“Small and sugary”
Review of Bar a Beurre

Bar a Beurre
Ranked #4 of 64 Coffee & Tea in Montreal
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Montreal, Canada
“Small and sugary”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I had purchased a coupon for high tea and made a reservation as per the coupon. When we arrived a customer had taken out reserved table and would not give it up- the staff were very lovely and not only gave us high tea on the house but allowed us to order what ever we wanted while we waited.
The high tea was good, more sugary sweet than savory. Lovely little place in the old port, if you are near it and have a sweet tooth, check it out.

Visited February 2014

Montreal
“Does not honor groupon”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Got the Groupon since I figure I would try out their macarons. It was stated on the Groupon that it was for pastry and bakery goods. The lady told me no you can't have macarons with your Groupon with no further explanations when I was standing there in person with my Groupon in hand. Last time I checked macarons are part of pastry and bakery goods. Waste of time and energy. Won't be going back. If you put up a Groupon, honor it, or just don't put one up.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank S385
Montreal
“Ok”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The place is nicely decorated. It's small but cozy and it sells some interesting items. I got some pastries and drinks.

The drinks: I got mint iced tea. It did not taste minty at all. It was just like having weak and cold tea. My friend got raspberry lemonade which had no lemon flavour. So it's a fail for the drinks.

The pastries: I'd heard that the Beurreo (which is a twist on an Oreo cookie) was a must. So I ordered it along with some other pastries to bring to a friend. The icing in the Beurreo was good; buttery as expected. The problem are the cookies. The two cookies are too tick. Hence the ratio cookie vs icing is not well proportioned. Since the cookies do not have a great taste to them, the treat ends up not tasting that good. I actually removed one of the cookies and it was better. The other pastries were ok, but the girl did not get my roder correctly. Of course, I only saw it when I opened the box at my friend's house.

I'm glad I tried it but I will not be going back. I love desserts but they have to be worth the calories... and the money. I really wanted to love it because it looked so good!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank supernovea
canada
“exquisite treats”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Some of the best treats in Montreal. baked daily and fresh. cozy little place in Old Montreal. Family own business that will make you feel welcomed.
cheers!!!

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank DJqc
Montreal, Canada
“Not bad but would not go back”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was there for afternoon tea with 4 of my friends. Tea was really good, but was not impressed with the selection of pastry bites.

Everything seemed overly sugary. I know they were macaroons & cupcakes, but just seemed like you could feel the grains of sugar in between your teeth. The peach & chocolate dough balls were not good either (not one of the 5 girls liked them).

Service was ordinary as well. The girl working there did not smile once and definitely seemed like she would have liked to be elsewhere that day. She was not rude or anything, just not welcoming at all.

Apart from that I would say the ambiance was good. Music was good and it is a small and cozy place.

Like I said, it was ok, but I would not go back.

• Visited March 2014