“Worst Place ive ever seen”
Review of Hotel Arena Palace

Hotel Arena Palace
Ranked #137 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed December 6, 2007

This is the dirtiest hotel ive ever seen, and im not a picky person by anymeans. Drug addicts all over the place and prostitutes all over. i was asked to buy drugs before i even checked in. the staff is in on the stuff goin on in side as i saw them goin in and out of rooms at all hours. you share a bathroom and shower, its just gross. the staff was incredable rude wouldnt even let u finish a sentene without inturupting. tried to charge five dollars for an extra key. the rooms were filthy cigarette stains all over the sing, no phone tv didnt work, the beds were 2 inches apart no space to walk around.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank nplv18

Reviewed September 20, 2007

Using Orbitz in June, I made our reservation for the end of July. My credit card was immediately charged one night by the hotel. I found that strange and figured out what happened as I checked into the hotel. The employee named Johnny and I figured out that the hotel mistakenly assumed my reservation was for June. They assumed we were a no-show. Thus, they charged me that night. Luckily I had printed out a copy of the orbitz reservation as that was the only proof I had that the hotel made the mistake! Johnny printed out a receipt and explained that at that moment of our actual check-in, I would be refunded the money wrongly charged in June and would be charged the entire amount of our stay. I finally got my refund for that incorrect initial charge--only after I filed a claim with my credit card company and emailed the hotel saying it was long after my stay and I never was given the refund to which I was entitled. It proved worth it to keep the paper trail!
I didn't think the hotel was in the worst area. I felt it was safe at night to walk around. It was just very noisy! The Berri-Uqam subway stop was a convenient few steps away. (You can easily cut through the Couche-Tard mini-mart located very close to the hotel)
Our room was cramped. Barely enough room between the beds and anything nearby. The whimpy ceiling fan was more a noise nuisance and didn't cool us off at all. And the room temperature climbed very high on the hot summer nights! The one small window could be opened but there was barely any breeze and the noise from the streets below would wake the dead--especially on a weekend!
The shared bathrooms were always unoccupied when needed. Footwear (flip flops, etc.) highly recommended while showering.
Neither the towels nor the linens were changed at all during the few days of our stay. The linen closet across from our room was left opened/unlocked for the first two days of our stay so we thought we were supposed to help ourselves--and that we did.
Would I stay here again? Maybe. If I did though, I would bring a big fan or three in the back of our car so we could be cooled off at night. And most importantly, I would again make the reservation via something like Orbitz for the visible fact that their records don't seem to be well-organized. I mean...imagine if we arrived and there were no rooms for us since they had incorrectly assumed our stay was for June.
See my pictures and make sure you're prepared to sacrifice some comfort--since you're most likely trying to save money by staying here (like us).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank funnychap24
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Hotel Eureka is not in the safest part of Montreal but it is in a very convenient location. My friend and I stayed in Hotel Eureka for 3 nights and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go (shopping, food, bus, café, club), and no taxi was needed.
Upon entering the Hotel, the scene is quite like a small town house with many, very steep narrow steps (so if you’re not into climbing stairs, maybe this isn’t the best place).
The receptionist guy was really nice, we were late for check in and he didn’t get upset. He gave us our keys and walked us to our room.
The room itself was SO SMALL! But, for the price we paid it was fine. We had our own shower and sink and the toilette was down the hall. The shower was so clean; in fact, the entire room was very clean upon arrival. The toilette down the hall was cleaned a few times a day so it never smelt bad or had someone else’s “leavings” in there.
They do not come into your room during the day and make the bed for you or anything, they don’t even give fresh towels, but I’m sure if you asked they would give.
The noise level inside the hotel was quiet during night hours but it was a bit on the noisy side outside of the hotel and from our room we could hear it all.
I’m a clean freak so I was a little apprehensive about going to a lower end hotel, but this place was clean, small but clean. I would definitely book a room in Hotel Eureka again!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We arrived at the airport in Montreal late at night, the hotel is quite the economy hotel and therefore has no airport shuttle. It is a flat rate of $35 for a taxi to downtown Montreal. The hotel has a great location, it is right across the road from an entrance to the underground and Metro entrance. To enter the hotel, you need to ring a buzzer for someone to let you in 24 hours a day (24 hour security). We did have some problems checking in on the first night, because their credit card machine could not connect. After trying for about a half hour, they told me I could pay tomorrow. Upon entering the room, I noticed that there was only a sink, a bed, and a tv that got one english channel. However, everything was very clean, and there were two toilets and two showers in the hallway. My girlfriend loved it and would return in a heartbeat, I personally would rather a hotel with my own shower and toilet. If you are looking for a place to simply sleep and are on a tight budget, this is the place for you. If you enjoy any amenities at all, keep looking.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonstebow
burlington, ontario
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I stayed at hotel Eureka for the Canada day long weekend. When I called, the person said that the room would be $100 dollars a night and since there were three of us, the extra person would be $10 a night. So, the total cost for two nights should have been $220. Okay - so I make a reservation.

