“Nice But Could Improve”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #22 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at The W for four nights on the cash and points plan using our Starwood points. As gold members we were kindly upgraded to a beautiful room overlooking the park across the street. The staff was very friendly and promptly addressed our requests. The rooms are typically quirky in The W tradition. It was very comfortable and had to be one of the quietest rooms that I have ever stayed in. No noise – outside, air conditioning, other guests, hallway traffic. It was great.
Now the negatives. Since the rooms usually do not have a coffee maker we requested a coffee maker at the time of reservation confirmation. We received an email from The W Montreal confirming that there would be a coffee maker in the room. As you can guess, there was not one in our room. Once we asked for one, it was supplied promptly. Secondly we had agreed to the green program thinking that we would re-use towels during our stay. When we returned to the hotel at 10pm and there were still dirty coffee cups and an unmade bed, we called the front desk to ask why. We were told that the green program meant no housekeeping at all, but that they would supply additional items like coffee and bath products upon request. This was different from the green program we had experienced at the Westin in Ft. Lauderdale three months ago. So we ‘unsubscribed’ from the green program because my wife said she is not going to make the bed on her vacation, especially in such a nice hotel. She gets to do that every day at home. The next day we removed our do not disturb sign from the door and left the hotel at about 11am. Again when we returned that evening our room had not been serviced. Again we called down and was informed that our do not disturb sign was out when housekeeping came by. I have never had the experience of housekeeping not checking back later in the day. It wasn’t as if the sign was out until the afternoon. They happily sent someone up that evening to tidy up, but we did notice that the luxurious towels were replaced with your average hotel towels, which we continued to receive the rest of our stay. Finally, The W is not the only hotel to do this, but their $2 charge for local calls and $20 a day for in-room Wi-Fi just rubs me the wrong way. OK, the $40 a day for parking I can understand (we are from the NY metro area), but these other fees make the guest feel as though they are being nickel and dimed to put it nicely. Sounds more like an economy ticket on an airline. Why is it that a place like Holiday Inn doesn’t charge you for things like this, but fancier places like The W do?
Overall, it was a nice stay and the staff is very accommodating when you ask for something. But an allegedly service-oriented place like The W should not make you ask so frequently. Instead they should do what other quality establishments do and anticipate the needs of their guests.

Room Tip: Park view was nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Miamimangomike
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear that the majority of your stay with us was satisfactory.
Let me assure you that we will discuss about this incident with our talent to ensure a more efficient service in the future. It will be a pleasure to welcome you again at W Montreal.

Your W Montreal Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Followed the standard upscale service at all W's. Staff was nice and helpful. The concierge was extremely helpful and made great reco's for my desire to go to a nice french restaurant. Also helped make resi's last minute for my biz lunch! Acura car service available for 5mile radius drop. Will def come back!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here in February of 2008, but it's still memorable enough for me to write a review over five years later. I heard that the W Montreal, at the time, was rated one of, [if not] the best W hotels in the world and I believe it. There's a special sort of feeling you get as soon as you walk through the door. The decor is modern, chic and beautiful. The shower was quite large and felt as if I were standing in rain. There was only glass between the shower and room, but you can have a curtain put up if you're staying with someone you aren't too comfortable with. It's in a pretty good location with garage parking available as well. I had dinner at the restaurant here, but don't remember enough about it to review.

This is one of the more expensive places to stay in Montreal, but it's worth every Canadian penny. I still get a good sense of nostalgia just thinking about it and will definitely return again soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikos M
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Although it was not perfect in all respects and don't know if the cost per room is justified by the amenities, I am giving the hotel 5 stars because I feel I was treated very well and genuinely had a great time.
First off let me start by saying the style of the W is not "my style" and I am not hip or stylish enough to be their ideal customer.
That said although I prefer old world French charm and molding on the ceilings type of look if choosing a hotel room in Montreal, the modern theme of the room and mixture of materials was done so well that I really appreciated it. It did not change my tastes but had me thinking it was a really cool look for the 3 nights we stayed.
We stayed in a Mega room.
Room was excellent size, the open bathroom plan really made the room seem larger.
The first night I was not crazy about the bed and pillows but after a couple of nights I was in love with them and messing them now at home.
The whole bed and room have a in the clouds type of theme/design and the bed is a very fluffy white cloud. The lighting is dark but I liked the various mood lighting effects in the room, hallways and throughout the hotel itself.
While I loved the look and was excited to try out the shower for the first time, I must say I was extremely disappointed in it's function.
The shower temperature was difficult to control, the single overhead flow is in a corner making the large space inside rather useless.
In theory you could fit 6 in there but in practice 5 would be freezing with no water flow.
Having the overhead being centered above would be a big improvement, as would another head or a side flow option so you can direct water pressure rather than just getting rained on.
I felt like I was not really getting clean, just getting wet and was really a big let down.
I should mention there is a white privacy curtain in the shower, for those who want a little privacy.
The bath tub I did not try, it is extremely deep, though not that large and did not have jets so was not enticing me to jump in.
The view was great and overlooked the park in front, we were on the 5th floor and on a Saturday night I could hear the disco in the hallway, I could not hear a sound in the room itself.
The bar/disco gets packed on Saturday nights, it felt like walking into a club with doorman/bouncers not a hotel after a night out which felt a little less than ideal.
Maybe a side entrance for hotel guests during these times would make sense.
On Sunday and Monday night the 2nd floor/Mezz level disco was not open and the 1st floor Bar was open but never busy nor loud.
We had drinks on Monday night at the bar and closed the place.
Eat breakfast at Otto and it was excellent and reasonable in cost for the type of hotel the W is.
The restaurant for dinner I felt was overpriced and I think most guests did, as few were dining there.
Service throughout the hotel was excellent, only small service complaints were the concierge area was always too lightly staffed with usually only one and sometime empty desk up front.
Check-in likewise with 1 or 2 staff tended to stay very busy with demand.
The doorman were very friendly at all times. Housekeeping I never saw but they did an excellent job daily.
I was inside of a WOW suite on the top floor for a couple of hours with friends and it was very nice, not something I would pay the premium for but definitely quite a room complete with surround sound, good size balcony, 2 story windows over the park, etc...
Tip: if staying for multiple nights park in the garage under the hotel, there is access to your car from the subway hallways from the elevator and the rate is much less than valet.
Paid $58 for 3 nights for parking in the underground garage. Street entrance is behind the hotel.
I found the location to be very convenient.
You are really right on the border of old Montreal, making that area close by and easy to explore.
Since that is my favorite part of the city, I might prefer to stay more in the center of old Montreal but where the W is you are closer to the downtown (park, St. Catherine's, Bell Centre, etc..) than other areas of old Montreal would be.
There seems to be a different festival every night in downtown during the summer.
I would not stay in a downtown or by the park hotel location as you would too far from Old Montreal and as I stated I don't think any area of the city rivals old Montreal.

