“a delightful place for a morning croissant”

Maison Christian Faure Patisserie
Ranked #1 of 111 Dessert in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Veritable institution dediee a la patisserie, la Maison Christian Faure est a la fois une patisserie d'exception, un comptoir de Snacking Chic a deguster sur le pouce et une boutique de cadeaux gourmands. C'est aussi et surtout la premiere maison internationale d'enseignement specialise dediee a la patisserie francaise au Canada! ----------------- Veritable institution dediee a la patisserie, la Maison Christian Faure est a la fois une patisserie d'exception, un comptoir de Snacking Chic a deguster sur le pouce et une boutique de cadeaux gourmands. C'est aussi et surtout la premiere maison internationale d'enseignement specialise dediee a la patisserie francaise au Canada!
Sacramento CA
“a delightful place for a morning croissant”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

A wonderful breakfast stop in Old Montreal. Friendly prompt service and a tasty array of pastries and desserts made on the premises. Surrounded by art galleries and other fine restaurants.

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
BostonMA
“Dreaming of this lunch”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We had a wonderful lunch at Christian Faure. Service was very friendly and efficient, and the gravlax club was to die for. Some of the best salmon I've ever eaten, and the poached egg with salmon roe on top put it over the top. Nicoise salad was also great. Nice wines, coffees, and needless to say, the most wonderful pastries. Such a pretty, pleasant place to eat lunch.

• Visited July 2014
Ottawa
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My friend and I stopped in here because they had a nice looking lunch menu. We each had a glass of wine (from France and Quebec) and delicious food. We split the Salmon Gravlax club sandwich and the salade nicoise. Both were excellent. The bread for the sandwich was delicious, and clearly fresh, considering it was probably made onsite earlier that day.
This place is clearly set up as a bakery, as to get to a bathroom you have to take an elevator up to the fifth floor, which isn't the practical. Nonetheless, I would still recommend this place to anyone visiting the Old Port and looking for a delicious snack or lunch.

• Visited May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great pastries”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We had a great breakfast but I'd say this is better for picking up some pastries. All of them are beautiful and anything just out of the oven - buy it you won't be disappointed.

Montreal, Canada
“Best Pastries in Town”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Location: Tucked away in the old port, just off St. Paul.

Space: You can tell that great care was taken in the design and decor of this space because it's absolutely stunning. When you walk in, you'll notice a beautiful mural depicting the days of Montreal past. Similarly, there is another mural located inside the shop. Yes, the place is mostly white and may come across as sterile to some, however, all that white is contrasted with beautiful pops of color that peek out from behind the displays... Displays that are filled with lovely, perfectly crafted pastries and sweets that you would be a fool not to try. Not to mention the awesome stone wall (that may or may not be original) and hardwood floors. The space is incredible - I'm thinking they should let me live there. In terms of seating, there are only a handful of tables, but these are well spaced out so you don't need to share your dessert with your neighbors. You all know how I feel about personal space!

Stuff: The Maison CF offers fresh pastries that are so pretty, you'll feel bad cutting into them with that fancy spork they give you. They also make macarons, cakes, baked goods, and they have a refrigerated section where you can purchase pre-made cakes. I'm not sure if they're ice cream cakes so you can go check that out for yourself. I ordered an Americano and it was served just the way I like it, using Illy coffee. My dessert of choice was the chocolate eclair. It was positively divine - delectable - deliriously delicious. I have never been served an eclair that was so.... stuffed - and the filling was chocolate! YUM! They're not cheap, that's for sure. The eclair was amazing and I could tell the patissier uses quality ingredients simply by its taste and texture. That said, it WAS a bit rich, which is why I begrudgingly left a little piece behind. I just couldn't eat anymore despite my best efforts. My date had the pot au caramel and loved it.

Service: This is why I rated this 4 stars instead of 5. No one greeted us when we walked in. We stood at the counter for a minute because we weren't sure if we should be waiting for someone to seat us or if it was OK to pick our own table. Even then, no one greeted us. We then sat at our table for a few minutes while boy-waiters walked by and looked at us, but still offered no greeting. HELLO are you BLIND? For a minute, I thought we'd entered into a new restaurant trend - where the wait staff is both blind and mute. When we finally did get service, our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable, so that made up for the initial failure to launch. BUT you should still greet your clients when they walk through the door. On a related note, M. Faure was out and about on the floor chitchatting with clients as well as greeting those that walked through the door. We ran into him in the elevator and he was very friendly. It's great to see a business owner taking the time to interact with their clientele - it definitely encourages repeat visits!

So.... you have to go. Get off your couch, brave the crazy Montreal polar vortex and go feast on Christian Faure's pastries. Don't worry - you'll leave there a little plumper so you won't feel the cold as much =-D

• Visited January 2014