“a very cozy and fun place to spend the evening”
Review of Gracia Afrika

Gracia Afrika
Ranked #1,315 of 6,223 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Reviewed October 3, 2017

Being at this restaurant can definitely be a bit like being in a strangers living room since the space is so intimate but the atmosphere is very warm and immediately puts you at ease. A few things that should be considered ... the space is not big and my experience was that they do not pick up the phone so have a back up plan or you could be waiting a while. Also, don't go super hungry because everything is cooked by one person so your dinner will take a while and remember to bring a bottle of wine or some beer with you because while you're waiting for your meal you'll want to have something other than water to drink. And if you are a vegetarian, many if not all of the dishes consist of grilled meat and since the menu is limited and gets more limited as the evening wears on this is probably not a good choice. The food was delicious though and I enjoyed my experience there.

Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

The owner is generous and very kind! Her food totally amazing and delicious! The goat with spicy coco sauce , rice , banane plantain and salad was amazing! Tilapia is Also a very good choice!

Reviewed June 22, 2017

We went to Gracia Afrika on a weeknight with a group of 8 women to celebrate a birthday. While I reserved online, no one confirmed my reservation until after I called 4 days later to check. The lady who runs the restaurant, while exceedingly gracious and pleasant, speaks very limited English, so have someone with you who speaks French. From outside, the place is very unassuming, and gives no hint of what lies within. The room is small, but cosy and nicely decorated, with music playing in the background.The menu is not necessarily that on the website. It is rather limited and is written on a chalkboard. There were no appetizers or desserts, only main courses offered, which were cooked to order and took a long time to prepare. That being said, the odors that wafted from the kitchen only heightened our appetites. When it arrived, the food was absolutely delicious, and very generous in portions. Each plate comes with the main course, salad, a large portion of rice and fried plaintains. It is a BYOB restaurant, and you are encouraged to bring wine. We tried almost everything on the menu, and there was not one complaint from anyone (a miracle for this group). I would be happy to recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing to try a new cuisine.

Reviewed November 1, 2016

All good things come to those who wait. Be patient guys: this is Africa.
That said, those who visit will be rewarded with savoury and accessible African comfort fare in a cozy atmosphere. Take time to relax and enjoy your company over your drinks.
Try the griot, make sure to use the spicy sauce, and have the grilled chicken which is extra tender.
If you go once you will return - as a resident of Saint-Henri this is a go to spot for relaxing ambiance dinner.

Reviewed January 16, 2016

Let me start by saying that based on the amazing reviews I decided to give the restaurant a try. I first checked the website and the menu looked good, I wanted to try the Grillot des îles but when you get there, there is no menu, only what is written on the board is offered, So I decided to take the grilled chicken, and my husband took the chicken in peanut butter sauce plus a samosa. So after waiting for 45 minutes without any bread or anything else, I got my 5 cm samosas which look a lot like the ones that I can buy in the Indian store next to my house, I am really not sure those samosas are fresh made. So then I finally got my chicken ( 1 skinny leg with a skinny thigh) and a little bit of wilted salad. The chicken tasted like a day or 2 old, there is no way on earth that chicken was fresh. My husband as well received his 2 skinny legs in peanut butter, you don't want to pay 18 dollars for eating chicken legs, It should be stated on the menu that they will give you only a leg, no breast, nothing.
Anyway, the owner seems nice, but I don't go to a restaurant to pay 60$ to meet someone nice, So there is no way on earth I will go back, and I will not recommend even my worst enemy to go and try.

1  Thank Sideman