“No Service ”

Cuisines: African
Neighborhood: Monkland Village
Neighborhood: Monkland Village
Reviewed November 8, 2018 via mobile

I Was really looking forward to trying East Africa as I love Ethiopian food. When I arrived at the restaurant it was busy. I sat down for about 15 minutes and the gentleman never came back with water or any explanation. I ended up leaving. I trust the food is better then the service.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed September 9, 2018

Took 2 and 1/2 hours for food to arrive even though we placed our orders at the same time as our reservation (we were 11 people) . How long does it take, even if they were only two people running the restaurant, to make the crepe like bread then just put the already cooked stew/curry on the bread ?? Apparently it takes 2 hours to do that. Not very smart to keep your customers waiting. Plus these two owners were unpleasant to say the least if you should dare ask them for anything extra. By the way , there is absolutely no difference between a beef dish or a lamb dish except you will be charged more for the lamb. Service was non existent. Enough said , I will not be back.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed February 18, 2018

A tiny little hole-in-the-wall place, run by an older couple, very modest and unassuming. You don't come here for a luxury experience, you come for the amazing food!

It takes a long time to prepare, so come ready to wait an hour or two, but when it comes, wow! You eat with your hands, pulling off pieces of the spongy bread and dipping it in the thick sauce.

The dishes are individual, but if you are several, they can prepare a common plate for up to 4, with 4 different dishes on the bread base, like a giant pizza, to share.

The food is spicy, but not super hot.

A great deal, an amazing meal for under $20, and it's BYOB too.

Highly recommended to anyone with adventurous tastes for whom it's all about the food, not the decor or spotless service.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed January 21, 2018

A friend reserved and ordered for 6 of us in advanced and by the time we got there, we waited for about an hour. We knew this would happen though since we read the reviews online and we were late as well so no complaints about that.

This restaurant is only for those willing to try out non-traditional restaurant experiences. It's run by an Ethiopian couple and lining the walls of the little place are paintings and cultural artworks from Ethiopia. The background music seems to be Ethiopian too and was definitely great for helping our group relax during a Sunday evening.

When we got the plate, we decided to dig in immediately and it seemed like the portions were very inadequate. We ordered two doro kye wott but we only got two small chicken legs. We also ordered a vegetarian combo platter but it seems like we only got one type of vegetarian dish. Nonetheless, it was delicious but I think the prices were a bit too high for their portions.

Service was I think...meh? The server seemed to be friendly and accommodating at first but we had to grab our own pitchers of water. It was also awkward interacting with the couple since they didn't seem to return our smiles and just, which I understand since it was night time and they seemed to be very tired. I guess this is normal for them?

Will I go back? Maybe and perhaps, but a friend said this would definitely not be ideal for a date nor your family visiting town unless they're feeling adventurous. :)

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed July 13, 2017

This place is so frustrating because the food is very good. The wait time to be served your food is anywhere from 1 to 2 hours! This applies even when the place is empty. They often do not have many of the items on the menu. There are no appetizers, drinks or anything to nibble on while you wait. The receipt was a piece of paper with $96.50 written on it and no breakdown of what was ordered. We waited 15 minutes just to get the receipt! Unfriendly staff as well. Too bad as the food is really very good. Small portions but not overpriced.

Date of visit: July 2017