“A good local pub but not a destination”
Review of Maison Publique

Maison Publique
Ranked #423 of 6,034 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed January 13, 2013

As the name would suggest La Maison Publique is trying to be what the Brits call a gastro pub, and if I lived in the Plateau neighbourhood I am sure it might become my local, however, this is NOT a destination restaurant it is a hipster bar in a hipster neighbourhood.

Beer and wine selection was limited with the wine list being limited to Canadian wines only. The food tasted great but the menue was a very odd combination of startes and mains, and a pet peeve of mine is that the menue is only written on the wall in one corner of the bar so if you are not in that corner you have to keep getting up to read it, and if you are in that corner there are always people standing in front of your table to read the wall.

Lastly, while I understand a chef wanting to change the menue regularly, none of the items I had read about ,including the pie pictured above and the crab parfet were on the menue the night we were there.

We did have a great server so we had none of the service issues other posters have complained about.

1  Thank MQS007

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I am baffled at how rude the male host was in this restaurant. I understand this is a busy place and has lots of buzz but there is no need to act like you are better than every person that walks in the door. While we waited for our table, I watched him be rude to every person that walked in the door - it was like they were offending him for stepping foot on the premises. My whole experience was tainted by this. Food was good but I couldn't get over the initial experience - there are so many good restaurants in this city, I don't need to be treated like garbage just to enjoy some.

6  Thank MontrealYuppy
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was hesitant to try the Maison Publique, being a "no reservations" kind of place, especially on a Friday night. Well, we tried anyway and were rewarded. Upon arrival at the restaurant, we placed our name on the list and proceeded to a near by bar or a great Pisco cocktail, having a one hour wait time to kill. 15 minutes later, our table was ready so we quickly proceeded back to the MR.

The first thing you notice is the laid-back English pub ambiance, and some fine background music (always important in any restaurant).

The staff is friendly and know their stuff. Wine recommendations were perfect. We started by a fine glass of bubbles from BC, followed by some very good wines from Ontario and BC.

I strongly recommend a few dished:
The lamb
Bedaine de Porc
Calmar
Braised veggies

All dishes are simple but tastes explodes in your mouth. For example, the braised vegies ae served with a broth that is soooo tasty.

A must try for any foodie.

2  Thank PixelPeteB
Reviewed November 17, 2012

One of the most talented chefs in town has scored another winner with his new upscale pub, a delight from start to finish. How wonderful it is when it ALL works: the look, the textures, the service, the menu, the wine list (boldly Canadian), the beer...all orchestrated by the genial presence of Chef Derek. Pork bellies, squid and crab, luscious deserts in jars... makes me glad I don't live too nearby, too hard on the waistline.

2  Thank grahamcares
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I went there for a drink with friends. I did not know that they were expecting us to eat as well! Fortunatelty we did not have to order anything but the least they could have done is to tell that we HAD to eat. In their web site, the word "BAR" is written...We only had beer as the wine was too expensive.
Atmosphere is great and the waitresses are friendly. We will unfortunately do not go back as we got a bad look from the manager because we did not eat (hence the two statrs, otherwise we would have rated given a 3.5)