“So happy I finally went!”
Review of Maison Publique

Maison Publique
Ranked #378 of 5,769 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Montreal, Canada
“So happy I finally went!”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The decor and atmosphere are fantastic! The food was spectacular. Unique combinations of flavours, perfect portions for sharing à deux. Love, love, love the architecture, so totally Montreal. I will absolutely go back.

• Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Second time here”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Had to come back as our first visit last summer was amazing. The food experience at this restaurant is unlike any I've had at other places. The menu is small but has items and dishes you will just not experience at other restaurants. Last year we had beef rouge and horse carpachio which was absolutely to die for. This time we had some house made sausages, fried rabbit, and lamb carpacchio. Not the easiest place for a vegetarian to eat to a meat eaters haven!!! We took our 8 yr old and she at the rabbit like it was candy! Can't wait to go back.

Montreal, Canada
“I really wanted to like this place”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I did. I really wanted to like this place, but it clearly did not live up to its hype. We were a party of three --our friend ordered three appetizers as his meal and my boyfriend and I ordered the steak to share, a 44oz piece of that came to $135 odd bucks. No explanations as to where the piece came from, or what it came with (hint: nothing), and whereas we ordered no appetizers we watched as our friend ate his while we waited for a hefty two hours. Luckily he was kind enough to give us a few bites of his apps, but we felt terrible taking from his meager dishes, and we had to ask twice for some bread to tide us over.

Then when our steak came , I was a bit gobsmacked to see it with its three pats of herb butter-- and nothing else. At this price, I either expect some sides to come with it, or at least an explanation from our waiter that it comes with no sides (especially since we had ordered no apps), and would I like to order some fries and greens on the side?? which we ended up doing, and were served an overly salty portion of sautéed beet chard.

I can't decide which was the worst part -- the fact that the crust on the steak was so horribly burnt that every bite tasted like a dirty grill, the fact that it was really rather 20oz once the bone and all the globs of fat were removed, or the fact that after having ordered the most expensive item on the menu, the waiter never once asked us how we liked it. Only when he came to clear the plates did I get the opportunity to voice my disappointment. He was kind enough not to charge us for the beet chard and gave us a complimentary dish of their ice cream, but it was still a bitter, burnt-tasting disappointment. I won't be back.

3 Thank Bich-Han
Toronto, Canada
“Was good but not worth the trek”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The cuisine is UK cuisine with a Canadian/Quebec twist using local ingredients. British food has come a long way but i've never put an English restaurant on the short list of great restaurants in any city and this one is no exception, despite the food being good. The ingredients were good, fresh and in season however the cuts of meat like the pork had way too much fat on them. Fat is flavor, especially pork fat...I usually lean towards more is better but there is a limit. This is part of the restaurant M.O. to keep costs down, they make a very concerted effort to be profitable and I respect that because so many people in the industry neglect that.

Some negative points...

First it's in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve area of Montreal, in the east end of the city . They are there for the low rents, again keeping with the profitable theme. It's slowly getting gentrified many say (very slowly if you ask me) but the area used to have a bad reputation mostly coming from a strong biker gang presence in the area and even biker wars. There is even a movie by the same name "Hochelaga" about bikers. This has quieted down almost completely since the police went postal on the bikers after they killed a child with a pipe bomb in the nineties. I wouldn't go as far as to saying it's dangerous but this is the kind of neighborhood where you'll see the occasional welfare cases drink on their front steps.

Being in this area, it's out of the way. If you get caught in traffic, it might be an expensive cab ride from the city. On the plus side, you should be able to find parking pretty easily when you get there (just watch out for the areas that require resident permits).

Another minus for the place is the "Shabby Chic" decor. Done right, this can be interesting but done cheaply, it's just shabby. The place smells a tiny bit of flea market because there is old wood and advertising "antiques" (1950's-1980's). It's not overly cluttered but most of the pieces are not great (I used to visit flea markets quite a bit). I kinda wish restaurants would stop doing this unless they actually displayed interesting pieces but for that you would need to be an actual collector.

Another minus is they only have Canadian wines for sale (again, trying to be profitable). I know Canadian wines are getting much better but let's face it.....most Canadian wines are just not that good and i've personally never tried a great one. Below average wine really drags the perceived quality of a meal down.

Be warned that menu, which I infer changes often, is on a blackboard and the selection was limited. I can always find something to eat but picky eaters who need a bigger selection than a few dishes might be disappointed if they don't see something they want right away. We were seating in a back room away from the menu, so we had to go take a picture of the menu and order looking at the pic on the phone.

Service was good, other than bringing me a birthday cake while my GF was in the bathroom.

I would say the chef is very good and generally on the right track but he's going to have to step his game up for me to make the trek to that location again.

2 Thank MontrealMMA
Montreal, Canada
“Waste of time and money”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Went there for a Sunday brunch, in a few words, the brunch menu is below average in terms of choices, the service was really bad, it took 40 minutes for the food to come and the restaurant was half full, in the meantime, nothing was served, no bread, no butter....nothing, the food was just ok yet very basic, there will be no second time.

1 Thank John51266