“Best authentic Chinese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kanbai

Kanbai
Ranked #980 of 5,678 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Montreal
“Best authentic Chinese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

It has been a long time since I have had real Chinese food like this. I do not mean the kind we get in "Chinese" Restaurants in NA. I suppose the fact that this restaurant is located near a University which has a high demographic of Chinese students helps. We had belly pork with steamed mustard cabbage, frogs legs casserole, and eggplant with tofu, the latter two pretty spicy and complex in flavour. The belly pork had been cooked until all the oil had come out, so not greasy at all. Vegetarian dishes are on the menu. I have lived in China many years, and the tastes just brought back memories. The dining room is pleasant enough, wines and beer which are sold by the glass or by the bottle.are not exorbitant. Service was attentive. Of course most of the menu is aimed at Chinese so not too many Westerners would order them.. too bad for them. Those who do not like "hot/spicy" dishes need to ask for guidance.. the food is mostly Sichuan, and Taiwanese. Bring cash or debit cards.. credit is not accepted. Fortunately for me, I live nearby so I will be back. They do have take-out service, but one should be careful as the food is put into Styrofoam containers, which can leak. It is a busy location and metered parking is available sometimes It is near a Metro Station. I believe there is another branch in Chinatown, but I have not eaten there.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank tedster074

Montreal, Canada
“Good and not too pricy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I will give it a ''very good'' rating because of the great Szechuan dishes that we ate there. its very tasteful and served quickly. it also tastes fresh. For the service though, I guess the waiting staff could be trained a little, its actually below average. But I have to say that I will go back because of the food and the more than fair prices. Simple set up and nice restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Marc L
Montréal, Canada
“Who gave this good reviews?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

We were told this resto has received very good reviews. All right then, let´s give it a try.
What a disappointment! To start, it´s small and cramped, looks more like a food court than a resto. Very VERY noisy.
Waitstaff is unhelpful and incompetent and none speak much English let alone any French.
Almost half the dishes we ordered were "unavailable today" so we had to choose other dishes. The first one came, we waited for the rest but it ttok so long that the first one was cold. Then the duck dish arrived, nice and hot but full of tiny bones! And finally when we were almost finished, the fried rice was delivered!
The food was no better than so-so, not worth the detour.
With a glass of wine or beer and including taxes and tip, our meal came to $19 each. Not money well spent. Oh, and they don't take credit cards to top it all off.

• Visited April 2014
Dover
“Some of the food is worth trying.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Some of the food was really good, and all of it was pretty reasonably priced. Almost everyone in our group had General Tso's chicken (boring, I know) and rice. The General Tso's was tasty. My husband and I also got fried pork spareribs which came 20 minutes after the rest of the food. The waiter never mentioned it would be a while for those, and we assumed he'd forgotten about them. We should have just told him to forget about them, because the meat was so tough, they weren't really edible. Although the restaurant was not very busy during lunch when we were there, I definitely felt rushed through the meal.

Later that day, I was sick to my stomach. No one else in our group was sick so it was probably just that the food did not agree with me personally, but nevertheless, I wouldn't go back.

• Visited March 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Good and Modest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Very conveniently located on Ste-Catherine street, this is one of the best Asian places in the area. The set up is simple but food is good and service efficient. Credit cards not accepted.

Visited January 2014