“Passionate & Perfect”

Restaurant Mezcla
Ranked #127 of 5,682 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Latin, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: The Village (Gay Village)
Cross street: Sainte-Rose
Description: THE CONCEPT Nuevo latino is a mix of South American, mainly Peruvian, cuisines adapted to French and European cooking techniques. Mezcla specializes in that mix of cultures and influences that will surprise and delight discerning palates. THE CONCEPT Nuevo latino is a mix of South American cuisines adapted to French and European cooking techniques. Mezcla specializes in that mix of cultures and influences that will surprise and delight discerning palates. THE PRODUCTS All fish come from environmentally responsible fisheries. + Private import wines from a variety of Latin American countries and from Spain. Most of our dishes are proudly prepared using local Quebec products.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Passionate & Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

There are all kinds of restaurants and many that are great, but there are fewer where the craft, passion and skill of the entire restaurant staff fill the air to make it a perfect evening. Not at all expecting this, we had an extraordinary evening at Mazcla. Despite the fact that some of the menu items made my wife nervous (duck heart, blood pudding) we went for the 7 course tasting menu, chosen by the Chef with no idea what would arrive. The result was amazing with her being served those things she most worried about, not knowing and LOVING them! This is a skilled, creative and brilliant kitchen staff who cook with integrity and love. Many elements, each complex appear on the plate in a beautiful manner with exceptional tastes that are very accessible and comfortable. The service was equally as passionate and enthusiastic, very knowledgable, helpful and attentive. We loved Julie! Wine pairings were exceptional. The room is lovely, cozy, warm and a perfect environment for the feast. Come here and be taken away to the world of fusion Peruvian food and enjoy the magic!

• Visited November 2013

Montreal, Canada
“Simply Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I cannot comment on the service because obviously we were 1 of the 3-4 other tables on a Tuesday night, so everything was perfect, but I can comment on the food; as one of the best in Montreal and I'm comparing to those great ones, I can say it's on a level of 1 michelin star, well done!

Montreal
“i will return to dine again.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The restaurant located not far from st. Catherine Street in the gay village on a quiet street, the decor is very warm and trendy not over the top. The restaurant seats about 50, semi open kitchen concept which is cool.
We went on a Monday night it was quiet four tables of two, service was very good, wait staff knew what they were serving and could explain the ingredients.
We decided to go for the 7 course tasting menu at $79 we started off with a martini only because no pisco sour was available (due to saq)
The amuse was crispy duck very tasty followed by the highlight of the night scallop wrapped in salmon this dish had a lot of flavour, next course was the octopus with a black olive sauce not bad, followed by a potato dish with cheese and pesto this was the low point of the night we both agreed it should have been the first course or not a course. Next course was a shredded filo dough deep fried giant shrimp the purple corn reduction was very nice with the shrimp, this was followed by a blood pudding empanada with yucca foam I am not a fan of blood pudding but this was not bad.
The next course was a take on Sheppard's pie, braised beef topped with potato and fried green onions it was a good dish.
The last course dessert was Mezcla take on pudding chomeur served with ice cream.
We had a bottle of wine Rioja Reserva 2006 at $57 I believe
Tax and tip $150 each
There is talent in the kitchen that you can see in some of the dishes, I will be going back to try a couple of the a la carte dishes.

Toronto
“Stellar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Aside from the delicious food - we had the 5 course tasting menu - the service was really exceptional. We changed our reservation 3 TIMES! (for this I am truly sorry) but nothing was too much trouble. It was all handled graciously.

Even when we arrived minus one of the people in our party, a new table was organized by the staff without skipping a beat. Kudos in particular to Nelly whose demeanour was friendly and personable on the phone and in person.

I only wish this restaurant were closer to where I live - a repeat visit is definitely in order.

Montreal, Canada
“An off night or signs of things to come?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I understand that my review may be contrary to many others with regards to this restaurant, and I acknowledge that the best of places can have an off night; however I was EXTREMELY disappointed. The service was polite by amateur, the food was bland, and they were out of several staples (ie vodka!). I spent $115 for one person, and I want my money back. I went home annoyed and hungry. Also, the chairs were horribly uncomfortable! I had to take 2 Advil for the backache I had. I wouldn't go back.

• Visited September 2013