“Disgusting, Nauseating, Smelly, Nightmare”
Review of Hotel Arena Palace

Hotel Arena Palace
Ranked #145 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
“Disgusting, Nauseating, Smelly, Nightmare”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

AVOID THIS "hostel". It's nightmare. Be prepared to pay 15-20 $ more than the "advertised price because of "key fees" and "taxes". The staff are rude/unfriendly 2) The rooms ARE AWFUL. THEY SMELL LIKE A COMBINATION OF STALE TOBACCO, MARIJUANA, and BODY ODOR. Poorly painted, hot, musty, and there is no attempt at upkeep. The showers and bathrooms were disgusting I didn't dare use them. 3.There were bed bugs, so I had t sleep on my luggage and clothing to create a barrier. DO NO STAY AT THIS HOTEL. For a few dollars more you can stay at Residence du Voyager or go to Priceline.com and make a bid on a 'REAL HOTEL ROOM"

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. For a few bucks more you can get a "real hotel room. Or go to Priceline.co...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank artbrutnewyork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2012

do not ever stay in that hotel, the person who runs that hotel is rude and ignorant
the bed have had bed bugs and it was gross dirty
a little sink was full of rust
the fan wasn't working
when we asked for money back the guy wouldn't pay back us the money
way of making of people

Room Tip: a hotel was cheaper and cleaner then this crap
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 155032Montreal

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed here over the F1 weekend, basically because I couldn't find anywhere else to stay.
Before I arrived I was a little worried based on the other reviews here, however it was not as bad as it's been portrayed.

If you want somewhere with a bed & a shower for a reasonable price, then go for it.
I stayed in the deluxe room - the room & bed sheets were clean, I had my own private shower & there was enough room for 2 people. The doorman/receptionist were very helpful whenever we need them & there is a friendly bar underneath the hotel, which was not noisy at night.

The location is great & very close to the metro station.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Scott O
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Go to Hotel La Residence Voyageur instead - a world of difference for just a few extra dollars per night - amazing service and very clean dwelling.

Unsanitary and poor value; Terrible management:
I have stayed at Hotel Eureka 3 times in the past because of it's low price, with mixed feelings. But, after my most recent trip to Montreal I will NEVER stay there again. I arrived at night and asked for a room for two people. I was charged $70 for one night plus a $5 key deposit and was directed to a room on the third floor that ended up having a single bed - NOT a two-person room. I asked to change rooms and was then offered a room with a queen-size bed. The bed, sheets, and room were filthy. I asked the desk person to change the bed sheets and they only provided another sheet for us to change ourselves, which wasn't even the correct size.

After being sold a room for a two people, and being provided a 1-person room, and then being offered an unprepared room and asked to change the bed sheets myself, I decided not to stay and asked for my money back. The desk person refused to provide a refund saying that it was against the hotel's policy. They had written by hand "No re-imbursements" on a receipt that was not provided to us at the time of purchase, and claimed that they did everything within reason to satisfy us. After some time arguing, we left this disgusting hotel and lost the money we paid.

We ended up staying at Hotel La Residence Voyageur, which was $80 per night for a clean, two-bed large room with ensuite full bathroom and small breakfast included. I will always go back to Hotel La Residence Voyageur for the value and service. It was fantastic!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bill C
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Absolutely the worst dump I've ever stayed in, and that includes hotels and hostels in dozens of countries on five continents. Even a $2 per night hostel in Malaysia was better. Much better.

I paid for a week and left after three days, don't know how I lasted that long. The heater worked the first night (in January) but not the next two nights, workmen directly across from my door until late at night, nobody on duty to complain to. Entrance reeks of orange air "freshener" - what smell are they trying to cover up? Lots of drunk and stoned guys and strange noises. Didn't get my money back of course. Tried filing a complaint with the BBB, Montreal Tourism, Small Hotels Association, and others - nobody will help. Even sent an e-mail to several homeless shelters, offering them the room for the remainder of the week - no takers.

And you have to give this place a minimum of one star (circle) or you get an error message. This place doesn't even deserve that.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank lee g
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I booked this "hotel" at the last minute for New Year's weekend. I was aware that it didn't get the best reviews, but I was cautiously optimistic. Anyway, it did meet my expectations.

The only positive thing I can say about Hotel Eureka is the location: it is close to the bus stop, to metro stops, Gay Village /St. Catherine St (2 blocks away). I did see a lot of homeless in the area, but I felt perfectly safe.

When I arrived a the "hotel," they made me pay in cash at check-in which I thought was very unprincipled (and wrote on Booking.com that they should include that information as well a quote the entire “hotel price” with tax included). I made them show me the room which was not “made up,” but they gave me a better one upstairs. The people at "reception" (aka a dutch door at the wall right near the front door) seemed nice enough, but spoke little English.

The hotel is old, falling apart, depressing (despite pathetic attempt for cheeriness with a peeling purple and yellow paint job and décor in the hallways) and has breakneck stairs (if you have problems with your knees or a lot of luggage, go elsewhere). The room I had was bare bones: bed, sink, mirror, bedside table, desk and TV. The sink and mirror were clean, but the cleanliness of rest of the room and the bed linens were questionable. Therefore, I slept on the comforter and the blanket I brought from home. Besides that, it took a good 20 minutes for the room to heat up (apparently, they had the heat off when people aren’t there) after I arrived and sometimes quite cold during the night. Best of all, there was only one working electric outlet in the entire room which the bedside table lamp was plugged into (this consisted of an extension cord that disappeared into a hole in the wall).

Now for the bathroom and showers: they were located down the hall in separate rooms, European style, but are a bit claustrophobic. I don’t mind this, but again, it wasn’t clear the last time they had been cleaned and two of them didn’t have working locks. I was very happy that I had brought my flip-flops for the shower (also, be sure to bring towels, they do not supply them). Finally, one of the shower and toilet rooms are only separated by a partial wall (a 2-3 inch gap from the ceiling). Therefore, if you are in the shower and another person is doing some business on the toilet, you can hear and smell everything. Worst of all, if you are in the shower and not aware of this “gap” between the two rooms, you might fear that someone is standing outside the shower curtain and is about to reenact the famous shower scene from Psycho with you staring as the victim.

Overall, I wasn't impressed by Hotel Eureka and would most likely gone elsewhere if it wasn't New Year's weekend. However, it was only for two days and didn't ruin my stay in Montreal which is a wonderful city.

Room Tip: Request to see a room before you hand over your cash.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank LaraM_15
kenducky
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Do not ever stay here, Pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is terrible!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business