“Very good hotel all around. Not great though”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #20 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Very good hotel all around. Not great though”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked this place for me and my girlfriends anniversary. I was quite excited because this is the first W hotel i've stayed at and I heard good things about the brand in general. The overall atmosphere of the hotel was quite nice. Very trendy looking. The room itself was quite spectacular especially they way they had the shower set up. Looked great. The view from our room was non existent. That could have definitely used an improvement. I stayed in a Mega room.

Location was relatively good too. I think the sheraton was in a better location (bars and nightlife stuff) but the W was good as well. We rented a car which was necessary because we wanted to go to Mont Royal plateau area to do some shopping. We also drove to old montreal area although we could have walked it.

I think parking is $35 per night which is quite steep but we ended up parking at the staples 3 minutes away. We had to move our car by 10am though. If was advised not to leave anything of value because people may break in. I took the risk and everything was ok.

Service was exceptional. They said yes to all requests and everyone was friendly. No complaints and definitely up to the standards of a hotel of this quality.

I probably would not go back here unless it was a special occassion though seeing as price was higher then what I would have paid. I mean the room was good but not WOW amazing worth every penny good.

Room Tip: Don't expect any view from the courtyard view rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing the W Montréal for this special occasion. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your time with us.
It is unfortunate that you had to rent a car, since the hotel is situated steps away from Old Montréal and Downtown. It is also conveniently connected to the extensive Underground City as well as the Square Victoria Subway Station which allows quick and easy trips to Montréal’s most popular places.

We hope to welcome you back in the future for another special occasion.
Your W Montréal’s Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Nice and trendy design, good bar, usually without life. Get the rooms on the last floor as they have a 2-story window, mezzanine, and balcony.
The hotel's club attracts the worse of hip-hop suburbs, drunken violence seems frequent. Try at your own risk.

Room Tip: rooms on the last floor as they have a 2-story window, mezzanine, and balcony.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Noctanet
Dear Noctanet,

Thank you for reviewing W Montréal! We are surprised to hear about your experience and we are sincerely sorry about this incidence. We try to keep a pleasant and violence-free atmosphere in our clubs. You might have experienced an isolated event.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope to welcome you back to restaure your faith in our clubs.

Warmly,
Your W Montréal’s Manager.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Like all W's the W Montreal is heavy on the hip factor. The thing that set this one apart was the service, every single person was incredibly helpful and cheery. I noticed this tended to be be the case around Montreal so perhaps it is a great characteristic of the people here, but the workers at the W were truly great.

The rooms were incredibly huge, we did have a "suite night" upgrade from Starwood but the room was really big and comfy. Some people may be turned off by the open concept bathroom (sinks, tub, and shower only - dont worry) but for a couple it is not an issue. Good atmosphere and fun bars make this a very good hotel.

Location is great for sightseeing downtown and is in a safe location.

Dear Michael,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we are delighted to hear you had great time here!
We will share your comments with the rest of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Cantley, Qc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

After looking for a great room for a special occasion in Montreal, I decided to go with the W.
I had stayed in the W in Fort Lauderdale, and this was the style of hotel that I wanted.

After shelling out around $350 for a Mega room, I was expecting perfection.

Of course this hotel is trendy, service is perfect and it’s in a great location. And of course, the room is nicely decorated and designed. But it did show it’s age, had specs of wear and tear that I found hard to overlook. Also, even at that price, we didn’t get a room with view (Which I knew when I booked). But the courtyard view, which I thought would be cool and that we could see something happening around, was more of a “wall” view.

I had planned this as a surprise for my hubby’s birthday, so he hadn’t seen the room online. He loved the feel and bathroom, but felt we overspent as well, especially considering the view.

I would recommend this hotel, if you get a good deal or are not concerned about budget and are aware it's not new.

Room Tip: High floor
Dear Valerie,
Thank you for choosing W Montréal to celebrate the occasion!
We will undergo extensive room renovation at the end of 2013 which will give a new look and feel to our rooms.
Please send our Birthday wishes to your husband!
Your W Montréal’s Manager.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Summary: one of the nicer W hotels I think: not as crazy, nor does it try to be" too cool", unlike some W locations. Based on the central location, excellent staff service and gorgeous restaurant food, I will likely stay here on my next trip to Montreal (I usually stay at Le Germain but the W has it beat!)

