“Two Gems in Montreal”

Gracia Afrika
Ranked #1,048 of 5,670 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Boston, Massachusetts
“Two Gems in Montreal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

During my recent visit to Montreal, I discovered two restaurants and I feel obligated to recommend them to all. The first one is Gracia Afrika. This tiny Congolese restaurant is an excellent choice for those who are familiar with African cuisine as well as those who would like to discover it. The restaurant is owned and operated by one person. She cooks the food right in front of you like a mother. Lots of care and tenderness is poured into the food, and it shows when you taste it. Take cash with you and visit this place. The restaurant is located at 3506 Rue Notre Dames Oest. It opens daily from 5 p.m. and is closed on Mondays. The other restaurant is an Ethiopian restaurant called Le Nil Bleu located at 3706 St. Denis. It is traditional Ethiopian food with a modern twist. A must for those who love Ethiopian food and those who want to discover new horizons.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank bijanirani

Montreal
“A delightful and intimate restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went to Gracia Afrika for my birthday supper with a group of friends and our 18-month-old, and my oh my what a treat!

The chef/owner is a very gracious host. She runs the entire restaurant on her own and still manages to offer a wonderfully personalized service, but be ready to wait a little.

The restaurant is very intimate (about 20 spaces) so reservations are a definite must on weekends. We kept seeing couples and groups coming in only to be turned away, as it was full.

The decor is simple and lovely, with little hints of the owner's Congolese origins. Walking in, the delicious smell of spices made our mouths water. And the food! Oh, I can't say enough about how delicious it was!

I highly recommend Gracia Afrika to anyone who likes exotic and spiced food. You will not be disappointed! And be sure to bring your own wine.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MissGeorgiana
Newport, Rhode Island
“Fabulous Congolese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a tiny restaurant -- seating for maybe 20 -- run entirely by one woman using a standard four-burner stove. On the night my wife and I went, the menu had six options on it -- essentially fish, goat, chicken, and conch, grilled or prepared "wet" with a curry-like sauce. The protein comes with rice, salad, and fried plantains. The food we ate was fantastic.

The chef/hostess is a wonderful woman originally from the Congo (Kinshasa), very friendly, who speaks French and some English.

This is a bring your own wine establishment. Other non-alcoholic drink options weren't mentioned, but we always drink water so we didn't ask if sodas were available.

Get some hot sauce on the side. It's homemade, powerful, and very yummy.

• Visited March 2012