“Best Pastries in Town”

Maison Christian Faure Patisserie
Ranked #1 of 124 Dessert in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Veritable institution dediee a la patisserie, la Maison Christian Faure est a la fois une patisserie d'exception, un comptoir de Snacking Chic a deguster sur le pouce et une boutique de cadeaux gourmands. C'est aussi et surtout la premiere maison internationale d'enseignement specialise dediee a la patisserie francaise au Canada! ----------------- Veritable institution dediee a la patisserie, la Maison Christian Faure est a la fois une patisserie d'exception, un comptoir de Snacking Chic a deguster sur le pouce et une boutique de cadeaux gourmands. C'est aussi et surtout la premiere maison internationale d'enseignement specialise dediee a la patisserie francaise au Canada!
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Location: Tucked away in the old port, just off St. Paul.

Space: You can tell that great care was taken in the design and decor of this space because it's absolutely stunning. When you walk in, you'll notice a beautiful mural depicting the days of Montreal past. Similarly, there is another mural located inside the shop. Yes, the place is mostly white and may come across as sterile to some, however, all that white is contrasted with beautiful pops of color that peek out from behind the displays... Displays that are filled with lovely, perfectly crafted pastries and sweets that you would be a fool not to try. Not to mention the awesome stone wall (that may or may not be original) and hardwood floors. The space is incredible - I'm thinking they should let me live there. In terms of seating, there are only a handful of tables, but these are well spaced out so you don't need to share your dessert with your neighbors. You all know how I feel about personal space!

Stuff: The Maison CF offers fresh pastries that are so pretty, you'll feel bad cutting into them with that fancy spork they give you. They also make macarons, cakes, baked goods, and they have a refrigerated section where you can purchase pre-made cakes. I'm not sure if they're ice cream cakes so you can go check that out for yourself. I ordered an Americano and it was served just the way I like it, using Illy coffee. My dessert of choice was the chocolate eclair. It was positively divine - delectable - deliriously delicious. I have never been served an eclair that was so.... stuffed - and the filling was chocolate! YUM! They're not cheap, that's for sure. The eclair was amazing and I could tell the patissier uses quality ingredients simply by its taste and texture. That said, it WAS a bit rich, which is why I begrudgingly left a little piece behind. I just couldn't eat anymore despite my best efforts. My date had the pot au caramel and loved it.

Service: This is why I rated this 4 stars instead of 5. No one greeted us when we walked in. We stood at the counter for a minute because we weren't sure if we should be waiting for someone to seat us or if it was OK to pick our own table. Even then, no one greeted us. We then sat at our table for a few minutes while boy-waiters walked by and looked at us, but still offered no greeting. HELLO are you BLIND? For a minute, I thought we'd entered into a new restaurant trend - where the wait staff is both blind and mute. When we finally did get service, our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable, so that made up for the initial failure to launch. BUT you should still greet your clients when they walk through the door. On a related note, M. Faure was out and about on the floor chitchatting with clients as well as greeting those that walked through the door. We ran into him in the elevator and he was very friendly. It's great to see a business owner taking the time to interact with their clientele - it definitely encourages repeat visits!

So.... you have to go. Get off your couch, brave the crazy Montreal polar vortex and go feast on Christian Faure's pastries. Don't worry - you'll leave there a little plumper so you won't feel the cold as much =-D

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Incredibly cute spot in Old Montreal for brunch and to die for pastries. I'm still dreaming about the macaroons.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Go, definitely go. The best croissants I have ever had! We enjoyed breakfast (petite dejeuner) there on Saturday morning. The madelines are not overly sweet and go perfectly with the preserves. Do not get me started on the apple turnovers...This is a must stop!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This lovely spot overlooking Place Royale is a haven from the Old Montreal tourist crowds. Bright, relaxing place serving up beautifully prepared French pastries--what is not to like? Yes, there are larger pieces of pastries to be had at a smaller price, but the flavours of quality chocolate and butter within each bite makes the small splurge worth every cent. The croissant a perfect and the chausson aux pommes delicious. Lunch and brunch is also served but something I have yet to explore.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We've lived in the old port for 7 years and the patisseries have come and gone, for a reason.
Maison Christian Faure what a great find - really great.

Packed as the best ones are, but well worth the wait.

The patisseries were mouth watering to look at, and the people around our table moaned and shared their happiness with us. Really, they saw us staring and we had a communal discussion. All in the 'yum', 'ooh', 'ahh' category.

We had a salad and the club sandwich. The salad was amazing. The club, good, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The house ice tea was fantastic.

My vote: try it out