“Trendy, full-service hotel with unconventional rooms”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #23 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Organizing a long weekend for a couple of New York-based friends, I picked the W Montreal for it's location and somewhat modern, trendy decor (versus the non-descript chains or smaller B&B boutique hotels). It didn't hurt that that the W were running a promotion that brought their prices inline with other nearby hotels and included free cocktails with the stay.

The location is perfect: directly connected to the Metro (which makes trips to the Plateau and Mont-Royal a 15 minute ride), a short 5 minute walk to Old Montreal, and just a block away from the STM 747 airport bus. Moreover, there's a Bixi bike rack in the square across from the hotel, which makes it convenient to bike everywhere.

The staff were friendly and helpful and overall, the stay was uneventful. We had booked two rooms and on arrival, only the Mega Room (with two queen beds) was available. The staff explained the benefits of SPG Gold and internet was comped for the stay (otherwise, it would have been $29 for two days), as well as late check-out offered (and accepted). The second room (with a king bed) became available several hours after they had promised, but in the end was an upgraded room overlooking the square (versus atrium) and featured an exposed rainfall shower.

The Mega Room room I had booked was also unconventional, although very spacious. Located on the top floor (the 10th), the highlight of the room was an exposed bath tub and sink area, along with the two queen beds, chaise, desk, and wardrobe. A separate see-through shower room (with curtain) and small bathroom were also attached to the open bathroom area. The bath area could be closed off with a curtain, but there was an opening on the side which provided full viewing into the bathroom area and made it less desirable to use the bath. With a bit of creative timing and willingness to avoid roaming around the room, we were able to go about our business without it being too awkward but for those who want privacy, you're best to stay away from the W.

As expected, the room featured the standard W elements: stereo with iPod dock, safe, ironing board and iron, minibar, and Bliss products. The only two disappointments with the room was that it overlooked the roof of the atrium (providing an obstructed view) and that housekeeping was near non-existant: bathroom products weren't refilled, ironing board wasn't put away, and it looked like they had just done a cursory tidying.

Returning Saturday night at 2:30 am, the attached night club was happening and could be heard by our friend on the 8th floor. Our floor, while having a bachelorette party in the nearby suite, was quiet and overall we all had restful nights. Sunday night, the hotel felt dead and void of any club-ish vibe, which suited our tastes. We did have a couple of drinks at Bartini, their small lobby bar, but otherwise visited Montreal.

The fitness center is small and located far in the basement. If the weather is good, I'd recommend heading down to the canal and making a loop to Atwater market and back (approx. 5 miles). Otherwise, there was also a tiny business center, attached restaurant, and a more inviting lounge on the second floor.

All in all, I was happy to have chosen the W Montreal. It wasn't as nice as the W Santiago, but is also an older property that is apparently to undergo renovations in 2013. Furnishings were inline with North American W hotels, and while trendy, did show their age. That said, for a more modern and trendy place, it's definitely a good option ... and you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to avoid noise from the night club, and consider splurging to have a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty to our SPG program and for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience with W Montréal.
It is nice to hear that you and your friends appreciated their stay. Effectively, we will undergo extensive room renovations in 2013.
We hope to welcome you and your friends back in the near future.

Your W Montréal’s Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,499)

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I read the reviews, and was prepared for some of the features, but not others. I requested a room near the top to avoid any noise from the nightclub, so that was not an issue at all. The staff was very friendly, the concierge helpful, and overall pleasant, but I was not at all in love with the hotel. It was dark, all the time, and the dim lights and neon flashing accents all day were odd to me. I guess I didn't read about this. The rooms are small, or at least mine was, and the dark carpet and furniture was not welcoming. I felt like it was dingy. The bathroom floors had lot's of chips in it, and I would rate the cleanliness about average. There was a heavy faux fur blanket and pillow on the bed that I immediately threw off as it looked unappealing. Also, the duvet is not in a duvet cover, but housed between two flat sheets. Odd, as the duvet kept coming out and that sort of grossed me out as well. I was prepared for the see through shower, but as a women and with a small child, the rain shower only option made it hard to shower and not get our hair wet. I would not stay here again just because I did not like this property at all. It is a few blocks from Old Montreal and near the Metro, but I am truly surprised at the high ratings of this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher level to avoid street/club traffic.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments have been taken into consideration. We will address some of your concerns when we undergo extensive renovations in 2013.

Hope we get the chance to welcome you back!
Your W Montréal’s Manager.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We loved the ambience of this hotel. Dimly lit, beautiful art, gorgeous back lit artistic backdrops, stunning lounge, plush decor, very cozy all around. Loved it !
Great location close to shops/restaurants in Old Montreal. There is a downfall of not having free internet. I would be fab to have free internet in all hotels these days. It makes a wonderful difference to have free internet as a beautiful/easy to use/easily accessible perk.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne K
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just last week I was with my familiy on a "week tour" around Quebec area. First 2 nights in Montreal we slept in W, just to relax. Lobby is quite dark, staff friendly. I was expecting larger room, but it was comfortable anyway... The minuses are - no free wireless in rooms ( I suppose that should be a normal thing by now); - parking could be cheaper, 30 CAD per night;
Otherwise nice, trendy hotel, would recommend;

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review W Montréal.
It is nice to hear that your overall experience with us was a pleasant one. Your feedback is important to us and we will consider your comments concerning wireless rates. Hopefully we will be welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at the W Montreal and they continue to do a great job. We loved our "Fantastic Suite" and they have done a great job keeping the hotel in top form. The location of the hotel is perfect, with easy access to all parts of the city. The best thing about the hotel is the friendly service. The doorman, front desk, room service and housekeeping staff are very friendly and helpful. Everyone made our 5 year old feel right at home. We will definitely stay at the W Montreal again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty and for reviewing your stay.
It is nice to hear that you had a great time and that our team made the difference.
Hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here. It's close to the conference centre and I would rather be here than at the Intercontinental or Westin. I just LOVE this hotel - it is sexy and dark and smells good - and it makes ME feel sexy and dark....My only regret is an early morning flight so I could not linger in the most comfortable bed and INCREDIBLE pillows. But.. this hotel may not work for families, strangers sharing a room (open bathroom), or older people who don't like sexy or dark! But I'll be back.....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I took an unanticipated detour on vacation and adopted a dog north of Montreal. We had stayed at W Montreal before and enjoyed it, but our stay this time was off the charts. Now having a dog with us, we were prepared for a less than gracious reception despite the dog-friendly hotel policy. The staff was not only welcoming to us and our new dog, but they gave her an "adoption" present, went out of their way to offer her bottled water and treats, remembered her name and, in general, couldn't have been nicer. The W is filled with the young, the hip, and the attractive--it is also filled with dog lovers like us. I won't think of staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at W Montréal.
While offering our guests a great time is at our top priorities, we would do anything for their four-legged friends. We are glad that you and your companion had a memorable stay. Plus, staying at the W Montréal with your furry friend makes a difference as the hotel donates CAD $5 to the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) for each visit.
We look forward to welcoming you and your dog back in the future,