Wish there was a hotel pool, wanted to try the gym but never did ; when I felt like exercising the walk from the hotel up to the Mont Royal Park Chalet did the trick and was far more rewarding than any gym could be. I highly recommend that walk or jog if you are up to the challenge.
The view from the Chalet is awesome!
Wish there was free WiFi in the rooms, it did work well in the lobby but it does bug me when an expensive hotel does not offer something that is free now in cheap hotels and something most every guest desires.
That said, looking at the various high end hotels in Montreal few if any offer free in room wifi, so it part of the game all of the 4 and 5 star places play.
Overall a great stay at the W, I felt like a VIP guest and got to pretend I was hip at least for a few nights.
Think they are appealing mostly to the party type crowd but we did not feel out of place as a younger couple traveling with infant.
Another minor gripe: the main entrance lacks any type of ramp, which is inconvenient for a baby stroller or likewise any handicapped guest and seems like a design over site.

Room Tip: Park View ensures you will not have noise from the lower levels. Self park behind the hotel in the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed the W style and our location, we will share your good comments with our talents.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Your W Montreal Manager.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Pros: convenient location, just in front of the subway and close to some upscale restaurants like Toqué and Graziella; comfortable rooms; modern bathroom with large stall shower and nice bath products; quiet; efficient service. Cons: haven't experienced any over my two visits here.

Room Tip: A Cozy room is ok if you're a single traveler, but it's quite small. Opt for a Wonderful ro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank carolilas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Loved this hotel! Great location, very close to old montreal and a cute park by the river. Catherine at the front desk was very helpful. The main bar gets busy on the weekends and isn't cheap, but still worth checking out. Wish we could have stayed for another night or two.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Austin S
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a great time at the W Hotel in Montreal during the last weekend of the Jazz Festival. We've been to Montreal several times and this was one of our best stays in the city. The overall experience was great with only a few minor issues (nothing worth selecting another hotel; we would stay here again). When we first arrived, having only two people handling reservations was not enough but it was a rush check in time. A manager helped out by handing out waters and checking in with guests as they waited for rooms to get ready (keep in mind we were early so it is fine the rooms were not ready immediately). As soon as the room was all set, he let us know and brought us water and keys etc. This shows how customer service oriented this hotel is; all of the staff were exceptional and worked hard to make sure everyone was happy and having a great time. The room itself was very nice. We were on the fourth floor facing the park and never heard the disco on the first floor. I was worried about being on the fourth floor after reading some of the reviews about the noisy dance music but we never heard it. Also, the much talked about open concept of the room and specifically the open shower was really cool. The room and hotel were minimalist, almost futuristic in style but in an interesting and fashionable way. The decor, lighting etc. made it feel like a real getaway. We also enjoyed the downstairs cocktail bar, again, the minimalist and colorful decor was really cool and trendy but not in an obnoxious way at all; the W was always friendly and fun, never pretentious. As other reviewers have noted, the location of this hotel is amazing; close to the subway, Old Montreal, blocks away from the main streets and the Jazz Fest areas, and just a few blocks from entering the city. Also, if you go to the basement level with the work out room you will see a convenient door and well lit passage way to the subway. We used this several times and it was really convenient on the one day it rained. One odd thing about the room was an unusual smell in the bathroom, but we finally figured out that it was the paint, and not anything related to cleanliness, since the rooms are well maintained and clean. For some reason the paint used in the bathroom has a smell that some may be sensitive to, but not a big deal. Just pointing it out but not an issue at all. We really loved our stay at the W and would definitely go again. We considered this a real getaway and even used the AwaySpa, which was really great and relaxing. So definitely go and treat yourself to a first class experience. If you have AAA you can find a great rate online. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: upper-level room (4th floor was fine) with a view facing the park (or front of hotel)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYTraveler273

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments; it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoyed themselves during their travels. We do have great deals for AAA members and it’s always good to check our offers.
We will be pleased to welcome you again!

Your W Montreal Manager