“Interesting experience”

Gracia Afrika
Ranked #1,315 of 6,221 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Reviewed June 22, 2017

We went to Gracia Afrika on a weeknight with a group of 8 women to celebrate a birthday. While I reserved online, no one confirmed my reservation until after I called 4 days later to check. The lady who runs the restaurant, while exceedingly gracious and pleasant, speaks very limited English, so have someone with you who speaks French. From outside, the place is very unassuming, and gives no hint of what lies within. The room is small, but cosy and nicely decorated, with music playing in the background.The menu is not necessarily that on the website. It is rather limited and is written on a chalkboard. There were no appetizers or desserts, only main courses offered, which were cooked to order and took a long time to prepare. That being said, the odors that wafted from the kitchen only heightened our appetites. When it arrived, the food was absolutely delicious, and very generous in portions. Each plate comes with the main course, salad, a large portion of rice and fried plaintains. It is a BYOB restaurant, and you are encouraged to bring wine. We tried almost everything on the menu, and there was not one complaint from anyone (a miracle for this group). I would be happy to recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing to try a new cuisine.

Reviewed November 1, 2016

All good things come to those who wait. Be patient guys: this is Africa.
That said, those who visit will be rewarded with savoury and accessible African comfort fare in a cozy atmosphere. Take time to relax and enjoy your company over your drinks.
Try the griot, make sure to use the spicy sauce, and have the grilled chicken which is extra tender.
If you go once you will return - as a resident of Saint-Henri this is a go to spot for relaxing ambiance dinner.

Reviewed January 16, 2016

Let me start by saying that based on the amazing reviews I decided to give the restaurant a try. I first checked the website and the menu looked good, I wanted to try the Grillot des îles but when you get there, there is no menu, only what is written on the board is offered, So I decided to take the grilled chicken, and my husband took the chicken in peanut butter sauce plus a samosa. So after waiting for 45 minutes without any bread or anything else, I got my 5 cm samosas which look a lot like the ones that I can buy in the Indian store next to my house, I am really not sure those samosas are fresh made. So then I finally got my chicken ( 1 skinny leg with a skinny thigh) and a little bit of wilted salad. The chicken tasted like a day or 2 old, there is no way on earth that chicken was fresh. My husband as well received his 2 skinny legs in peanut butter, you don't want to pay 18 dollars for eating chicken legs, It should be stated on the menu that they will give you only a leg, no breast, nothing.
Anyway, the owner seems nice, but I don't go to a restaurant to pay 60$ to meet someone nice, So there is no way on earth I will go back, and I will not recommend even my worst enemy to go and try.

1  Thank Sideman
Reviewed August 29, 2015 via mobile

You won't be disappointed. We had chicken, both social and peanut, and they were lovely, along with plantain and rice. And a small salad. Very good value. warm night so we sat in the small terrase in the back...quiet and romantic. Coffee not very good but that's life.

Reviewed December 27, 2014

Going here is an experience - not just a meal. It's not for when you are in a hurry. The atmosphere is relaxed and intimate. Mother Afrika is behind the curtain preparing each plate individually. The menu is printed on a board and changes from day to day. We ordered one of everything. A highly recommended adventure. Bon appetit!

1  Thank Joseph H