights. The room in the dormer was great... Huge bath tub in the room, large modern shower, and super comfortable bed. The breakfast was more than adequate - fresh fruit, yogurt, wonderful coffee, and the offer of an omelette. Yummy! It is a real find.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sigotter
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed for a week total at the Heritage Victorien, first in the Dormer Room, then in the Garden Apartment in June 2014. Both were nicely furnished with everything you could want. Both were very comfortable & quiet. The apartment was very spacious and has its own separate entrance. Breakfast was great. Every morning there was fresh fruit, a variety of breads, eggs or omelets, yogurt, cereal, etc. The fresh squeezed orange juice was something we looked forward to. Denis, the host was very friendly and made us feel welcome. He and his staff made sure everything we needed was taken care of. Right around the corner on St Denis there is every type of restaurant imaginable, as well as plenty of places for a drink. Metro is very close, but most sites are within walking distance. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Montreal!

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed in the loft apartment over the weekend and the experience was unforgettable. The owner Denis gave us a tour of the house and the history behind it, and his love for preserving the history within the house was very special. It gave us a sort of feel for the history of Montreal and it was a unique experience to see someone who takes so much pride in what they do. Everyone on the staff was absolutely wonderful and kind. I was a little afraid of having a bad experience because we don't speak French but everyone was so kind and made us feel so welcome. The owner was even kind enough to show us the original diary of the girl who lived there, and told us of his plans to keep restoring the original documents and things to the house. His love and passion for preserving the history of the house made the visit extra special for me.

I was a little unsure about eating breakfast at a table with strangers since I'm rather shy but it was lovely! We talked to a wonderful couple visiting from England, some others visiting from America and other guests in the hotel. I looked forward to breakfast to see who we would meet that morning.

The food was so delicious. I have a fairly bad allergy to strawberries and Denis was kind enough to help me make sure I didn't eat anything that would have ruined my trip. The bagels were probably my favorite thing, but the omelettes are fresh made and were also lovely. The fresh squeezed orange juice is absolutely heavenly. Most of the time fresh squeezed is just a saying but they really do make the orange juice there and it is so outstanding. Make sure you give the homemade jams a try as well, they're absolutely wonderful. I love to make my own homemade jams so I can be sort of choosy but theirs are so delicious.

We stayed in the loft apartment, it was a lot of stairs but well worth it. The windows in the back look over the back yard and the garden, the apartment itself was so lovely. The decor was beautiful, you'll want to bring a bottle of bubble bath to take a bath in that gorgeous bathtub! I also enjoyed that the inn is so close to so many places within Montreal. Having an apartment really gives you a chance to have a more intimate experience with Montreal, being able to walk to the market and pick up some wonderful french breads and cheeses or pasta to make your own meals makes you feel like you're a part of the city. The inn is also close to so many wonderful restaurants, bars, and other attractions in Montreal. I don't have a single thing to say about this place that isn't glowing. It's truly a magical experience you don't get in a big hotel chain. You owe it to yourself to experience this bed and breakfast at least once, I promise you won't regret it!

Room Tip: The loft apartment is up two flights of stairs so if you have trouble climbing stairs I would pick a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and i stayed in the dormer room. We couldn't have been happier with the quality , the location, the host, everything. Denis gave us great advice and was patient with our lack of french - as was everyone else we ran across in montreal. Outstanding breakfasts : fresh breads cheeses fruits. Beautiful dining room with music setting the mood. Ideal place for our 20th anniv.

Room Tip: An easy cheaper way to get there is the 747 shuttle bus from the airport. Take it to the end of the...
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights over this past week-end. As has been said by others, the inn is very nicely decorated and comfortable.
Michel greeted us upon our arrival Friday afternoon, showed us to our room, and gave us some recommendations as we headed out the door to explore Montreal.
We stayed in the Judge room which overlooks Ontario Street. The room was very comfortable, internet was very reliable and worked great. We parked our car in the back and didn't have to use it all week-end if we didn't want to (we used it to drive to St. Joseph's Oratory (Parking is $5) so that we could see some of the city along the way rather than taking the metro).
The B&B is within walking distance to downtown (10 or so minutes to the underground City and Place des Arts) and Old Montreal (approx 1.6KM, about 15-20 minutes).
The breakfasts were delicious, from the various breads (bread with brier, chocolate and almond bread, etc..3-4 varieties each morning to choose from) to the freshly made eggs. Denis and hist staff was kind enough to make me scrambled eggs upon request. The FRESHLY squeezed orange and mango juice was delicious as well. breakfast also made for a ice time to chat with others staying at the B&B....something you don't get when staying at a corporate hotel.
There are some restaurants only a block away on Rue St. Denis as well.
We'd recommend staying here to any of our friends!!!
Enjoy!

1  Thank MDRedSox
Reviewed May 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Amelia room (2nd storey, facing front). We couldn't have been more satisfied, and would like to return.

The whole of the interior - public rooms and guest rooms - is sumptuously decorated in a Victorian style. It felt rich/luxurious to us. Our room, bed, shower, and tub were all remarkably comfortable and spacious. My wife especially liked the goat milk soap.

The breakfast foods were delicious. I believe that the weekend breakfasts are a bit more involved than the weekday breakfasts, but all were well-made and really tasty. Even the breads were great, and made by an artisanal baker.

Denis, the owner, was a pleasure to talk with and he made some great recommendations to us. We met three of his staff (Arturo, Michel, Guylaine), who were all extra helpful and kind.

This was a practical place to stay as well! For us it was perfectly located. Only a couple minutes to walk up Saint Denis Street to view the attractive Victorian-era buildings and pricey shoppes. A 15 to 30 minute walk to Old Montreal, Chinatown, and some must-see churches (Notre Dame, St Patrick's, and Mary Queen of the World). About 3 blocks to the nearest metro station so we could visit St Joseph's Oratory and the Mountain without driving (it turns out there is a large free parking area at St Joseph's and near the park, so it would have been faster, easier, and cheaper to drive, but taking a clean and comfortable metro was a great experience anyway). The Latin Quarter itself is a colorful neighborhood. For all that, we thought the price was extremely reasonable.

Also, given Montreal's reputation for theft of US cars, and the difficulty in finding free parking in the city (meters are 1 hour and cost a few dollars per hour), we appreciated the fenced and locked parking spaces behind the B&B's back garden.

Room Tip: Even though we were in a room with three large windows overlooking a main road with restaurants and...