“Salty”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I went to Blackstrap on the recommendation of someone who raved about it. I was not as impressed.

First of all, there are only 2 picnic-style tables (which people seem to share) or diner-style counters. Not really conducive to a nice sit-down meal. So, we decided to take-out instead and eat at home. Ordered the ribs. Told "Sorry, we are all out of ribs". Seriously?

Ok, so then ordered the 1/2 chicken. It was tasty but the chicken and especially the fries, were just WAY TOO SALTY!

I might try it again, perhaps if they have any ribs left! But, will ask them to please hold the salt on the fries.

1  Thank BettyDee

Reviewed January 20, 2013

If you are looking for "fancy", well look elsewhere. However, if you want to sit down to mouth-watering great tasting ribs (and chicken) with the best french fries, then Blackstrap BBQ should be next on your list of "go-to" eateries. We sat down to eat at one of the shared picnic tables and waited for our order. It wasn't long and the food was excellent. The meat on the ribs was both plentiful and super tender and tasty! I have not had ribs in a very long time, but I suspect that the next interval will be much shorter... Give this place a try and I am guessing that you and your friends will be glad that you did.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The place is tiny, 2 tables share by customers, the portions are not huge, price quite expensive for such a place. Example, you want chicken ? no choice, the only meal available is 1/2 BBQ for 14$ for a small one. I took brisquet, not bad but not impressive. The is no service at the table, you take your order in a basket at the counter. Stricly no comparaison with our top places like Cote St-Luc BBQ or Chalet BBQ.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Minimalistic is not the word. Utterly simplistic is a better description. Relatively good southern smoked ribs with a much too vinagry cole slaw but great fries.
Nearly embarassing to give a tip for only.having the order placed on the computer and being expected to pay 15% tip. No service whatsoever. Rudimentary sitting at one of 2 long tables and some counters on hard metal chairs.
Expensive fast food,
Come on in, sit down, eat and get out.
You go once but then there are too many better options.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I grew up in the South (of the U.S.) and have made frequent visits to Memphis. I also married a woman from Kansas City, and I make a pilgrimage to a couple of top bbq shops in KC every year. I've also had plenty of Carolina and Texas style 'cue over the years. Oh, I started smoking ribs and pulled pork (and the occasional brisket, turkey, etc) on my own smoker almost a decade ago. All this is to say: I think I know a bit about authentic 'cue. Kids, this is the real thing. Chef / Owner Dylan Kier is doing something special in Verdun; he could (and has) hold his own in Memphis or KC. If you're visiting from out of town, take a 15 minute Metro ride from downtown and you'll be glad you did. Black Strap is just a couple of blocks away once you get off the train. As good as the ribs are (perfectly seasoned, not too tender, with a little bite) you'll want to save some room for the ultimate bar food: deep fried macaroni and cheese balls. I'd tell you to get the burnt ends poutine (an unholy combination sure to cure any hangover), but unless you bring friends it might limit your ability to consume meat.

Congratulation Montreal--you now know why Americans go nuts for real, low and slow barbecue.