“Best turkish-ottoman cuisine”

Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best turkish-ottoman cuisine”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I ate at all the turkish restaurant in NY. This is the best turkish restaurant in north america. The two sister owners, one architect the other sculptor, offer an authentic culinary experience in a cozy setting for a very reasonable price.

1 Thank Emile2013

Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent turkish-ottoman food, good price”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I ate at all the turkish restaurants in NY. This is the best turkish restaurant i've been to in north america. The two sister owners, one architect and the other sculptor, offer an authentic culinary experience in a cozy setting for a very reasonable price.

1 Thank Elimk
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent example of Ottoman/Turkish cuisine”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

You should try Sefa if you are interested in Ottoman cuisine. Their talented and young chef is creating amazing dishes.

2 Thank aysegul_gul
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely restaurant!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've never had authentic Turkish food before, and it's my second time in MTL and i absolutely loved this place! I had the Kuzu Kapama as a main course and shared an appetizer with my friend (the feta cheese-stuffed Phyllo)...VERY DELICIOUS! and the hostess was very hospitable and knowledgeable, above all, definitely proud of her Turkish heritage and cuisine. The food was flavorful and very filling though the plate may look small, not heavy at all and not oily at all!
Also, we learned few things about Turkey and its food so that was also a plus :) Make sure you check this place out, try the above plate and appetizer and don't forget the Sefa Serbot drink!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Su_1307
Montreal, Canada
“The best Instanbul flavours in Montreal”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Before you read this review: you have to understand that this place is newly opened and that therefore some things should improve over time. But this is very promising and it is the definitely the best Turkish restaurant in Montreal (it definitly beats Su in Verdun). But I have to admit that I had better Turkish food in the NYC area, were the turkish community is bigger than here.

This is a really nice restaurant, with attentive service in a simple yet comfortable and sophisticated decor with tasteful Turkish touches. Being fairly newly opened the place was empty when we got in, so the atmosphere could have been livelier. But later customers came in and it did help to create a more pleasant atmosphere.

They greeted us with a glass of Sefa Serbet, a mix of rose water and honey - delicious and refreshing, bread and plates of mezze: marinated vegetables, a fine tomato salsa and yogurt.
We were 3 adults and 3 children and decided to order several appetizers and 3 main courses to share. The appetizers cost us between 8 and 12$ a plate. We ordered 1 order of Su Böreği (phylo pastry filled with feta cheese and parsley, they could have been served more hot and crispy, but were still very tasteful). 1 order of Saray Izgara: a mix of grilled haloumi cheese and soujouk, very good but the portion was ridiculously small for the price charged. 2 orders of manti: meat stuffed ravioli with a yogurt sauce. The waitress explained that they had a lady who made those ravioli for them over at her house. By the delicate look of them I can imagine how much work and skills are involved in their making. They were delicious but it's a shame they were too cold when they arrived at our table. We also had the best vegetarian stuffed grape leaved ever: Yaprak Sarma. Delicately hand rolled with a hint of mint. Really delicious and I'll be craving for more very soon.
As for the main courses their price were way too expensive for what we got. We had Kuzu Tandır, supposedly roasted lamb shoulder and rice Pilaf: the meat was tender but was bland and it felt like the meat had been braised in water more than roasted. It was served simply with herbed rice and that's it. I'm not sure there was 100g (3 ounces) of meat, and there were no vegetables in the plate, this was really a downer. Our second plate was Hünkar Beğendi which literally means the sultan liked it. It was a delicious but very small portion of lamb cubes served over pureed eggplant. Delicious but then the price that was asked was way too expensive (25,75$) considering the ingredients, the work involved, the size of the portion and the presentation. Finally, we had their Karnıyarık at 16,50$: delicious but I'll let you decide on the value of this dish: one small italian eggplant, cut in 2 halves and then stuffed with ground beef. It was served with yogurt and rice.
The owner offered us tea on the house, but I was exhausted that night and decided to head home instead.

I will definitely be craving their mantis soon, but I'll make sure that they are served much warmer that the first time.

• Visited April 2013