“Visiting with friends”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #22 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I could only give this property a good as something's were excellent while others were poor.
Location, concierge, room decor, valet were all excellent. Issues that brought this score down, noise level friday and Saturday night, lobby bar is a busy night club, view looking out to "blue" wall not impressed. If you don't mind these issue then I would recommmend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for this review.
We are saddened to see that your stay with us did not meet all your expectations. This is not the image we would like you to retain of your recent experience at W Montréal.
Please note that we will consider your comments about the room in our renovation plan for 2015.
We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back at W Montréal.

Your W Montreal’s Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,499)

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Not a great view ( the view was directly into an office block) but a really nice room.
Bathroom was very nice.
Concierge were fantastic but service in the restaurant and at the front desk was poor at best.
Television choices in English were limited.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed at the W Montreal from 9/12 - 9/15 for a friend's bachelor party. We booked 2 mega rooms with double beds several months in advance. A very important thing to take into consideration is that many of the rooms face an inside courtyard which is essentially a wall a few feet away that is illuminated neon blue and has a few birds painted on it. Considering you are paying much more than $100 (more than $300) it’s very difficult to understand and quite honestly brings back painful memories. The bathroom has no privacy, not only is it separated by a large curtain but there are large holes in the entrance wall that allow you to peek in. I have a few other complaints:
1) I was erroneously charged for a night of valet parking. I called them when I returned to NY and they agreed to reverse it
2) I specifically requested an exterior/outdoor view when I made reservations, with both the Starwood program and also with the hotel. Only 1 of the rooms had an exterior view. On a positive note, the front desk was accommodating and moved us to a new room the next day.
3) I requested a late checkout for one of the rooms and reminded the front desk that I was a good customer of SPG and that I was spending several thousand dollars. They were not flexible at all and claimed that there were lots of upcoming check-ins, which I’m not convinced about considering it was a Sunday.
4) The valet parking attendant retrieved my car and asked me whether I wanted a bottle of water for the drive home. I said yes and was waiting in my car while my friends trickled out of the hotel. In the meantime the valet serviced many customers and handed them several bottles of water along the way. He clearly saw me waiting in front of the hotel and I think he wasn’t pleased with the 2 CAD tip I had given him. Unfortunately, I had no cash and that’s all I could give him. I didn’t realize that large tips were mandatory for good service and hydration.
5) The minibar costs are unreasonably high. I understand that my stupidity is also partly to blame but I cannot understand how they can charge you $60 for 375ml of vodka and have the arrogance/greediness to charge Auto Gratuity of $19.98 along with a $2.99 gratuity tax (see attached bill).

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nicolas S
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at the W Montreal. The W is located on Victoria Square on the edge of Old Montreal. I thought the location was pretty good. I walked everywhere for the entire weekend. Also the W has an Acura to drive you to places located near the hotel.

Overall, the service was very good. The Bellmen/Valets and concierges were excellent and attentive.

The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was great, large shower open bathroom. We had a suite that was very oddly configured. It was not ideal but better than a regular room which tends to be on the small side.

Parking was $35 a day which irritated me but thats what hotels do these days. Still not happy about it.

Also just so be aware there is a fair amount of tax on the room (Approximately 15% )

Overall, this was a good choice. I will stay here again if the price is right. I thought $180 per night was a good deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

W hotels are renown for its ultra chicness. The entrance was blocked by some-sort of table, which disrupted the flow of entrance. The lounge area was a nice place to chill. Dim lighting gave the hotel a night club feel. In fact, there was a night club right in the lobby. Don't expect to sleep well if you stay here. It's a modern hotel, so the bathroom arrangement was interestingly voyeuristic. There's a curtain dividing the bed. In my friend's suite, you can see through the glass shower from the bedroom! (see photo) So let's hope you're really comfortable with your roommate!

THE BEST
• Location. Right near a metro station. There's a nice parkette outside of the hotel.
• Customer service. Friendly and helpful staff made us feel welcomed.
• Large room. Clean and modern design.

THE GOOD
• Complimentary coffee in the lobby
• 1 free drink ticket at Bartini. Handsome and knowledgeable bartender, too!
• Wi-Fi included in our package, no fees.
• "Away Spa". Even though they were booked, they made an effort to fit our 3 appointments in last minute. Truly great customer service. But what's with all the senior citizen masseuses. Are they in a union? Ha.

THE BAD
• The club in the lobby was nice to hang out in with all the cool kids, but not great for sleeping. Deep bass still going at 3am. Le boo.
• Rainfall showerhead is nice, but no water pressure. The shower knob was almost too minimalist. Had difficulty using it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Beautiful hotel in the typical W style: dim lights, music, modern furnishings. We were upgraded to a large suite with a huge bathroom. The concierge was extremely helpful and friendly, getting us a late dinner reservation when we first arrived and providing us detailed directions on how to rent bikes.

The location is perfect, you can walk to the historic neighborhoods, including Notre Dame Cathedral. There are a ton of Bixi bike stations nearby so you can easily rent a bike for the day to explore.

The Italian restaurant in the lobby is actually delicious and was a good choice on a rainy night.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the park
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed here a few times, both on pleasure and business. It is a very contemporary hotel and I in general like this style. Rooms are large and comfortable, some of them have large semi-transparent showers. It could be a plus or a minus, your call :)
Service was always nice and friendly. I visited the bar a few times and liked tha ambiance ... it can get very busy on some nights.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business