“Average service & food”

Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Montreal, Canada
“Average service & food”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We were seated close to the window, with a very bad isolation in a freezing December, so basically the only thing we were interested to finish and get out asap.
I found the meal cold, the meat a bit smelly and desert extremely poor... Coffee certainly not fresh.

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
Ontario
“Pleasant service and food, flat beer”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We were directed here by the hotel concierge. We were looking for a fast, casual and warm restaurant after a long day of traveling and that's what we got. We arrived at around 6:30 on a night where everything was busy in the area due to the Habs/Leafs game. Restaurant crowds were breaking up to head to the game, and things were a little hectic, but we were seated quickly, and our food was served promptly.

I had the carrot ginger soup followed by a seafood casserole and my two companions had seafood crepes and a chicken/cheese crepe respectively. My soup was tasty, but the casserole was mostly cheese with a few small scallops and shrimp. After eating the scallops, shrimp and mushrooms from the dish, and after using some of ithe cheese and the sauce on the accompanying fairly plain rice, I was still left with over a third of the casserole dish full of melted cheese. The food was more copious than tasty, but my companions were satisfied with their warm dishes on a cold night. The Leff Blonde beer on tap was flat, probably because they don't get many orders for that light beer on a cold night. The total tab for two beers, one Calvet cab, 3 mains and a soup was $86. It was convenient, quick and warm on a cold night, but I don't think I'd go back.--interesting note, the restaurant seems to be part of an old opera house.

• Visited November 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Expensive and bad food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I went there for lunch but was truly disappointed.

I had the "pasta of the day" which was just dry pasta, cooked canned tuna (a grey piece of dry stuff) and cream. Not fresh and flavourless, it was too expensive for that sad sad plate.

Honestly, I rather eat anything else than what they served me.

• Visited November 2013
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Fine food, good beer”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you are looking for a restaurant / bar serving straightforward food and good beer in Montreal, you can't go wrong with the Cafe Republique. It was close to my hotel and near to the main shopping area. The service was good, the food appetising (I had chicken with an 'Asiatic' glaze and stir-fry vegetables on a bed of noodles), the service efficient and friendly and, as I mentioned earlier, a reasonable selection of beers on-tap.

• Visited October 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“one of many cafe's in the area - worth a stop”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

At lunch time in this area of Montreal just about all cafe's are full with the lunch crowds from local offices. We managed a nice table by the open window on a sunny day overlooking the trees in the park across the street.
Not being hungry we simply had soup - which was very good, with fresh bread rolls,
We lingered over an espresso and were not rushed at all...nice.
$20 CAD for two.