“Blackstrap BBQ”

Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
“Blackstrap BBQ”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I'm a real BBQ lover as i grew up in the south, some one recommended Blackstrap,so off we went.
Very small place with two communal picnic benches and a bar style shelf table with 6 stools, in summer they have 4 more tables outside, we arrived at 11;30am, by 12 noon it was packed with no more sit down space so i guess people were getting their order to go and going to their car to eat.
I had a Rib platter with a side of Brisket, ribs were great but needed a liberal dousing of sauce to take away the dryness, same with the brisket very nice but also needed lots of sauce, French fries were ho-hum and the coleslaw was inedible and looked a long way from being fresh aside from the fries everything was served at room temperature....
Wife had a pulled pork platter the pork was cold but add the sauce and didnt taste too bad, french fries were ho hum and coleslaw inedible, with 2. 7 ups bill came to $43 .
Not the greatest of experiences and i think i'd only go back for a take out order of their ribs..

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Award winning BBQ, worth the trip out of downtown.”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

In the urban crush of downtown Montreal there are many great places to eat, but how many are serving the same thing as others? At 4436 Wellington St., in Verdun, you will find Blackstrap BBQ, an award winning tiny restaurant with big flavour and reputation. I took the Metro, Green line, from Lionel-Groulx station near the Bell Centre, heading towards Angrignon and got off at the De L'eglise station, and walked the three blocks to Blackstrap. It is a placid suburan setting reminiscent of times gone by. (Be aware that your Metro ticket is good for 90 minutes but only for travel in one direction. You will need to pay again when you return.)
I ordered the Brisket and found it was moist and yummy. the flavour was both sweet and smoky. The fries were rustic cut giving them a real home made taste. The Coleslaw was tasty and not soggy. My dining mate had the chicken which was unique as they often sell out of it in an evening. The beers we had were surprisingly inexpensive and tasty;perfect for a warm sunny day outside on the patio. No pretense here, as the staff and owners are friendly and greeted me with an eager-to-please enthusiasm. There is but one bathroom and the place is not in anyway fancy...obviously not a high end dining establishment, but the food is good and I'm coming back with friends on my next visit. Must try those poutine with burnt brisket ends!

• Visited June 2013
“Not going back”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is the first time I've written two reviews on a place. First time thought it was pretty good, but went back last week and changed my mind about it. First of all, it's one of those places so prevalent in Montreal that has the "hipster" vibe. Like you walk through the door and they're thinking "is this person cool enough to eat our food?". Now if the food was awesome I wouldn't care about that, but for me the food doesn't justify the hype. It is very salty. This time around I couldn't really discern any flavor other than salt. It's expensive. $10 plus tax for the burnt end poutine. My friend got a pulled pork sandwich with 2 small sides and a beer and it was $20. For BBQ, that's out of bounds. But the biggest sin for me was the inconsistency. I got a different amount of "burnt ends" on my poutine than I did on my previous visit. I thought it seemed like a kind of paltry amount, and as I looked around at others who had the same thing (you are sitting on top of people so can't help but notice their food) it appeared they had more, and better pieces of meat as well. I will wait until I head south to get my BBQ fix from now on, where they don't gouge you on the price and you don't have to be cool.

Montreal
“tasty but dry”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stopped by to pick up an order of their ribs. They pack them to go in cardboard containers as opposed to Styrofoam, and this is put into a paper bag, not plastic. However, they give you plastic containers for the sauce. I found the ribs, tasty, but dry. I would come back. For someone who lives downtown, it is a little "out-of-the-way", however, parking was available when I came. Service was cheerful and fast.

Montreal, Canada
“One of the best BBQ in the City...”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Definitely not a fancy sit down restaurant, you order from the counter and either pick it up or they deliver it to your table. The ribs were excellent and certainly well smoked. Loved the cole slaw.