“Comfortable rooms, decent service, but a bit noisy”
Review of Hotel 10

Hotel 10
Ranked #39 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Burlington, Vermont
“Comfortable rooms, decent service, but a bit noisy”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Overall, we were fairly unhappy with our stay at Hotel 10. The good parts were the rooms were spacious & comfortable. We had a decent view of the city and the bathroom was really nice. I loved the glass standing shower. We did have a few qualms with the place though. We were unable to figure out the AC, it basically did not seem to be working. We called to the front desk for help, but we had to go to dinner. They said someone would come up and fix it, but when we returned late at night it was still very warm in the room. Luckily it was cool outside so opening the window helped a lot. The second night we were there, we put in another request for the AC to be fixed and were told someone would be right up. No one ever came. The second night was much warmer and we both had a difficult time sleeping. The side of the building we stayed on there was construction happening at 7am on both Saturday and Sunday. Since, we had the window open because of the hot room, this was extremely loud and disruptive. We basically did not get to sleep in either day we were there. If we had been able to keep the window closed I feel like this would have made a huge difference as far as noise goes. Finally, we received our bill when we checked out and it was for only $32 or so, but my boyfriends credit card got charged an additional $95 and $7. There was definitely no reason for this so we are going to have to call today and have them reverse the charges. Based on all of these issues, I probably will not be staying here again.

1 Thank major1018
HOTEL10GM, Rooms Division Director at Hotel 10, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Major1018,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our new renovated rooms. I am really sorry to hear that you experience issues with the AC system in the room. I just want to let you know that in final process of our renovations, we are at the moment changing all AC units that are causing issues. Also if you are still experiencing discrepancy with your credit card statement, please do not hesitate to contact me directly

Patrick Elbaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
New York
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I specifically requested a quiet room when I reserved, and the staff appeared to be aware of this as during check in they noted that I was on the 5th floor so that noise would not be a problem. However, the noise from the night club was unlike anything I've ever heard (despite living above a bar in NY for years). When I called to complain (3 times), I was told any room they could transfer me to would be even louder and that "maybe someday the management will fix this." Even after the noise ended at 3 pm, drunk people roamed the halls and even knocked at our door. The staff was lovely, and I feel horrible that they have to deal with constant noise complaints from guests every Friday and Saturday night. It's unbelievable that they even attempt to rent out rooms on tops of an incredibly loud nightclub, and even more shocking that they didn't offer to refund our payment for the room for Saturday night.

Also, one morning the hotel was completely out of hot water and when we called we were told that it would be fixed in a couple hours.

The rooms were clean and the location was good, but given that we essentially lost a day of our vacation due to not being able to sleep until 4 am - I'd have to rate this as one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I'm shocked they have 4 stars.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel on a Friday or Saturday night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank mc2599
HOTEL10GM, Rooms Division Director at Hotel 10, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear mc2599,

Thank you for taking the time to share your remarks on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you being a guest at our hotel and sincerely apologize that your experience did not live up to your expectations, this is really not the image we would like you to retain from your experience. We always pride ourselves in providing the best and efficient service to all our guest. We have at the hotel a very vibrant food and beverage operation and sometimes noise can be an issue in some rooms close to the restaurant. In the process of our renovations we are working on insolation solutions. Also we are very sorry regarding the hot water issue, our maintenance team was able to resolve the problem in a short period of time.

Once again thank you very much for your comments, and we do hope to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Checking in I was aware already of the noise issue due to the KOKO Restaurant & Bar going till 3:00 a.m. At check in, the staff raised the noise concern prior to assigning us our room, which was greatly appreciated. As we were there for the night life room location was not really a concern, or so we thought. Although the music stopped promplty at 3:00, the lingering noise afterwards continued for some time.

The room was well set up and the food at the KOKO Restaurant was excellent. One disappointing factor was that the air conditioning was not working in the room and when I called down during the afternoon, we were advised that maintenance was working on it. In the end, the air conditioning was not fixed. Taking into account the noise factor, leaving the room window open was not an option.

To add to the disappointment, at checkout when I raised the air conditioning issue again, other than the being asked whether I had called down, it was received as if it was not an issue at all. I was quickly provided with my reciept and I was left to leave with a feeling of...well my stay is over so thanks but no thanks!

Sometimes the best way to ensure repeat business is to ensure your customers are left with a sense that they matter.

