“Great food, good ambiance”
Review of Helena

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Saint-Maurice
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Food and ambiance are great.
Service will improve with time.
A bit pricey at night but very reasonable Table d'Hote for lunch.
Reservations suggested during busy weeks.

There are newer reviews for Helena

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had a business lunch and we both ordered off the table d'hôte. Overall the food was well above average but not quite deserving of a "very good". As my title says it is not as good as Ferreira Cafe which, in my opinion, sets the bar for a Portuguese restaurant in Montreal.

Our waitress was mediocre, thankfully there were good and attentive bus boys and a couple of folks who looked like management who were able to get our food to us. Speaking of getting the food, the appetizers took forever to arrive and were clearly forgotten until we reminded our waitress.

The quality of the fish we were served was very high and it was excellently cooked. The flavours however were not even throughout each bite. I know that different flavours in different bites can be a good thing, but not when certain bites are over powered by saltiness.

All that said, given the reasonable price for a business lunch (22$ per person, no tax, tips or drinks) and the location and the decor I would go back to Helena.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Trendy portuguese restaurant in a nice Old Montreal neighbourhood, with great ambiance and decor. The service is friendly though a bit slow. Contrary to others reviews, we found our food rather average and way too expensive for the quality offered. Good for the atmosphere, but for portuguese cuisine, there are other places in Montreal.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Last Valentine's day my husband and I ventured into the 2nd Montreal restaurant for this daring chef and I must say we were not disappointed. We opted for the Menu Dégustation which is a must when Héléna herself is in the kitchen. We relaxed over fresh tapas for 2 1/2 hours while the hustle and bustle around us was cheerful. Reservations are a must.
The tomato salad was fresh and delightful, the cod cakes with the aioli were sublime and I did not even had to ask for another serving of the mayo-based sauce, it just appeared.
The squid, which would not have been a personal choice, got rave reviews by both of us. The braised beef fell of the bone.

Wine served by the glass can be tasted first, as they only offer portuguese selection by private importation.
We will definitely return!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

By far one of the best Portuguese restaurants in Montreal. The service is impecible and the food is excellent in presentation and taste...Congratulation Helena on another success.