“New name - Restaurant Soupe Obatala - same great taste”
Review of Soupe Soupe

Soupe Soupe
Ranked #793 of 6,712 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Reviewed May 13, 2019

The Soupesoup chain recently closed, but this location — a franchise — remains open with essentially the same concept and menus, but with a new name: Restaurant Soupe Obatala.

We have visited twice since the change and can report that it is still as good as it was: soups, sandwiches, salads, desserts etc.

(Bookings are available for groups of 8 and more.)

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed July 23, 2018

We went looking for somewhere to have a yummy salad. This was definitely the place. It was amazing and the man working behind the counter was very helpful!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed April 24, 2018

I had a Grilled-cheese purée d’herbes sandwich here, it was wonderful. I think I will apply for a job here.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

We stopped into this restaurant for a late lunch as we craved soup and a sandwich. We were so glad that we did!
The interior is attractive, vaguely bohemian, with small tables and a long attractive bar behind which the servers (baristas?) prepare their delicious creations.
The menu changes frequently, so it is displayed on a big blackboard. There are three categories : Soups, sandwiches and salads and about five or six choices in each category. One can mix and match - soup + sandwich, soup + salad etc. One can also choose quantity. Soups come in small, medium or large sizes and many sandwiches come in half or whole.
We both decided on the Grilled Cheese De Luxe. It came with an excellent nippy old cheddar (I suspect a local Quebecois cheese), grilled tomatoes and hand cut ham - soooo good! Really an exceptional sandwich.
My husband ordered the chili. Our server (who was a wealth of knowledge, friendly, and attentive) warned him that it was not a hearty chili, but more like a chili soup, but that was exactly what my husband wanted and he really enjoyed it.
I ordered the “La Dune” soup which was made with cream, turnips, green apples, and Madras curry. I’m not a turnip fan but thought this sounded like a tasty combination. It was divine and it made a magical combination with the grilled cheese sandwich.
By this time we were completely smitten with this restaurant so we decided to try the desserts and their lattes. We had expected our lattes to come in large bowl cups but they came in tiny little cups - the sort I would expect a cappuccino to come in. However the taste was superb.
Now we come to the piece de resistance - the pouding chomeur! I looked it up - this translates as “poor man’s dessert” but it is what I have always called an upside-down cake - a hot cake with sauce. This was made with apples and maple syrup and every bite was a taste of heaven. My husband and I had opted to share a dessert, but this had us both scraping the sides of the bowl to get every last taste!
All in all, a restaurant that we will head straight for every time we are back in Montreal. I suspect we may end up going there for breakfast tomorrow!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed September 13, 2017

A wide selection of soups in various size, sandwiches and pastries. Good coffee. It's a small place, one looks at the menu on the wide board (it`s easy to read as it is a big one).

You order at the counter. Table Service is friendly.
Good food.