“I don't even really like fish & chips but........”
Review of Comptoir 21 - CLOSED

Comptoir 21
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: The Village (Gay Village)
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Fish & chips is never my first choice for a meal. But one night in Jan on my way to another place it was so cold I stopped in here instead. What a nice surprise. The place was spotless & they were playing the oddest selection of music ever. Talking Heads and the Monkees come to mind. So far so good, the service was friendly, not overly friendly, also a good thing.
The fish was light, fresh and crispy and a lot of the customers seem to be regulars. There was a good neighbour hood feeling to the place and the obvious repeat business made me feel like I made a good choice. I have been two or three times since and it has been consistently good. I do not seem to recall it being expensive and you can pay with debit or credit.

1  Thank drhackenabush

Reviewed April 1, 2014

fish is what you get here. To date there are two locations with a third in the works. A friend had tried and raved about the first on St. Viateur so we decided to try this location. It was a Sunday night and quite quiet. We ordered the "petit" size of fish and my friend also had the chips. I had the clam chowder which was excellent and had just clams and the soup. It was not full of potato. As it happened they brought the fish before I had finished my soup, so the manager, re-ordered my fish. That is good service. Wine is served in tumblers, Greek style. Beer is available on tap as well. The fish is cod, and really fresh. Probably the large with three pieces and the fries would be good for sharing. The Batter is crisp and oil free. With two large pieces of fish the "petit" is plenty for a normal appetite. It was as good as I used to get in Britain before they started to use frozen fish in batter. Apparently they will have a patio in the summer. Parking in both locations will be a problem in the summer, but still worth the effort. I believe they have take-away. As we left, we spoke with a group of regulars who said they lived in the area, which is full of restaurants. They said they were there at least twice weekly. One sits on a barstool which could use a back. More coat racks would be good as well. Otherwise most clients would sit at a counter of laminated wood and look at a brick wall. a mirror would help. There are other things on the menu with even burgers for meat eaters. However, we did not try these.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I've been to his restaurant since it first opened, I've always loved it. I still do.
How can you go wrong? Fish and chips and Clam chowder.
There's not much room around the counter and they dont take reservations, so sitting is a hit and miss. Thats fine, you can't blame them, the fact that it's small is was makes it fun too.
The food is excellent, always fresh, the chowder is awesome. Try it!
The fish portions are large, the fries are homecut with the skin... excellent!
Everyone's human, and the last time I was there, the waitress must have been having a bad day, she never asked me if I wanted a drink, and she forgot my clam chowder... I was a little disappointed. But that was one time in the countless times I've been there. I still ate well and the value is top! You get a lot for your money and its yummy!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

After a long day at the bio-dome, we decided to get some fish and chips. The place is really cute and clean and service was the best we received throughout the entire trip.

We ordered a large fish and chips with clam chowder. Service was prompt and our waitress was so sweet. Being indecisive people, we couldn't make up our minds what sauces to try with our fries. Our waitress offered us a sample of all the sauces and brought out every single offer. Even now I can't decide whether the Thai, the curry, jalapeno, herbs or paprika was good. The slaw included was refreshing and a great palate cleanser for all the fried food.

Only critiques are I wish they seasoned their batter and the batter actually stayed on the fish.

All in all, it was a great lunch for the price.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Based on the recommendation of a foodie local, I dropped into this location for a late Sunday lunch. I ordered a small portion of fish with Poutine as the side. Fries and salad were also options for sides. Battered shrimp, Cod croquettes, burgers and veggie burgers were other main course options. They had a small terrace outside and it is all counter seating inside (hence the name "Comptoir").

The poutine was great. The sauce was as rich and delicious as previous sauces I have had made with meat and I would say that it tasted even fresher and better. The fish was light and flaky and the tartar sauce and slaw that came with it were DELICIOUS.

The service was excellent. There were few other customers since it was mid afternoon Sunday and it was very hot so I had a nice conversation with the very personable waiter.

It was good value for the money as well. I had a very filling lunch with a drink and got out for under $20 including taxes and tip.

All in all a very pleasant experience.