Room Tip: If you are visiting for the night life, any room will be good. If not, would suggest a different hot...
2 Thank Larry B
HOTEL10GM, Rooms Division Director at Hotel 10, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Larry B,

Thank you for taking the time write post this review. I am happy to hear that at check in time our staff was able to accomodate you with your room request, and also that you enjoyed the food at Brooke restaurant.
I sincerely apologize for the discomfort that you felt during your stay because of the air conditionning not working. . I can assure you that we have had meetings with the maintenance, and the front desk department heads regarding your post.
Once again thank you very much for your feedback.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you are planning on coming back in the city.

Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Area was alive, art festival down street. Close to excellent restaurants and ,transportation. Staff always helpful and friendly. Easy to walk everywhere in town from this location. Checked in early morning, very easy. Really nice stylish room. Extremely clean.

Dear Decindio,

Thank you for the beautiful review on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed the location and the service at our hotel. It certainly makes our team feel great to read such nice and encouraging comments. We will share all your positive thoughts with our team at Hotel 10.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit in the city of Montréal.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2013

-very cute boutique hotel, smack in the middle of downtown Montreal
-modern room, contemporary design, very firm king sized bed with a full mini fridge
-restaurant downstairs was pricey but the food was delicious
-convenience store/gas station across the street

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jhnellorx,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this beautiful review on Hotel 10. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the location, the design and the comfort of our rooms. It certainly makes our team feel great to read such nice and encouraging comments.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit in the city.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 15, 2013

When I arrived at this hotel, I had high hopes... After all, it was almost $300 a night. No one informed me that I would have a complimentary night club inside the comfort of my own room! ( I guess they wanted to surprise me) I asked to be moved, I asked to be refunded. They tried to calm my frustration with free breakfast. Maybe I could stuff the croissants into my ears! lets face it, who could wake up in time for breakfast when they don't stop the music till 3am. My favorite part of the experience was when the woman informed me they don't do refunds. All I could think was, this would never happen at the Ritz Carlton, and for an extra 50 bucks i could have been staying there. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Myranda B
HOTEL10GM, Rooms Division Director at Hotel 10, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Myranda B,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize for the experience during your recent stay regarding noise in your guestroom. We have a very vibrant food and beverage operation on property and sometimes noise can be heard in specific rooms in the hotel causing some discomfort for our hotel guests. Our team works very hard to manage guest expectations for those that enjoy the vibrant energy or those that prefer a much quieter experience. We do have quieter room options and hope that we can welcome you back and will gladly accommodate you in one of those rooms. Once again thank you very much for your feedback.

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a boutique hotel and I was aware of this when booking. It was ok but I guess I would probably opt for a more conventional hotel if I was to return to Montreal. Probably says a lot about me though (a very young 57!!)
We arrived around 10.00am having disembarked from a cruise and knew check in was around 4.00pm. The receptionist was pleasant and confirmed what I had read, which was the nightclub in the hotel can be noisy and whereas they had two rooms available immediately they were over the nightclub. We elected to wait for the quieter rooms, available mid afternoon!
The rooms were comfortable, clean, well equipped and fairly sparse but in keeping with the style of the hotel. The bare cement ceiling however was somewhat disconcerting when trying to go to sleep.
We ate in for breakfast the first morning but for four of us including taxes and 15% gratuity it amounted to $90+ which I thought was somewhat excessive.
We did have a couple of issues with regard the bill. One being the hotel authorised/deducted $100 per room on arrival. I say deducted because whereas the hotel assured me it was only an authorisation, it was actually debited on my credit card statement and some 11 days later I am still trying to resolve this with the hotel and credit card company.
We also had two amounts (one for each room) of $207.40 mistakenly debited by the hotel which fortunately I was able to pick up as I was able to view my credit card statement on line the following day when we arrived into the USA. It did take two long distance calls to get this sorted.
The Hotel boasted a courtesy car for transporting guests within a 5km radius. However, each time we asked it was never convenient for anybody to drive us anywhere.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear David J,

Thank you for posting your honest feedback about your recent visit at our hotel. I am glad to hear that our staff was able to accommodate you in your room request. We sincerely regret not meeting your expectations. Our hotel has been built in the first poured concrete building in North America and therefore are designer decided to keep the ceilings has a reminder of this historical element.
Also, I am really sorry to hear of your credit issues, I can assure you that our procedure is only to take credit card authorization at check in time. If you still feel that the amounts are incorrect, do not hesitate to contact me directly.
I hope that we can welcome you back on your next stay in Montréal, and if you need more information on our rooms before your arrival, let us know.