“Great food but horrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Maison Tataki - CLOSED

Maison Tataki
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Neighborhood: The Village (Gay Village)
“Great food but horrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I went with a few other people to this restaurant today.

The food was very tasty. Miso soup was great, sashimi salad was a bit sour for my tastes but still good. The sushi dishes were tasty as well. I wouldn't be able to tell you which specifically were better because I wasn't really told which one was which when they were brought out to the table. I think the last dish was called Ciel de mer which looked really really nice and exquisite and was pretty tasty.

Price wise, I found that it was pretty expensive considering the portions. I know it's a tapas style restaurant but for 4 pieces of sushi the price was equivalent to an expensive 8 piece roll from any other sushi place.

Service was bad. Our waiter seemed to be in a bad mood for some reason and was pretty standoffish. When he brought the dishes he didn't say which dish was which and wasn't sure who ordered the dishes. That was weird because he took our orders not ten minutes before. The bad service pretty much ruined the whole experience for me.

I don't think I'll be coming back to this place, nor recommending it to others.

• Visited February 2014

Laval, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Groupon disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We got this supposed deal online through Groupon. The ad looked real nice and fancy. We get there and it was quite plain looking and not that clean. The portions were really small and prices are way to high for the portion. The 12.99 octupus was basically sample sized, overcooked, rather burnt, and tasteless, served on a bed of raw onions..... The service was amateur, so was the food. Never again!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank LianaKhoshbekyan007
Montreal
“Excellent price-quality ratio!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

You must try this fairly-new Japanese restaurant in Montreal. The "menu dégustation" is exquisite. They will take into consideration the things you don't eat before preparing the menu. Everything is very fresh and extremely tasteful. Beautiful presentation in every dish.

• Visited December 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

the food is excellent, the taste is similar to we have in Japan, especially the salmon dish, my husband and i are very surprised about that, however, service needs to be improved, waiters look young and less experienced. In short, we will go back next time for the food.

• Visited November 2013
Montreal, Canada
“FAIL”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

The item with the best value on the menu is the wakame salad, tasty but not mind-blowing. I asked to order the tataki tilapia but the waitress warned me that it was a small portion and that I should get something else instead. I then went with the teriyaki steak. She asked if I wanted rice with it and I said yes.

My boyfriend had the cold tofu with dry seaweed and bonito flakes, which we thought tasted weird, but that may just be because it is not something we are familiar with. When his main dish came, the Étoile de mer, he didn't even realized that it was his supper because it was such a tiny portion. 4 potato chip cut deep fried yam sliced topped with a tablespoon of pollock salad: tasty, yes, but for 8,99$, you should have 12 of them. The dish probably cost them 25 cents to prepare. As for the steak, if you are going to be served such a small portion for 12,99$, you should at least get better quality meat. It was tough. Served over a bed of bean sprouts and random vegetables. We could hear a cook sneeze and spit in the kitchen and we found a hair in our dish. Couldn't finish it because we were disgusted. Rice was charged as an extra, which we weren't told. Definetely not an experience worth 40$.
Maybe music that doesn't make you feel like you're at a shopping mall would be better as well.

• Visited October 2013