“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mille et un Couscous - 1001 Couscous - CLOSED

Mille et un Couscous - 1001 Couscous
Cuisines: Moroccan, Mediterranean
Neighborhood: The Village (Gay Village)
Neighborhood: The Village (Gay Village)
Montreal
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was the most awful dining experience we ever had in Montreal. Salads - I think they prepare them in the morning (or the day before?) - imagine the taste of the vegetables. Our waiter recommended to start with Brick. What is brick - imagine scrambled eggs, fillo pastry and a lot (I mean it - a LOT) of oil. But we let that pass as we were anticipating tajins. The portions are small, but probably it's good since we couldn't finish it anyway. We were two couples looking at each other when every one of us tried to chew on his/her piece of meat. No, meat in tajin cooked for couple of hours - it should be tender, right? It's what I thought. You are wrong, you can buy a piece of meat that will not be possible to eat no meter how long it was in the oven and this was the case. We had different tajins, so it's not just one miss that somehow happened. And by the way dried fruits that were supposed to be in one of the tajins - we never found any. My advise - don't even try it. If you are up to tajin or couscous - there are a lot of nice places in Montreal.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ITaveler

Montreal, Canada
“Authentic Tunisian Food!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just got back from eating there! This little place is located on the busy St Catherine of Downtown Montreal. I love it when i stumble on such serendipitous little eats here in this vibrant city. I went with no expectations and was amazed by the flavourful oriental foods. I am arab myself, so couscous wasn't a new experience, nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed my Couscous Royal. Service was above average, staff was very kind.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“not worth the value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We bought a coupon from groupon to here. The restaurant is small, middle east style, but looks cheap like a fast foods place. The waiters are very nice. We order one seafood salade and two royal couscous and tea. The seafood salad is the worst i have ever had in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only few pieces of strawberry and tomatos with some green leaves and countable small tiny shrimps:((((((((( It costs me $11!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!! And the couscous looks soso with no taste, but maybe i am not used to this taste. I have tried so many middle east foods in other restaurants and i love them so much. The original price for royal couscous is $18, totally not worth the value. Never go again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent Tunisian Food- A Rare Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We purchased a Groupon certificate (otherwise we would have never found this gem) and visited this small, but intimate restaurant in the Gay Village area of Montreal's downtown. We were greeted by the owner Seima (a Tunisian gentleman who has recently purchased this restaurant after having immigrated from Brussels to Montreal). He was formerly a head chef at a very high end restaurant in Brussels and intends to turn this small cousouss/tajines restaurant (currently) into a culinary gourmet dining restaurant with more elegant and intricate food choices. Entrees allowed with the Groupon certificate were a choice of one of two salads Tunisienne or Mechaouia, both excellent, fresh and very savoury. The latter salad is spicier but Seima was kind enough to put the dressing on the side for me. Fresh warm bread was supplied and we tried his single choice of Tunisian wine (he is working on getting a wider and more vibrant selection of wines in), but his selection was both well priced and a great choice with our meals. ( not part of the Groupon offerings- this was extra)

For our main meals (two couples and we shared) we ordered 1 Chicken Couscous, 1 Chicken & Merguez, 1 Chicken Trajine with preserved lemon and 1 Lamb roasted Tajine with prunes. All meals were served hot and at the same time and considering that the owner is the only one serving, cooking, clearing up and welcoming people into his restaurant, the 20 minute wait was well worth it and not long at all. All the meals were savoury, well spiced, fresh and flavorful. The stand out dishes in this reviewer's mind were the Lamb roasted Tajine and the Chicken Trajine with Lemon. For dessert we had a quarter piece of Baklava which was not too sweet and a perfect finish to the evening. The MInt/almond tea was a fabulous to help digest the meal.

The food quality stood out, the owner was not only helpful, but very entertaining and truly made our dining experience memorable and pleasant. He has promised to keep us appraised of when he will be offering Mediterranean cooking classes in the future and we will attend.

It is refreshing to see how one man's understanding of the word Service and his Love for Food can have such an impact on an evening, that we all underestimated looking into this small hidden away gem from the exterior.

I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013