“Brunch”
Review of Prohibition Bistro - MOVED

Prohibition Bistro
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ottawa, Canada
“Brunch”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

What a great experience. It was breakfast and lunch.
Although very busy, the staff were incredibly attentive and polite. We were not rushed nor were people at other tables.
You need to book if you want to experience the fantastic menu.

Vancouver, Canada
“Not just brunch done well, but new taste brunch done superbly!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Went here for Sunday brunch with a group of people, because my friend had heard good things about this place. Good thing we arrived before the rush, because it isn't that big a place.

Brunch is a fine weekend tradition, and I almost always have eggs, but how could I resist maple challah French toast with fried chicken? I saw a plate of it going out to another table, and it was game over.

It was delicious! Decadent and sweet from the maple syrup, but balanced with the seasoning on the chicken. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Nice. Our table is all good friends so got to sample what others were having. Not a bad meal at the table! And you know you're hitting some good new recipes when the least loved entree was the Huevos Rancheros. Nothing wrong with it, just wasn't a new flavor to be savored. Will definitely go back!

• Visited May 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Nice atmosphere, great service”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner here last night with a friend. The place is casual, dimly lit and very clean. We ate at the bar and were served by one of the owners. The service was great, he was around when we needed him and didn't linger. We had meatballs to start, they were good but still a bit cold in the middle. I had the catfish, it was tasty but a bit overdone for my likes. My friend had the fried chicken and it was to die for!! We also shared the bacon wrapped deep fried Mars Bar. It was probably one of the best things I have ever eaten! My overall experience here was very nice and I will return. Good food, well priced for the Monkland village.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Sarah M
Montreal
“very average”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Reviewed by The Gazette as a gem. Well, I dint find it even close to be one. Hamburgers (praised by paper) was not on the menu. I ordered uber sweet something - two pieces of bread and very deep fried chicken. With sirop on a side. Crazy. And it was 15 dollars. Average ambience and almost empty space. Makes me wonder... how it was reviewed by paper...

Visited July 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Big disappointment...”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I reviewed this place before, and it was smashing for breakfast.
So naturally, I had great expectations for dinner.
Not so.

1) I had a nice Chardonnay, and that was the only good thing about the meal.

2) Catfish was overcooked. I am not sure it was catfish. It felt like it had been frozen and then rewarmed in the microwave, drowned in cheap oil and maybe butter. The risotto was a joke: clumped cafeteria grossness would be a better description. A rip off for 18 bucks.

3) Hanger steak: again, cafeteria fast food could have been better. Poorly cooked.

I scarfed down my fish because I was hungry but couldn't eat the "risotto". My husband struggled to eat the steak. In the end we gave up, paid the bill and ran away to have dinner at an Indian restaurant down the street.

VERDICT: DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THEY CAN BE SO GOOD FOR BREAKFAST, AND SO HORRIBLE FOR DINNER? OFF NIGHT? I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE THEM ANOTHER CHANCE, BUT I AM NOT CERTAIN I WOULD HAZARD ANOTHER DINNER THERE.

• Visited August 2013