Location: centrally located, a short walk from Chinatown and other neigbourhoods.

Service: the hotel restaurant was closed for refurbishment my first day at the hotel, but the hotel staff were extremely helpful, recommending another establishment for a nice breakfast and even driving me there! And each time I walked past a member of staff or asked for help on the Whatever/Whenever line, they were courteous, friendly and helpful. I will definitely return to this hotel!

Amenities: complimentary teas/coffees in reception until 11am was muchly appreciated! Usual Bliss toiletries in bathroom. I didn't used the gym, spa or bar, unfortunately. I DID order room service for dinner one night and was pleasantly surprised at how delicious the food was - the veal meatballs and black cod were divine!

Room: I was in a Wonderful Room facing the back of the hotel, no view whatsoever but I didn't mind as I wanted peace and quiet, which I thankfully got! Doing reading/work in the room wasn't the best, the lighting was very poor - part of the ambience of the hotel. But if you're here for a holiday I don't suppose that would bother you! The bathroom was spacious and separate to the rest of the room (some W's have open plan bathrooms) but there was only a glass wall between the shower and the room, so good luck to anyone sharing with someone who isn't a partner! Not an issue however when you're on your own, which I was.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review!
It is nice to hear you appreciated the in-room-dining from our OTTO restaurant as well as the team’s attentions and recommendations.
Providing our guests a great experience is at our top priorities and hearing feedback like yours truly validates what we do here!
We will gladly share these comments with the rest of the team.

We definitely look to welcoming you back during your next stay in Montréal!
All the best,
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I original thought I would be writing a negative review due to one of the agents on the phone....my husband booked a mega room with a parkview for our wedding anniversary, the confirmation was to be emailed to him. A few days later he called to find out if they had any rooms with balconies. They didnt have our reservation on file and the room was now almost $100.00 more. When my husband asked why the big change in price the girl on the line said "if its too expensive for you go to a cheaper hotel". My husband was outraged and hung up on her. He later booked the room from thier sight at lower than the original booking.

We arrived at the hotel at 4:30PM, check in is at 3:00. Our room was not ready....not a good start. My husband at this point was a little upset with yet another problem at the W. He mentioned the incident and the fact that it was our anniversary. Raphael at the front desk was very embarrassed by the treatment he had gotten on the phone by the agent and by the unexpected delay in having our room ready.

He really made up for the rudeness and delay by offering us complimentary drinks at the Pleateau bar and by upgrading us to a 2 floor suite. Raphael was very professional and did everything he could to make our special stay at the hotel even better.

The suite they gave us overlooked the park. It had a wonderful large balcony. A fantastic view of the city. The living area was large with a very functional desk area, a large TV, a powder room on the lower floor.The bedroom area was on the 2nd floor (mezzanine). You could see the beautiful view from the bed as the windows went up the two floors. The shower was very large and you could still see the city while showering. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. Although at about 4:30 AM we did hear some commotion from the hallway that woke us up, but it was short lived and quickly fell asleep again.

The valet service was very quick and the attendants very polite and helpful. The service at the Plateau bar was also very quick and pleasant.

Other than our first experience with the W agent on the phone who was rude we were very pleased that the staff at the hotel last Saterday were extremely helpful, polite and did everything they could to make our stay a memorable one. A special thanks again to Raphael who was ausome!!

Room Tip: A parkview is awsome.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Silvie,

Your feedback is very important for us and we really appreciate you take the time to review the hotel.
We are deeply confused and sorry to hear about your experience with the reservation agent. We will certainly review the overall performance of this service to ensure we are able to provide the best service possible moving forward. Your satisfaction is our top priority and it is nice to hear that you were pleased with Raphael’s special attentions. We will pass along your good comments to him and the rest of the team.

Hoping to welcome you back in the future, happy anniversary from the entire team!

All the best,
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Amazing hotel in the perfect location steps away from Old Montreal. Staff were very helpful, restaurant was amazing and the room was perfect as you would expect from a W. Overall a great experience and worth the price tag.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for your kind comments! We will definetly spread the word to our team.
Hope to welcome you back!

Your W Montréal’s Manager