When I check in, the bill comes to $284.34...I ask why it's so high and am told that it's the extra person and the taxes. This was my mistake: I shrug and sign the credit card slip.

The bill seems way too high so I find out what the tax rate is: 17.5% - verified by a person at the Holiday Inn. So, the bill should only be $258.50. I point out the mistake while I'm checking out and am told that apparently the extra person is $20 each night! (accompanied by an official looking spreadsheet) Who would agree to pay $20 each night for an extra mattress on the floor??? Not me.

So bottom line is DON'T MAKE A RESERVATION - THE PRICE CHANGES BETWEEN THE PHONE AND THE FRONT DESK.

Apart from my main complaint about feeling ripped off by the hotel guy, you should also know that:
- the shower are extremely claustrophobic
- there are some stinky people staying in the hotel
- there's no AC and the ceiling fan does look like it's about to fall off and kill you
- the tv isn't broken - it just doesn't have cable so you get 2.5 channels in black and white
- the room was tiny
- parking cost $18 / night
- the floor of the closet in our room was totally gross - the tile was peeling and it was really dirty
- the towels are old and threadbare
- the blinds don't block out any morning sunlight (bring an eye mask)
- there's a LOT of street noise on Saturday nights (I slept fine with earplugs)

But on the plus side:
- the hotel is less than a block from a main subway station where three subway lines intersect
- it's a block from the gay village which feels super safe to walk in at night (as a woman, anyway)
- the hotel has character

So all in all, if you don't reserve and manage to negotiate a reasonable price upon arrival (speaking fluent french would help), it's not a bad place to stay. Just don't reserve in advance.

• Stayed: July 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Burlington, VT
Reviewed February 15, 2006

I stayed in the hotel Eureka last year in June for the Montreal Grand-Prix. I didnt expect much from the hotel because i already knew that it was in a somewhat bad neighborhood. Upon arrival, I saw 2 prostitues walk in. The service was terrible, tried charging more than they said over the phone. Doors were rickety and the locks we terrible( someone could easily break in your room. That night was the worst night ever in a hotel, it was 85 degrees inside, no A/C,a broken tv, loud yelling from a bar outside, and prostitues coming and going all the while. I would not suggest this hotel to anyone, even if they were broke and out of money.

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed September 5, 2005

The rate for the hotel changes depending on what the office feels they can get form u. They offered a special savings if we paid cash and when we did there was no differance. The room were very small and good luck tring to get clean towels the next day (forget about having the room changed over). I was never so hot in my life in a room. I could open the window and hear the singing from the bar below to 4:00 am in the morning or close it and bake in the room. Fan works that was the only thing but was not good to cool off the room. No clock, radio, or phone but there is a tv but it doesn't work.

• Stayed: August 2005